Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

That’s a surprise but I agree about a rewatch.
    I did one during its run and they was enough.
    I understand your feeling about the Sopranos and the mob genre is exhausted for me.
    But I do hope you check out Mad Men, would love to hear your thoughts.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

"It's toasted" is up there with "you ain't eatin' ham if you ain't eatin' Wham". Is advertising really that easy?

GMfan87' likes this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Adeuhseuhdats all folks...

4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Rewatching the season 6 with my wife, so didn't see them when they became avaliable, and I couldn't wait.

When Fring goes to the laundromat and has the final confrontation with Lalo, he notices the damaged fan where Lalo entered. Lalo suddenly appears and shoots out his four bodyguards.

So what happened to their bodies? A big deal was made about two bodies (Lalo's and Howard's) being buried under the lab, so these clearly weren't buried there as well.

slipkid and ubiknik like this.
  5. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think when all is said and done the last season of BCS was pretty freakin' brilliant. Storylines were resolved, with a few surprises along the way, but with a rational underpinning, just as we saw with BB. Some folks have argued with this or that detail, but there's always a reasonable counterargument.

ssmith3046, chili555 and Scott57 like this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Maybe they were the first layer in that ditch/grave.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Sometimes scenes will come up on youtube. Season One with Mike killing the bad Philly cops. Had to go back and watch Season 1, Episode 6 "Five-0". Extraordinary acting and writing.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

"It's toasted" was the first example in Mad Men of changing the story in advertising. The story of regulators cracking down on tobacco companies, prohibiting them from making any sort of health or safety claims, and requiring disclosure about the risks of smoking. The client and the ad execs were obsessed with how to address this to give themselves a competitive advantage. Don's epiphany in the meeting was to tell a new story--one that had nothing to do with health risks or dance around the regulations, but to tap into people's love of smoking. If you remember, the very first conversation in S1E1 was about that.

It was inspired writing, very cerebral, and historically of interest too, as it ties into a Lucky Strike ad campaign over a century ago.

It’s Toasted

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Well, today is a big day in Saul World: the release of “Better Call Saul- The Complete Series” DVD set. I ordered mine through Deep Discount, currently at $119.99. That’s the lowest price I could find, with Amazon charging $32 more. I’m sure it’ll drop there and other places from the $215.99 list price.
    upload_2022-12-6_16-52-50.jpeg

stereoptic, GregM, Playloud and 2 others like this.
  10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

That cover blows. Is that the best they could come up with?

11. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I’m surprised that there was no elaborate Collector’s Edition like the Breaking Bad complete series set that came in the barrel. Or are sets like that a thing of the past?

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

As long as there are 19 discs full of premium productions, and bonus features, I’d be happy if they came in a greasy Los Pollos Hermanos bag. Or bucket.

upload_2022-12-6_17-47-43.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    stereoptic, Amnion, Riktator and 6 others like this.
  13. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I was thinking of the wooden box that a bottle of Zafiro Añejo Tequila comes in, but the chicken bucket works, too!

Riktator, slipkid and Jerry like this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Dang, I was hoping for a complete 4K box set combining BCS and BB like @Jim Pattison said above. Barring that, a BCS 4K set would be preferable to regular old blu-ray. It streamed in 4K, so how can they not be offering that on disc?

stereoptic and MPLRecords like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't go for the Complete set because I have bought all the Blu-ray sets as they came out. My final season Blu-ray set arrived today.

Scott57 and Jerry like this.
  16. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

To get folks to double-dip when they release the 4K discs later?

GregM likes this.
  17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I was interested to buy the set, but after reading people's feedback on packaging I changed my mind. Looks quite poor.
    Probably will collect single seasons one by one. They are not cheap though.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

IFC will be showing all 13 episodes of Season 6 on December 30.

Dayfold and twicks like this.
  19. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Are they ever going to put season six on netflix?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Aside from a few obvious moments, I thought there was quite a drop-off in drama in the final two seasons. Really, the series peaked with the Chuck storyline, though it's not like the quality fell off a cliff; until the very end it was the best show on television.

21. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Its been on Netflix where I am for months, had no idea that wasnt universal.

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Totally agree. I think the Chuck subplot was the high point, but Odenkirk's performance consistently maintained some magic even if the direction the show took was ultimately disappointing.

23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It is not universal. Release date is different everywhere. Canada is a year or so behind.

24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I was never disappointed with this show. Loved the Chuck line as well.
    What really fell of the cliff is 'Ozark'. Total let down at the end. And I enjoyed the first two seasons, was okayish with the third.

Lonson and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I only have the first five seasons available ???