"Better Records" website and their business practices as they apply to our hobby*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by violetvinyl, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, makes sense. My guess is most people will only put that kind of money out for a few top favorites. To go out and buy 20 or more copies of the same album to find the one magic disc, he has to be able to find a bunch of copies, go theough them all and then put it up for sale. I'm sure it's a lot harder than it sounds, so you only want to do this with very safe titles. I think I would burn out pretty fast doing what he does. It would destroy my favorite hobby. I'm not defending his business model, I just think it is probably a bit difficult if his stuff sounds as good as he claims. I just can't believe anyone would spend $500 on a record.

2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Going out for business!

[​IMG]

2xUeL, soundQman and Jrr like this.
  3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I can. Not on any of those super huge, multi-million sellers like his, but on something very rare, very hard to obtain, etc., I can see.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

True, but the op was talking about his observation that they typically just offer very pedestrian, easy to obtain titles, which is what I have observed too whenever I am lacking in a sense of humor and trot on over there for some guaranteed good laughs!

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I just got up and I'll be taking care of some business pretty quick. I think I feel it coming now.

6. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Sure, if you prefer The Beatles in Mono. But Mr. Port clearly states he prefers The Beatles in Stereo.

7. violetvinyl

violetvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

He may prefer it, but why not give the option? He's already limited his clientèle demographic enough, hasn't he? He's just toe-ing his own company line.

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This thread keeps repeating itself but what it really comes down to is all you really buy from Tom is his own hype. What you hold in your hands is a $5 record that he has decided to sell for $500, or more. Try to resell that to me, or anyone else, and just watch their reaction. Contrast that with the Classic Led Zeppelin titles that I bought far too few of for $29.99 and now sell for $200-400. I waste enough money on this hobby already. My advise to anyone is to find your own "Hot Stampers". I have hundreds on my shelves for which I paid less than $5. At that price, if I don't like what I have I can resell it for $.50 to my local shop pain free. IMO, his site really caters to the super rich who want someone to "manage" their hobby for them because they're either too busy or ignorant to have a hobby.

9. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Good advice at that. I'd rather find my own too. Besides, I like the challenge.

Sometimes Port gives out a little too much information on his website that makes finding your own "hot stampers" that much easier.

Thanks Tom! :D

2xUeL and sonofjim like this.
  10. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

No, not really. Since we're repeating things in this thread... he sells records which he thinks sound amazing, for outrageous prices. And he offers a full money back guarantee, so it's up to the buyer (and that buyer only) to decide if the purchase was worth it for them.

Some people are rich, and don't want to spend the time digging for their own "hot stamper", which is why Port has a business model, that seems to be working very well for him and his customers.

Some people don't want to make a hobby out of digging for the best sounding pressings. They just want to buy a good sounding record and don't care what it costs.

polchik likes this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I believe you just dissected my post only to pretty much agree with everything I said. I don't have a problem with that as I agree with pretty much everything you said. To each his own I guess, right?

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Wow, this thread is like listening to dozens of copies of the same title. I just read the same argument from about a year ago! Problem is, it's not hot.

13. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

No, I do not agree that when you buy a record from him, you are buying his "hype". You are buying a great sounding record. Otherwise, I think we both see the issue very clearly, but from slightly different perspectives.

Slick Willie likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'll tell ya'...a lot of those tube cut 2.0's are purt dang sweet!!!!!!!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Still a little confused on the 'hate' for all things Port. I would say that most here agree that all pressings are not the same. Methinks most would be willing to fork out more for the top tier pressings of bands we love. And ya' gotta' agree that most here have strong opinions on said subject.
    So....maybe the biggest difference is that he has a website/business, charges heavily for his services, and divulges no matrix info?

George Blair likes this.
  16. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Agreed, this thread keeps repeating itself...might as well join in the fun and repeat myself as well! :D

Their process of curating might have more to do with finding pressings with low hours that are also free from factory defects opposed to finding records pressed from superior stampers. (In all fairness, the more I think about it, the idea that all stampers aren't created exactly equal makes sense, though the degree to which each of us can hear the difference is certainly open to interpretation.)

I think the business model has potential in that it's a service that takes the hassle out of finding a super-clean copy of an album on someone's want list, but they are light years from getting my dollars, partly because of the prices but also because I would never ever ever buy a record online without being able to see quality photos of the jacket and the labels. I think their failure to do this strongly indicates that they are not looking for experienced, knowledgeable collectors as clientele. A couple of funny anecdotes regarding this:

Their copy of Pet Sounds doesn't indicate if it's a stereo or mono copy... :crazy:

Their Beatles records don't indicate if they're British or US or any other country of origin... :crazy:

PS: You would think that the comedic value of perusing their inventory would come at a price of some sort but nope, it's right there for anyone with an internet connection to get countless hours of pleasure from!

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    ZippyPippy and Lost In The Flood like this.
  17. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Regarding the grading system, why even use one? Shouldn't a record that costs that much have the highest possible grade imaginable on each side? If it's a near-mint, near-perfect copy that will fetch top, top dollar in lieu of how perfect it is, why compromise how great the copy is with a grading system that divides mint into 7 microscopic categories?? How many times a day do you think their listening team says the word 'minus'? "I'd give that side a mint-minus-minus-minus, Joey, maaaybe a mint-minus-minus." I'm also yet to see a side that scores simply "A+". What's the point of the first "+" then?? Scrap the 'detail' given by the grading system and replace it with the infinity more useful details provided by good photos of the actual jacket and labels.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    ZippyPippy likes this.
  18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Tube cut 2.0s??

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

it probably helps that he's in L.A. too. As the old saying goes, location, location, location. Although he does online sells it probably helps to be in a music/entertainment capital. Plenty of money around town and plenty of product floating around that area.

I agree with the poster who said he wouldn't want to do Tom's job because it would ruin his hobby of listening to music for pleasure. I whole heartedly agree.

20. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

EDIT: Apparently, on the "Top 100" page you can see the record label for those LPs.

Has anyone ever tried contacting them about what pressing a particular record is? Will they tell you if you ask?

21. Slick Willie

2.0 = stereo, sorry to confuse.

22. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ah! Yes. I'm hit or miss with those, but have had good luck with some tube represses and also solids from the 70s.

I picked most up for less than $20 too - why would I spend $500 for something that's going to sound just as good?

Slick Willie and snorker like this.
  23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

You're assuming he actually listens to all this stuff. I doubt it.

24. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

He writes his staff consists of 6 people that do the work.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yeah, he says that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.