Beyonce announces new album "Renaissance" (out July 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jonathan Halen, Jun 16, 2022.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

2. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

To me it is more back to 1993 euro dance rather than 1978 disco. Like something you would find on a CD single with 5 mixes of the same song: Snap, 2 Unlimited, Culture Beat etc..

PH416156 likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

As was I. Made me want to put on Jessie Ware or Robyn.

Ristifer and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s a fine song. I’m waiting to hear it in the context of the record to see if that changes my opinion. Not bad at all but nothing to really get excited for at the moment

5. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Wow you read my mind...that's exactly what I thought too. Very early-mid 90s sound with the rap bits etc.

6. PoetDan53

PoetDan53 Forum Resident

Is she saying to quit your job?

7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I literally read this as Renaissance - Beyonce Teases

Oh my, I'm an idiot

8. pghmusiclover

Exactly -- they both made dance music fresh (as did Dua and even Kylie), while Beyonce surprisingly sounds like a retread... not a promising introduction, if you ask me...

ralphb likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

10. So you posted this over two weeks ago, and not one person has bothered to comment? Beyoncé is so ahead of her time. I've heard both of the new songs, and I like them quite a lot. I've never seen her in concert, and I hope to go next year when it's expected that she may likely launch a massive tour following a string of "pop-up events" and select performances in the U.K. If she wants to swallow my phone in a sock as part of larger efforts to prevent rule breakers and other nefarious scofflaws from videoing her concert and distracting other spectators, I won't complain. If poor old great grandma has fallen and can't get up, and I can't be reached, that's just too bad. I have my self-centered boogie priorities firmly in place. Seriously, who would want to watch or listen to audio/video recorded on a phone anyway? Everything about her presentation is maximalist. Ain't nothin' but a party ya'll..Let's get it on!

11. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Sad isn't it? I'm guessing most people around here don't care for Beyoncé.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  12. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I just preordered the limited edition vinyl version. Can't wait for it to come.

13. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I am guessing the lack of response about the new album is that the thread got quickly bumped-I know I did not see it two weeks ago.

For me, I believe Beyoncé has a spectacular voice, but I view her as a calculating entertainer, not necessarily an artist who is trying to make music for the joy of making it and expressing herself. When I saw the cover art for this thing, I was turned off. I am just not moved to check her stuff out. I like some of the singles I have heard over the years-in fact, my partner is in the middle of making diner and has a Spotify thing on and Halo was played. Catchy and I like her voice. I would love to get a greatest hits of her's that is comprehensive, but I don't think I would contemplate one of her studio albums.

14. Beyoncé is fearless and knows how to push people's buttons. I find some of her music courageous.

15. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i went through most of her discography a few months ago to see if i needed to pick something up. i like a few moments here and there and a song here and there but nothing compelled me to pull the trigger on any album.

I came close to buying lemonade and her selftitiled from 2014...but eventually didnt.

Maybe this next album is the one that does it for me?

16. I have a feeling that it's the live experience that is so special. I watched one her live shows on netflix a year or two ago.

pinkrudy likes this.
  17. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

No, lol not remotely. She appeals to a completely different crowd.

18. That's weird. I like mostly music from the 1930s-1980s, but I admire great music when I hear it no matter from what point in time it originates. I hear you however, and it's clear that you're right on this one.

19. pghmusiclover

I'm definitely looking forward to this new album -- even if I find the single a bit "meh" and that album cover is beyond tacky!

I find it hard to believe that there won't be vinyl available at retail -- especially for someone like Beyonce (and her team) who care about first week chart placings... I guess most of her fervent fans don't care about physical product, or are mostly into CDs?

20. pghmusiclover

21. pghmusiclover

You can see more pics of the vinyl on Discogs:

Beyoncé - Renaissance

According to Billboard the vinyl is set to ship on Friday (07/29). It's still odd that it's not available at Amazon, etc.

22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think they’ve only just announced the tracklist!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  23. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I saw Renaissance and got excited. Quickly followed by disappointment.

24. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Wonder how the song that lists Donna Summer on it is gonna sound?

25. pghmusiclover

I was pretty excited to see Grace Jones on there -- that's most unusual as Grace doesn't appear for just anyone! Maybe that came about from Nile since I read he appears on this as well...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022