Beyonce announces new album "Renaissance" (out July 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jonathan Halen, Jun 16, 2022.

1. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

HD Tracks Flac Download

Beyoncé/RENAISSANCE

DR (PMF) | File Name | Max. TPL |

6 | 01 I'M THAT GIRL | +0.67 |
    6 | 02 COZY | +0.81 |
    5 | 03 ALIEN SUPERSTAR | +1.03 |
    6 | 04 CUFF IT | +1.22 |
    4 | 05 ENERGY | +0.20 |
    5 | 06 BREAK MY SOUL | +1.22 |
    5 | 07 CHURCH GIRL | +1.01 |
    6 | 08 PLASTIC OFF THE SOFA | +0.95 |
    6 | 09 VIRGO'S GROOVE | +1.21 |
    6 | 10 MOVE | +0.93 |
    5 | 11 HEATED | +0.68 |
    5 | 12 THIQUE | +0.79 |
    4 | 13 ALL UP IN YOUR MIND | +0.42 |
    5 | 14 AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM | +0.55 |
    6 | 15 PURE_HONEY | +2.73 |
    6 | 16 SUMMER RENAISSANCE | +1.11 |

2. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

just got a shipping confirmation with tracking for a cd box.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  3. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

domesticmachine likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Just gave this a listen on Spotify. Not for me. It actually gave me a headache! It seems like she threw everything into this apart from some actual good songs. In fact, to call these concoctions songs is a real stretch. Now I know why they led with the (pretty mediocre) Break My Soul... It’s the best track by far!

Hope everyone likes it and enjoys rap, because there’s plenty of it here! I will not be here for ‘acts’ 2 and 3.:D

willy and ARod like this.
  5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

What a fun album and I'm no huge fan...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    whisper3978 likes this.
  6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Some good tracks (Cozy, Cuff It, Plastic Off The Sofa) but again too long and samey. That first track is really annoying, sounds like a broken CD and many songs sounds like demos. The Feel Love sample in Summer Renaissance is fun and one of the better tunes over all.

I'm far from a prude, but does she have to be 95% naked on the cover, I really think it cheapens the whole thing. Maybe I'm thinking too much.

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That stinks! I’d prefer that to the original one I ordered… just wrote them to ask if I can cancel that… really that is some serious BS…

I liked it on first listen, even if there wasn’t much variety… sadly the Grace Jones feature is much ado about nothing…

I guess “act 2” will include the country flavored tunes? There’s nothing here remotely like that LOL

8. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

No, it's definitely three albums.

9. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Ugh...I'm a sucker,I just ordered this one too

pghmusiclover likes this.
  10. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Yeah, for a second there I thought I'd read "Renaissance announces new album Beyonce".

DME1061 likes this.
  11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Just listened to the album. Really enjoyed it. It feels like one of those albums that will reveal itself over time. Bring on Act 2.....

Br3tto likes this.
  12. pghmusiclover

If it’s still available next Friday (payday), I will order it too lol

paulewalnutz likes this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The first listen didn't impress me all that much. I missed the ecstatic highs the best disco/house reaches at its best, it's kind of a laid back album despite all the boom and bounce and guest stars (who knew Green Velvet/Cajmere was involved?). But another listen is revealing more and the complexity of it all does impress. It still feels a wee bit academic, not sweaty enough for this kind of thing. Good album for second half of summer listening.

Bink and pghmusiclover like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd be more likely to buy that.

15. pghmusiclover

I will give it another listen over the weekend while doing chores!! I am determined to hear the Teena Marie and damned Kelis samples!!!

I definitely think 16 tracks is waaay too many!

ralphb likes this.
  16. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Glad to have a chance to get this LP this time around. Missed the first one. Not sure what the difference is but I’ll take it. Curious - what was the cost of the limited before it sold out?

it’s up for presale on Amazon in the US too. I guess that signals it may be more widely available. Supposedly shipping in September.

I picked up the CD and got through the first 5 songs. Love the energy so far. Was a no brainer to grab the LP based on what I heard.

There is a lot of the eff word so do beware if you put it on with your kids like I did :angel::angel::angel:

17. pghmusiclover

I just saw the deluxe vinyl on Music Direct as well, so at least that one will be available outside of her store. Her store says it will ship "by October 2022", while MD has the release date listed as September 16, 2022.

Incidentally, the first version I ordered from her store was $32.98 (plus tax and shipping, of course).

18. pghmusiclover

I listened to the album again this morning while doing chores and I liked it much better -- I guess maybe there is just A LOT to absorb!

I guess Beyonce will be nominated for another Album of the Year Grammy, but I find it hard to believe that an album that opens using a "MF" chant and liberally sprinkles it throughout will win -- I'm sure most of the voting committee will need smelling salts :D

19. pghmusiclover

I just received notice my vinyl shipped!

20. pghmusiclover

I really don’t hear the Kelis or Teena Marie “interpolations” or “samples” or whatever… maybe they just aren’t as distinctive as the Robin S tune!

21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Very interesting take on the album in today's NY Times, discussing how house music and queer culture are touchstones for the music and lyrics.
    America Has a Problem and Beyoncé Ain’t It

pghmusiclover likes this.
  22. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

I hesitated posting my extended thoughts on this album, but since she will get extra stars in reviews just for being Beyoncé (most of the reviewers still struggle to single out a real good tune and most of them reads like long lists of ingredients and intentions, rather than anything else.), I decided to go ahead anyway.

As soon as she and her team started to talk about imperfection, trying to spin it to their advantage, you kind of figured they were sitting on a real dud.

(that she and her team tried to copy another big artists style during the roll out, is another topic)

I have no problem with explicit lyrics, but in this particular case it just sounds immature and desperate. It feels like she tried to take on Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion plus Dua Lipa at the same time.

While Lemonade at least pointed towards some artistic maturity (which is not the same as becoming boring), this is ten steps back in my book.

The album is like that DJ before the main act that everyone just wish would go away before the real DJ enters.

willy likes this.
  23. Br3tto

Br3tto Forum Resident

I love it!
    It’s not an easy listen in that it’s very industrial and disjointed but after a few listens it starts to settle.
    I find it very reminiscent of BEYONCÉ album which I personally rate as her crowning achievement (so far).
    I’m intrigued and looking forward to act ii and iii.

24. pghmusiclover

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

A couple of controversies have arisen re this album that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread yet:

Kelis has made it clear that she is not happy that her song Milkshake was sampled on this album without her permission or being contacted. This appears to be an ongoing issue that she has with Pharell Williams who she said screwed her out of any royalties for the song.

There is another controversy re the use of a word that many consider to be derogatory towards disabled people:
    Beyoncé is criticised for using an offensive lyric on her Renaissance album