Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I reached out to my friend who works on BCS. Haven't heard anything yet.

Shawn and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sending positive thoughts !!!!

GMfan87' and Nightfly68 like this.
  3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I started watching SNL in 1988 when I was 9 years old. Of course I had no idea at the time, but Bob Odenkirk, Robert Smigel and Conan O’Brien were all writers there. I realize now that those three guys have basically defined comedy for me. Like everyone else, I also had no idea that Bob wrote the Matt Foley sketch for Chris Farley, still one of the funniest things ever made. I was a huge fan of Mr Show and saw them live in Portland in 2002. I was really excited when Bob was cast in Breaking Bad and feel like he finally got his due, becoming a big star (and a very good actor) with BSC. I wish him and his family a speedy recovery.

Watch Bob’s Manson sketches on the Ben Stiller show if you’re in need of cheering up. “I’ll cook brain stew for dinner Jack!!”

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Chrome_Head, Shawn and trd like this.
  4. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Bob had a guest spot on a very funny Newsradio episode in the '90s. Worth checking out the full episode if you can:

5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

8-12 hours (overnight at least) and nothing is being released regarding his condition? Surely it wouldn't take this long if it was just dehydration?

Like everyone else, I'm rooting for him.

6. alexpop

Bryan Cranston said “ he’s getting the medical attention he needs”

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Not really. We don’t deserve to know anything, and they might not actually know anything at this point anyway.

Bob’s not your uncle.

alan967tiger and trd like this.
  8. alexpop

Who’s “we”?

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

The public.

10. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Me too, can't take the heat. I hope it is nothing serious, he has always come across like a nice, decent guy, will keep him in thoughts and prayers.

MikeInFla and alexpop like this.
  11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I have never seen social media universally come together to support one individual like they have for Bob Odenkirk since his collapse.

mattdm11, Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Seen his “Nobody “ film a few weeks ago, found it very good. Apparently Bob trained for two years as his character demanded a lot of action scenes.

AintGotHalfOf and Vidiot like this.
  13. alexpop

Incredible. Nice to see Twitter with a lot of love for a change.

14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

That's so nice to hear, the upside of social media. Probably has a lot to do with that he was on one of the greatest, beloved shows of all time, plays a lovable rascal of a character.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's hard for me to see Gilligan getting an ounce of finger-pointing on this issue. Nobody ever had to slog through an interrupted production schedule mess like the industry has these past two years. Nobody could have predicted it.

Naturally though, thoughts and prayers. I'm sure the rigors of getting this intricate project finished properly has weighed as heavily on the showrunner's mind as anybody elses'.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Vidiot, Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd be just as happy for him to hang on long enough to enjoy the fruits of his labors thus far in life. If it meant his health or his contract, I know how I'd choose for him.

Yes, obviously I want more story. Hell, I've got three unseen episodes from the last season just sitting on my DVR, because I somehow missed the one before that, and I've been awaiting a warning of a season marathon just so I could catch up to the rest of the world on this show. Still, I've been through a health scare last year, and I know how ones' priorities change on a dime. And as I recall, my fine cathodic-ray-friend...so have you.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes the show is obviously a very distant second to his life, and family.

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My point was about using actors who are older (and look older) to play supposedly younger versions of themselves in a multiseason prequel after a blockbuster initial show that is now being set up as a sequel (with the actors all looking much younger). The entire thing is ridiculous in that sense and predictably so. Actors are human and they age as we all do in ways that makeup and hairpieces can't cover up.

Agreed--I don't think many people understand how much it can take out of a lead to be involved in a multiseason hit show. Gandolfini really struggled with the pressures of that and his life came to a very premature and tragic end. Hopefully Odenkirk has a better outcome. As risk factors go, he is certainly not as overweight as Gandolfini.

Dillydipper likes this.
  19. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Not disagreeing at all, but main issue now should be with Bob and him getting well.....

20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I'm sure there are immense pressures, but it's a dream to be on a hit multi season show, there's downsides to everything, and an awful lot of upsides to this.
    Far as I can see Odenkirk doesn't look overweight at all. Gandolfini's premature death surely can't be blamed for being the star of "The Sopranos". By many accounts he loved to indulge, and he assume he didn't want to cut back and keep weight in check. Sad end.

21. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I know you are just responding to another comment, but as we all know not being overweight doesn't tell nearly the whole picture. Was he a smoker? What did he eat? Genetics? My dad was 6'3 185 but heavy smoker with bad genes and a lot of meat and dairy, and dropped dead at 56, his dad dropped dead at 51 or 52.

LivingForever likes this.
  22. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Damn, that sucks to hear the news about Bob. Hope he gets well.

In regards to BCS, I was kinda hoping the whole final season would be in the present day (meaning after the events of Breaking Bad). But they've clearly left too many loose ends to do that.

23. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Sorry to hear of your losses. Very true there can be underlying issues, undiagnosed.. hope for his sake it's nothing of the kind.

mattdm11 likes this.
  24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I read an article about the pressures Gandolfini faced--just getting to the set early in the morning sounds like a PITA. He was not paid what he was worth until several seasons into it, and by that time the responsibility of carrying the show was getting to him. They don't pay you $1 million per episode unless you really earn it. I absolutely think it took a lot out of him. Pure speculation whether he would have lived longer without the stress of it, but the article made it seem so. Of course all of us "normal" workers face similar challenges and are never compensated like that, and no one cares if we collapse.

brew ziggins likes this.
  25. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes we tend to see the glamorous parts and the finished product but hardly anyone walks away from the careers so the benefits must far out weight the rest.
    From little I read about him it sounded like he had other issues, and the show may have added to the stress. When you think how absurd it is to get millions an episode or season..anyway let's keep focus on Mr. Odenkirk.

JediJones likes this.