Better Things FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Starts tonight, from creators
    Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K.

[​IMG]

somnar likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll be checking it out.

Scope J likes this.
  3. Scope J

It's kinda cute, has potential.

Deesky likes this.
  4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I have it recorded. Love Pamela. Love Louie too. Should be great.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, it sort of is. Lots of Louie CK touches, like old-timey music and cute kids' moments with some adult humor here and there. Not sure what to make of it yet and how it will develop, but I'm happy to keep watching.

Scope J likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That "old-timey music" (not what I'd call it) is by Slim Gaillard. That was the best part of the show for me, but then I'm a big Slim Gaillard fan.

It was okay as a pilot. . . . We'll see what happens in the next episodes, I'm not completely sold though I do love the Smurfette.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  7. Scope J

Second ep. is pretty good .

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, a bit better. Music wasn't as good though. ;)

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Good episode, not better or worse than the first IMO. I think they'll all be pretty much at the same narrative level, featuring different slices of life from an average family that just takes things as they come. It's a spiritual successor to Louie without the standup bits and the more surreal elements.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I agree. It's the female twin to Louie. Same tone and feel. I loved her speech. Awkward. Uncomfortable. And awesome.

Deesky likes this.
  11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Liking this show. I manages to be both edgy & chill at the same time. Love me some Pamela A.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Enjoying this one. Which is typically a sign that a show will get cancelled. But at least it's not one of those shows building towards a suspenseful revelation that will never happen if it gets cut short. So I can enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

The 3rd episode was much better. "Put some pants on."

14. Scope J

Really liked this weeks ep.

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Agreed. This show is unlike any other on the air. It seems like the least "written" show around, no surprise. I just have to mute the TV whenever the oldest daughter talks.

16. dougotte

Why?

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Normally it's okay-but when she gets into whiny mode (which is often) it's like listening to a rusty hinge. She seems to be the least mature of the daughters. Just my thing-it doesn't detract from an excellent show.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Excellent episode. I agree with the comment made earlier that this show feels organic and unscripted and that's a very difficult thing to pull off for a scripted show.

I loved the last scene where the episode's various family tensions and squabbles melt away in a family tickle fight. Such a sweet moment to end on.

19. dougotte

I understand. She can be an annoying character, but she is a teenager, and that's how they are. It reminds me of my own daughter, several years ago. In fact, the most touching episode for me so far was when she was going through her little crisis about her future. My heart went out to her and to Sam.

20. Scope J

Anyone know when S01
    will be on Netflix?

21. Scope J

S02 September

22. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

For the last week, my wife was pointing out commercials for Better Things, saying she thought it looked like it might be good. We didn't realize there had already been a season one. We watched the season opener, both liked it, and when I figured out we had a lot to catch up on, I bought season 1 on Amazon. We watched the first six episodes last night. I'm just blown away at how hilarious, loving, hilarious, heartfelt, hilarious, poignant, and just plain hilarious this show is. And the music is also fantastic. I almost want to watch those first six again before continuing on. That was the best three hours of watching TV I've had in years. Just freaking brilliant.

Note to @Steve Hoffman: DO NOT WATCH THIS WONDERFUL SHOW WITH YOUR CHILDREN!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    tman53 and Scope J like this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yup, it's a very good show. I thought they wrapped things up pretty quickly with the daughter (you know, the s**tty one) in the season 2 opener, and for the better. Always look forward for the next episode.

Done A Ton likes this.
  24. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Great show. Looking forward to watching Season 2. Adlon is just brilliant but I am disappointed that her daughter is dating Jaden Smith.Who comes across as a typical Hollywood spoiled brat.:confused:

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

One of the very few shows(Episodes is another) where I find myself laughing out loud. A lot. The writing is brilliant, and the acting it's equal. I have a huge crush on Ms. Adlon. I have since Californication. Please don't tell my wife.

Scope J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.