Better Things FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Wow. I didn't think I'd ever find someone else who liked Episodes.
    I've also been fond of Adlon since Californication, but she obviously hit her stride in Louie. They were sitting together at this years Emmys.
    About the new episode: I cringed a little during the truth or dare scene with Duke. I'm generally not a fan of children spouting dialogue that is way beyond their years (there's precocious, and then there's just creepy), but this show seems to straddle that line fairly well-except for this scene (I know Duke has a bit of a potty mouth). Otherwise a pretty good episode. I loved her takedown of Max's boyfriend. I actually thought she held back a little. It was strange that Sam allowed that whole relationship to happen at all-a 16 year old and a 35 year old? I get that Sam has a somewhat hands-off approach to child rearing, but this strained credibility. Still one of the most unique shows on the air, and definitely not for everybody.

2. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

After writing my rave review of season one, I've got to say that season two is pretty disappointing to both my wife and me. The hilarity is missing in action, imo.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Haven't watched tonight's episode, but I'm still enjoying it a lot, and find myself laughing out loud more then I do with most shows.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I just don't know how I'm supposed to feel about Sam. She's so aggressively unhappy all of the time. She can be absolutely noncommittal (almost cruel) with her kids in one moment, then caring and "motherly" in others-it's almost like she's bipolar. Her reaction to her feelings about Robin (Elliot from E.T.-holy crap) really had me cringing. She seems to be allergic to happiness. And how was she and her ex-husband ever a couple? Don't know if I can stick with this.

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I never thought it was hilarious. It's a dramedy. There are funny moments, but then there are serious moments. I find the balance to be about the same as last season.

I have been noticing this theme more this season than last season. It is bugging me a bit.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sam has never really been a likable person in the traditional sense. She's more of a tomboy (all females in her family have male names) and identifies less with traditional female identity.

What's more, she's at a stage in her life when she thought she'd be done with all that relationship nonsense and now finds herself in a unique and uncomfortable position, not knowing what to do. She's overwhelmed.

It's a character study much more than a comedy. Much like Louie (without the standup bits) was.

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

You make very good points, except about her "tomboyness". I don't see how that affects her likeability; at least to me it doesn't.

And, I can understand her reticence to Robin. She's been burned by men many times before, and he seems almost too good to be true.

I should have been more clear that I was agreeing with Splungeworthy's comment about Sam's relationship with her family. She's always reacted sarcastically to their whining etc., but this year she seems to really hate their impositions. At least, that is, until the end of the episode when she realizes how much she really loves them.

It's this dynamic that seems more aggravated in Season 2's scripts.

8. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I don't. This season it seems all dram- and no -edy.

9. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I'm getting caught up on this. Adlon is a delight. I lost track of how many episodes of Louie she stole from under the star's nose. So far I'm liking that Better Things has a similar tone without being an obvious spin-off.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

You're sort of correct. She is a delight. But this is a carbon copy of Louie. In fact... he's written or co-written every episode this season. It reeks of Louie-ness. And that's a good thing.

I loved them together also. All the best episodes of his show had Pam in them.

Splungeworthy and Deesky like this.
  11. I like it but I keep thinking about Bobby Hill whenever she speaks. It is more depressing than funny this season.

12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Well, we do see how self-destructive she actually is in this week's ep.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep 6 - so weird, so wonderful.

14. Chris from Chicago

This was the most touching half hour of tv I have ever watched. Amazing

Deesky likes this.
  15. Chris from Chicago

Wow. I saw a completely different episode than you did. I saw someone who worked really hard to provide for her family. And justifiably felt unappreciated.It was heartbreaking. It was real. And it was fabulous.

Granted, she may not be the greatest parent in the world. But I found nothing self destructive about her last night.

Deesky likes this.
  16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

My comment refered to Episode #5 - "Phil". In particular, the very last scene.

17. Chris from Chicago

Gotcha. And you'd be absolutely right

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've been thinking about the episode and especially what Frankie had to say at the fake funeral.

She says that every day of her life, she wales up and feels bad. That she feels like she's not going to get through this day with all the stuff going on in her own head. She needs to offload some of her pain on her Mom because she knew she could carry it when she (Frankie) could not...

Whoa, that's some heavy s**t! I would be very surprised if these issues weren't addressed at some point in a future episode. Is she depressed, potentially suicidal, bullied? Are there gender identity issues? I just feel there will be much more to this brief moment of honesty and self reflection.

19. Chris from Chicago

All very valid observations. Especially since she carries herself as the most self assured and self confident.

20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes better than the first few of this season. That Jeff is a piece of work.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I assume you're alluding to what he said at the very end of the episode? Frankly, I don't know what to make of it. It could be interpreted in two, completely different ways.

It could be interpreted as obscene, vulgar and insensitive - a real piece of work!

Or, did he say the most vile thing he could think of to get out of an awkward situation? After all, he did say something completely beautiful to Sam just a few moments earlier that made Sam tear up with emotion and it looked like to it might lead to an intimate moment. But then, Sam went 'nutso' with the 'no-no-no' (over)reaction, and so Jeff went nuclear to completely defuse the situation.

Hard to say which is the correct interpretation...

22. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Yes, I was. I hadn't given Jeff credit that it could have been your option #2, but I suppose it could have been.

BTW, Saturday my wife asked me to give the dogs a bath, and I used Jeff's line, "if you could just taste..." We both had a good laugh.

23. Chris from Chicago

My two cents...

What he said was not calculated. It wasn't a thought out plan. What it was... was an obscene, spur of the moment, effort to get some action that not only backfired horribly... But did Sam a great favor because she was thinking about going through with... something with this guy. And that comment saved her from it.

Done A Ton likes this.
  24. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I tend to agree with Chris's assessment. Jeff lost out due to his stupidity & giving Sam just what she needed to extricate herself.

25. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

That's how we saw it. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.