Beware of the Poly lined paper inner sleeve....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mondayschild, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It's always a good idea to keep the original sleeves, it adds authenticity to the record.

TLMusic likes this.
  2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I own my records for myself, not for others.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  3. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Yeah.. I tend to agree. If a original sleeve has lyrics, or is in some way special I will keep it. Otherwise I usually toss them.
    (I pretty much am indifferent to affecting resale values of my Lps.. I buy them for me, not for future saleability.)

MKHopkins likes this.
  4. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest Thread Starter

Fair do's everone's different.
    Interesting points made though but I think I'm gonna stop buying poly lines sleeves and use plain paper
    ones from now on.
    Just purchased a second hand Keith Monks record cleaning machine so all vinly will now be cleaned and dried properly before
    storage....

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound warned back in the early 1990s I believe that he had a small fire in his house which destroyed one room and most of his record collection. The records mostly didn't burn, but all the ones with polylined sleeves got hot enough that the plastic melted into the vinyl surface, leaving enough residue that it destroyed the grooves.

On the other hand, I've seen paper sleeves leave tiny bits of paper shreds in the grooves... though that will clean out with a good wet vacuum cleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.