Better Things FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Episode 3 (with the monkey) seemed a little lackluster to me. But, every episode can't be outstanding, can it?

Episode 4 was interesting, and 1) surprisingly frank with the sexual content; 2) I don't think I was aware of "pod drivers".

2. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

This season has been excellent. I'm glad Adlon has been able to continue on despite the Louis C.K. controversy.

The last episode was very strong and surprising.

3. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

What I've been most impressed with this season is the confidence Adlon has in herself. The first and last episodes show a woman in a pretty vulnerable position (trying on clothes too small/sex with someone she doesn't like). As the director and actor, she doesn't seem to be holding back. This season hasn't been quite as funny as prior seasons, it is still quite excellent and one of the best shows on TV.

jpelg likes this.
  4. dougotte

I forgot about Xander. I didn't recognize him. Per IMDB, he's been in 5 episodes, but the episode descriptions are so vague ("Sick" - "Sam is sick") that they don't spark any memories.

5. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Was Sam/Pam masturbating in that last scene last week?

6. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Yes. Oh, yes.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll have what he's having! :)

kouzie likes this.
  8. dougotte

I guess there are isolated areas in the Hollywood Hills where you can just stop your car and do that.

jpelg likes this.
  9. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

This past episode was really good. "I gave the last one to Duke" "What?" Duke is my favorite daughter. Frankie can easily be total b*itch but it was nice to see her help her sister. Matthew Broderick's character was a little strange. If I discovered that I knew my therapist when I was younger I think I'd find a new one. Sam's sex life is a little complicated with her ex. Does anybody think anything happened to Duke when she hit the car? Glad her grandmother surrendered her license. Great scene with Kevin Pollack.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That whole scene with Duke made me cringe. I really thought it was going to turn out worse. Maybe it still will.

Loved Broderick's character.

11. dougotte

"I made a pong.":laugh:

Mister Charlie likes this.
  12. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

So... the deal with Sam and her husband hooking up. Was it just a weird fantasy thing where he watches her from afar with that particular pair of panties? Or did he chicken out and not join her?

This is a great season so far. It's honesty and realism are truly rare.

13. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

I think it started as a fantasy for her and then they hooked up but she couldn't go through with it. When the boots went in the trash that was it for her.

Her ex-husband in real life I believe was getting alimony from Pam for a while because she was working and earning a lot more than he was even though she has custody of her 3 girls.

14. dougotte

"I'm a fatty, fatty, patty, patty..."

15. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Last weeks show was a gas. Was that toilet for real? How was last nights episode? Will be watching tonight.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Excellent.

17. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

This week's episode was great. Only one more episode left in the season. I don't know if the show would work better if the episodes were longer. But 22 minutes usually isn't enough.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agree. Fantastic eoisode. Mayne thr most realistic of teenagers that I have ever seen on tv.

And yeah wish it was an hour show.

Im going to really miss it.

19. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

sberger likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

21. dougotte

That season finale was so beautiful and moving, possibly even better than last season's finale. Well done!

22. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Such a great season. I loved seeing Sam breaking down and accepting things - things she can't control (like her kids, insane movie sets) but also things she can't ignore (feelings for women).

I hope next season she's not afraid to be a little more selfish.

23. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

I liked season 1 but I found season 2 very uninteresting. I also hated the daughters: they are the most annoying children in the world, and the mother is overwhelmed by that and does not react.
    I watched only half of season 3 because I wasn't enjoying it and I realised that it's because I don't relate to anything that happens in the show.

24. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

New season starts March 5

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.