Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

What do you think of these headphones?

I’m buying a pair of 32ohm’s tomorrow to replace my DT250’s. Hopefully they’ll be more exciting and will allow me to play brighter stuff easier without it hurting my ears.

2. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Over the last several years, I have bought probably 6 pairs of the 80 ohm version, and they are obviously my favorite headphones (mainly due to their ballsy bass). I use them all the time, but eventually the cords break (usually the reason to replace). I find the 80 ohm version the best compromise for everyday listening. I have a 250 ohm pair which I use with a headphone amp to check masters I do for Eric Records before shipping them out for production, but I find the 250 ohm version too crisp (or bright) for everyday, casual listening. My guess is the 32 ohm version would be too tame and lacking in high frequency reproduction.

3. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I enjoyed them quite a bit when I first got them. They're easier on the ears than most other closed backs in the price range. I ended up really preferring the Sennheiser HD380s though. I used them for recording purposes though, not for listening enjoyment. I found the Sennheiser easier to track vocals with, but definitely bright by comparison. If you like a warmer tone, I think you'll enjoy them.

4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

DT250 hurt your ears? See a Doctor. I have these and they are quite neutral and easy to drive.

5. They are great headphones! - until you hear what you're missing with some true high-end cans. Is ignorance bliss? Probably. I ended up giving my pair to my 15-year old son. When I went back to listen to them about a month ago, yeah, they were horrible.

Still, for a good 6 months they were awesome. I never regret the purchase. I don't think you will, either. Just stay away from the TOTL cans, and you'll be in bliss. :)

6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Great answer, thanks.
    Roughly how often do the cords break? And so the 80ohms are less bright than then 250ohms. Apparently according to a reviewer the 32ohms surprisingly sound more like the 250ohms, so I’ll have to see if I can get the 80ohms.

I mostly listen to older music. At any decent volume, Queen is almost impossible to listen to because it’s so bright. Put on Queen’s ‘Killer Queen’, when they sing Queen it is painful. Lots of moments of this throughout their albums. The album from my profile picture throughout is far, far worse. There are so many sounds in it that are painful that it becomes auditory torture, even at a medium volume. Funkadelic’s debut has some issues throughout but it’s the track I’ll Bet You that just kills as there’s a sharp sound that comes in and out that feels like someone sticking a pin in your ears. A lot of Sgt. Pepper’s 2017 remix is uncomfortably bright, as is Back In the U.S.S.R.’s 2009 and 2018 mix (although both are barely even bad, although the plane sounds on the 2009 absolutely are). I love these headphones and I’d recommend them to anyone, but for me, they’re painful sometimes.

Haha, yeah, it’ll be a long while before I can afford headphones that good!

7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I got the 770’s, and I much prefer them! Can crank much louder without issues and the soundstasge is vastly superior.

8. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

Yes - I use the 770/80ohms for working on my audio processing projects. Even though they sound 'good', in fact 'very good' -- I need accuracy and a complete aural picture of the audio. I find that the DT770s to be pretty good -- if there is a problem with the audio when using the 770, then there is a problem with the audio. This is exactly what I want.

Too many headphones have a boomy bass rather than a deep bass like the 770. Boomy bass or overly bright high-end gets junked by me right away -- for casual listening, one might want a kind of emphasis or another. Maybe someone might want to tame the high end (very often, on material from the late 60s to the early 90s will be DolbyA encoding), but I don't want overly tame either...

The 770s are damned good for my purposes.

John

9. Twodawgzz

In bed at night I usually sleep with the headphones on connected to an iPod on shuffle play (EQ set to Hip Hop for my bass preference). After several months the pressure on the 3/4" plastic piece through which the cord passes where it exits the headphone unit breaks, which eventually leads to one or more of the wires themselves breaking. Resoldering has not worked. If you don't put pressure on the cord like I do, the headphones should last indefinitely.

Btw, my last iPod Classic finally stopped working properly this week when the headphone jack cut out on one of the channels. I moved it to my car where the connection is on the bottom of the iPod rather that through the headphone jack. I ordered a Fiio X5 3rd generation and a 256gb Sandisk micro sd card as a replacement and am currently awaiting receipt.

10. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The 770s
    Wel I don't know about the 32 ohms but the 770s 250 ohm are brighter than the DT250s. If you want even more neutral than the 250s try the 150s with the DT100 velour pads.

11. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Not my cup of tea. Tried 250Ohm version, 32 non-limited and owned Custom Studio. They're pretty popular and have their fanbase but for me they have to much V-shape sound and less midrange I want to hear. I guess way "sterile" sounding to what I want. On the build quality department though I have no complains. But I heard sometimes one of the drivers inside may die and they're sensitive to hair that may get inside.

12. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Why buy a new can everytime? The Beyers are modular in the sense that you can just change cables if they break.

Very nice headphones, I've had my 80ohm pair for 7 years so far and not a single issue. I use them at work all the time, so closed back is a positive here. I'll probably buy the Sennheiser HD600 for a taste of open-back headphones in the near future, but my Beyers are not going anywhere!! :)

13. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I abused the hell out of mine and they're now over ten years old. Besides desperately needing new ear cups, they're no worse for wear.
    Totally agree. I think this is why I disliked them for tracking vocals. It felt like there was a dip right in my vocal range.

14. Twodawgzz

My take on the Fiio X5 3rd Generation:

Overall, I'm very happy with the Fiio X5III. It is solidly built with reasonable programming flexibility. The battery does run down much faster than my former music players, the iPod Classic, but 10 hours has been enough time between charges for my needs.

The one big problem I have encountered is that I noticed on many tracks I hear continuous clicking noises. Listening on shuffle play, I have been fast forwarding to the next track when I encounter one that clicks. After a month of listening that way it dawned on me – the tracks that click are all mono. And the files are 1-track mono. So I converted some to 2-track mono, and voila - the clicks disappeared. So this is one flaw with the X5III, and I have many many more files to convert, which is a pita, but hey, at least I found the solution.

Also, the X5III has way less options when it comes to EQ settings compared to the iPod. There is a user defined EQ setting, but it doesn't produce as much bass as some of the iPod EQs, even with the bass cranked all the way up.

Storage (capacity) is amazing. I added one SanDisk Extreme 256 GB A2 microSDHC, and there is a slot for another if I need it.

15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I've had a pair since 2005. Actually my friend has them now and they are still great. I hadn't used them since I got HD600 and a decent amp. The DT770 pro 80 ohm is good at around $125 max. They don't do anything very wrong but I don't feel they do anything really good either. Scooped EQ and too much bass, little articulation in the highs. Good gateway cans but can't hold a candle to HD58x or HD600 series.

16. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I recently got my first pair (80 Ohm) and liked the sound of them but the drivers popped when turned up. I thought it was my headphone amp but I tried them with my phone and two different receivers and they still popped. Maybe they were defective, but I ended up returning them. Good sound but I thought the mids were a little too recessed.

17. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I upgraded to in-ears. Fiio FH5. I can't tell if they're really better, but vocals are clearer and things don't get nearly as muddy. It's made me notice how recessed the vocals are and how bright it is. It's a surprise how not warm they are, they're almost tinny. Good thing about them though is you can wear them for hours and not feel burnt out. Fantastic for that.

Soundslave likes this.
  18. Soundslave

My friend is waiting for them to arrive. He already had F9 pro (which I tried as well) and they were very bright. He switched for FH1 which were much more satisfiying and now, after he compared FH1 to FH5 he made a decision for FH5 because of the better sound and resolution.

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I’m referring to the DT770’s when I mentioned how recessed vocals are, bright, ‘almost tinny’, and how easy they are to wear for ages, just to clarify.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Nice! I really love them. Bit too much sibilance, though, and some of the ear buds are impossible to get on. I spent a literal hour trying to get a single pair of vocal buds on and just couldn’t. Really frustrating. The bass and airfoam ones are easy to get on though. I find them to be a much more engaging phone than the DT770’s.

Soundslave likes this.
  21. Soundslave

You know, my problem with DTs is that indeed they're not that engaging I would like them to, haha) That's why for now I've settled on Fostex T50RP mk2 mod by a Russian fellow snorry, who completely redesigned headphones leaving only the magnets from original and more to that he still manually corrected them (magnetic system I mean) to his specifications and vision.

22. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday and so far I've the loving them. Hope to report later after more listening hours have accrued.

MungoMusic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.