Better Things FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Do you mean they were horrified because they knew she'd swim naked, and not because she had the vest? That makes sense. But what was the vest?

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I thought it was more just baring her clothes than the vest. I seem to remember it was a heart monitor vest like the LifeVest and while uncomfortable for her not anything oogie about it.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  3. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Anyone else thinking that this was the final episode of the series?
    It felt like closure for Sam on some levels.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It was billed as a "season finale" so I'm guessing there will be more. At least I hope so. Seems like this is the type of series where there's almost an endless amount of story lines that can be devised, especially in the creative manner in which she does it.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

My wife and I just finished watching season 4 on Hulu. This series is incredible, truly one of the medium’s finest. I’m so glad I happened to catch part if an interview Pamela Adlon did on the radio a few months back. It reminded me to check out Better Things, and it’s been a rewarding ride. I have three daughters myself (in an intact family), so not a parallel, but there’s plenty I could relate to as a parent.

Scope J and Chris from Chicago like this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Curious that the two best series on TV start with the same word.

8. Scope J

Returns 28 February!

9. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Final season. Great show.

10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Pamela did an episode of "Finding Your Roots" with Henry Louis Gates recently so it likes like they incorporated that into a story line.

I was born in '65 so I'm Gen X and not a boomer, she was born in '66 so she qualifies as Gen X as well.

kouzie likes this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I watched this show around the time Covid hit. Loved it. Looking forward to the next season. I felt like the last season could have been worked as a proper ending but I'll certainly take more.

bloodlemons likes this.
  12. Scope J

Bumped

13. dougotte

The season premiere was very good!

Scope J likes this.
  14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The first three episodes have been kinda meh to me. I have loved all the other seasons. It’s just not connecting now.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  15. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

The first 2 episodes were a little slow but episode 3 clicked. They're back - Duke has grown so much. Love the cameos like Danny Trejo. Who had the cameo in the 2nd episode? Marty Krofft? I want her El Camino when the show ends....

Mister Charlie and kouzie like this.
  16. David Egan

The way the girls are interacting is so funny and fascinating that I wish there was more of that than anything else. More surprises, laughs and heart than can be found anywhere else.

hophedd and sberger like this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wasn't that brilliant? I agree wish there were more scenes like that. It was such a realistic of siblings IMO.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

BTW Pamela Adlon is doing a final season podcast that airs each Tuesday to discuss the previous nights episode. She hosts it with a different member of the cast. Very entertaining.

Scope J likes this.
  19. dougotte

I agree, and was also thinking it's showing how they are growing into adults and are developing their own relationships with each other that are not dependent upon their Mom. It's a very natural progression in a family.

20. David Egan

Episode 4 has Duke growing up too fast and Max not there yet. Frankie has so much love for her mother that they don't know what to do with it and it comes out all wrong. Phil has a secret even bigger that Max, the sort of secret being held by someone who is giving / throwing away all their stuff.

21. Scope J

Danny only has three kids in real life

DementedAvenger likes this.
  22. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

My one lingering complaint about the show, like with many others, is that it (with wild lack of realism) shows the main character in a domestic setting most of the time, instead of the place where an adult will presumably be 40-60 hours a week to earn the money to buy that almost claustrophically comfortable suburban lifestyle. This season does seem to be addressing that, though (brother's stern advice to downgrade and simplify). Is Pam still out on the road a lot doing gigs?

I like how Adlon is representing the struggle older adults are having to suddenly understand the several classifications of gender that seem to have suddenly appeared, instead of the traditional two, and risk being punished for not grasping the concepts right away.

23. dougotte

I've always thought about her career while watching the show, and especially now when her brother confronted her about her finances. She does seem to spend most of her waking hours driving around (it's LA!) and visiting friends, or hanging out at home.

hophedd likes this.
  24. dougotte

I'm starting to think it was time for this show to end. It has run its course. There are still some wonderful moments this season, but a lot of it seems forced and awkwardly paced. Some of the humor falls flat, and some of the serious character scenes are overly long.

Joshua Tree, drgn95, hophedd and 2 others like this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

She probably feels the same way. Considering that she's the star, plus the director for every show, plus the main writer, and everything else, it's exhausting. Listening to her podcast it's become clear that this last season is a way to put a lot of actors that might be a little more obscure who she admires into the shows and give them some exposure. I also think that with the kids getting older it's become less cute and more dramatic, as happens in real life. I'm still really enjoying it, and highly recommend the podcasts following each week's new episodes. But I generally agree that it's probably the right decision to move on.

dougotte and kouzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.