'Bewitched' Reboot from Kenya Barris set at ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wish I could like this post more than once. Right on!

Maggie likes this.
  2. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

It'll be alright, just ease into it
    [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault, Maggie and NaturalD like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Darren was an idiot. He makes the monetary/lifestyle score of the century, but chooses to keeping being abused by his boss. Stupid mortals. He didn't even have to sell his soul!

goodiesguy and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Have you read the synopsis? It’s not that much of a leap...

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Please no!!!

6. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Are you referring to this?

"In Bewitched, written by Barris and Taylor, Samantha, a hardworking black single mom who happens to be a witch, marries Darren, a white mortal who happens to be a bit of a slacker. They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America."

Yeah, you have made some pretty huge assumptions with "vilified". I hope you have never called anybody a "snowflake" because you seem like quite the fragile flower.

Maggie likes this.
  7. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Another difference is that the new Samantha comes into the marriage with a child (or more?), whereas the old Samantha was childless (as far as we mortals know). Would the child be a witch/warlock too? What if the kid doesn't like Darren (Darrin in the original). One wrong move and Darren's a toad!

"Now turn him back into a human this instant!"

"Aww mom..."

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Did anyone ever take a reading comprehension test here? I'm sorry, but that sentence is just troublesome. Waaaay back in the sixties, those of us raised by progressive parents (my parents were an interracial couple in 1955, so I think I'm slightly ahead of the curve here) were taught to be color-blind and not mention race on the assumption that all men are created equal (where have I heard that before?), not to mention pure politeness. That sentence is not what I consider inoffensive. It's begging to stir controversy based on race. I don't know where the idea came from that stirring up conflict and hatred on social media would make things better for anyone. We went through segregation and protest and violence, and decided that being color-blind and respectful to EVERYONE, in BOTH directions, was the solution. Today's "solution" is a throwback to the days before the whole thing was reasoned out. Social media and "moral outrage" (the base word being "rage") has hate groups marching in America again for godsake! This is progress?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    goodiesguy and Dudley Morris like this.
  9. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

LOL. Adorable.

To most people who have their eyes open in today's world, it's not a controversial thought that a white man will have more "power" in society than his black wife. It's a shame that any acknowledgment of that reality upsets you so much. But I get it: a lot of people are extremely sensitive these days and easily triggered.

Maggie likes this.
  10. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

[​IMG]

"Really, Derwood - you can't meant to tell me they actually pay you money to come up with ideas like that one?"

11. Otlset

But in this special case the black wife is a witch! She could secretly thwart and control any situation with Darren by casting spells couldn't she? Isn't that more power -- in this case?

12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

^^^ You might have to watch to show to see if that is sort of the point (though I won't be).

13. Otlset

"They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America...."

Samantha twitches nose: *tinkle tinkle tink*

"There. Now let him walk around with that attitude as a short bald black man for a while."

14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

:laugh:

NaturalD likes this.
  15. Setting aside that it's not 1962 anymore, I'd wager that this idea is more clever than anything that'll be done on the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.