Better Things FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow...nobody commented yet on the season premier?? One of the finest shows on tv and nobody in the SHF forums watching. Ok then.

Well I thought the hour long/2 episode premier was GREAT!! This show is perfection. It never hits a wrong note. Sure the daughters can get on your nerves, but that's the point. My now 22 year old daughter, who I think is just about perfect, had moments that I can recognize in Sam's daughters. Which makes me enjoy this show all the more.

In any event, really enjoyable stuff, and am looking forward to the new season.

And thank god again for DVR's. Way too many commercials on FX.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Still getting over how cool it was for them to slip a tribute to Christine and The Queens' "Tilted" in there two seasons back. Unsung treasure...and I'm not even watching it, just my wife.

somnar likes this.
  4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I just watched the premiere (but not yet the second episode) last night, and I loved it. She started the season on a very strong note - brilliant writing, direction, and acting all around.

5. Scope J

Good to see Jess Barden & Lance Henriksen

6. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Best music direction on TV (though Better Call Saul is up there as well).

somnar likes this.
  7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I thought both episodes were really good. For the most part, I was a bit let down with last season. I felt the writers got in their own head and was trying to make Better Things into BETTER THINGS. I like that Frankie was more likeable in these two episodes.

8. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Last season was the first without Louis CK writing with Pam. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.
    Great to have the show back. I have to re-watch the first 2 episodes. Last weeks episode was great. Love the humor, watching Pam cook and the interactions with her family and friends. And that El Camino was beautiful. Read an interview with Pam and she said that all the artwork in the show is her's. I did notice that one of the prints was a Diane Arbus photo that had been painted over. Her real life mother is from Britain as well.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

So far, although after mom barged into her room it might get interesting.

kouzie likes this.
  10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

As I understand it, a lot of the show is based on around Pamela's real life. Nice article in L.A. Timesa couple of weeks ago about Pam and food and the show:
    Pamela Adlon can do it all

somnar likes this.
  11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Sidenotes:

Pamela Adlon has been cameoing on the current season of This Is Us, where she plays the therapist for one of the siblings.
    Also, Hannah Alligood (Frankie) plays the occasionally-seen daughter of one of the doctors on Chicago Med.

Scope J likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Last night's episode another winner! I only wish it was an hour.

somnar likes this.
  13. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Best show on TV

sberger likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's a good show. I admit I do miss the "Louis C.K.-ness" somewhat.

somnar likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I honestly cant tell the difference and I've warched the early seasons a couple times.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Better Call Saul right up there, of course. And really enjoying the Hulu series Devs. But yeah BT knocks it out of the park every week.

somnar likes this.
  17. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Watched the show last nite. It was a 30 minute show that FX interrupted five times for commercials. What a joke.

cleandan and Mister Charlie like this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Record and skip through commercials or watch on Hulu. No reason to ever watch a show with commercials unless you're into that kind of thing.

19. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I do those things as often as possible. I decided to try Better Things via the FX app on Apple TV (it's nice to keep track of things in one place, and Apple TV tracks things you recently watched in a row at the top). But, the ads cannot be skipped, so I went back to DVR.

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The ads are intolerable.

21. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

It's definitely different now. It's much more a show for women by women now. I really appreciate the last two seasons.

Lonson and sberger like this.
  22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well, not being a woman but having a wife and daughter(who reminds me in some ways of the middle daughter...luckily not as obnoxious) perhaps that's one of the reasons I like it so much. I do think there was a strong woman's influence running throughout the early seasons, but whatever. All I know is that I love this show.

bloodlemons likes this.
  23. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

What FX does is disrespectful. Not interested in a work-around. I'm out.

cleandan likes this.
  24. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Please send us all a link to your newsletter so we can catch up later.

I watch the show on Amazon with no commercials and it is pretty good.

25. Scope J

Good N'awlins episode!

somnar and sberger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.