Beyonce announces new album "Renaissance" (out July 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jonathan Halen, Jun 16, 2022.

1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'm not ready to say this is my all-time favorite Beyoncé record, BUT I haven't enjoyed a record of hers like this since ST in 2013.

ALIEN SUPERSTAR, SUMMER RENAISSANCE & PLASTIC OFF THE SOFA are my three favorites.

I'm looking forward to the visuals.

domesticmachine likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Kelis can complain all she wants, but honestly I really don't hear her song sampled/interpolated in Beyonce's track. Furthermore, for those that DO hear it, Beyonce did her due diligence in crediting the Neptunes on the track -- Kelis was NOT credited as a writer of the original track so she gets no credit here. She has complaints with Pharrell and Hugo about her contracts -- but that is not Beyonce's battle to fight...

And I'd say my favorites are the single, the opening track, plus "Plastic Off The Sofa", "Virgo's Groove", "Thique" and of course "Summer Renaissance"!

ralphb, SITKOL'76 and Bink like this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

4. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

She's doing the absolute most and the only reason she's name dropping Beyoncé is because she knows it'll get her the most attention. Her bitterness is showing but I know she just lost her husband so it might be part of her grieving process, I don't know.

And yeah, ENERGY is one of my least favorite songs on the album. I do love the transition to BREAK MY SOUL though, gave me a new appreciation for the track.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yeah I kind of have a 'publish and be damned' attitude to this sort of thing.

It does once again demonstrate the benefits of physical product. I bought Michael Jackson's History on the day of release so I have the original version of They Don't Care About Us, I have the cd of Lady Gaga's Artpop which means I have the duet with R Kelly that was removed when he was accused etc and I bought this album on cd so I know that I have the album as originally intended!

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Are they going to repress the Michael album too?

Bink likes this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Would probably need to be a 10 inch vinyl after removing the 3 offending songs!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I noticed after that decision Amazon put the price of the CD up.:D

Bink likes this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yeah I’m not wild about ENERGY either except for the way it leads to BREAK MY SOUL — and agreed it gave me a whole new appreciation for that single!!

12. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Bink likes this.
  13. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

14. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Now the milkshake sample is being removed from ENERGY

So grab CD copies while you can. Already been replaced on TIDAL and more streaming to come.

I assume the upcoming VINYL editions will be “edited” also lol if so I will be passing on the vinyl.

Crazy to think original release version is already going to be a collector edition

15. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

confirming my "some old guy" status - the controversy over "spaz" confuses me, genuinely, when the FIRST song, starts, at 00:01, with the following:

Please, mother****ers ain't stop—, please, mother****ers
    Please, mother—, please, mother—, please, mother****ers
    Please-please, mother—, please, mother—, please, mother—, please, mother—
    Please, mother****ers, please, mother—, please, mother—
    Plеase-please, mothеr****ers ain't stoppin' me
    Please, mother****ers ain't stoppin' me

We now live in a world where the allegation of having sex with someone's mom, is passed over, while historically silly term is worthy of outrage and censoring?
    But if we're in agreement that "spaz" has some damaging connotation, how'd we get to the same idea MOTHER****ER is just a word? :confused:

16. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

I don't think the MFer community feels belittled by the word...

17. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

I feel pretty safe in saying the number of fights over being called "MF'r" is greater than "spaz" by a factor of infinity.

Paul R likes this.
  18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Tough week of media

Beyonce Bust? "Renaissance" Anything But as Sales Predicted Down 60% from 2016's "Lemonade"

The bigger news is Beyonce has not turned the lemons from “Renaissance” into Lemonade. That was the title of her last album, in 2016, and it sold 650,000 in its debut week. “Renaissance” is not going to come near that number. Hitsdailydouble.com has predicted today between 275K and 315K copies. The number will fall on the low side. It’s about a 60% decline in sales.

19. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Now with the controversy people will snatch up the remaining physical copies which will in turn boost first week sales.

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I just listened to Black Sabbath's Am I Going Insane? As a person who is legally disabled for mental illness I demand that all copies of Sabotage be recalled and further sales banned. I also find "Crazy" by Patsie Cline offensive. Willie Nelson owes me an apology.

21. Anaan Ng

Anaan Ng Interested Party

It might actually qualify as one of the fighting words from Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

22. Anaan Ng

Does anything really need to be said about the removal of "spaz" now from the language? The fashion mags are praising its "extirpation." No kidding, huh? Just one less way to express one's self with a relatively benign word, all things considered.

23. Anaan Ng

I just checked. Amazon isn't releasing it until Sept. 16th. They probably already knew some of this was coming. Unless the records are already pressed, that is. Then you've probably got a scramble for the first edition.

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Meanwhile all kinds of outrageous misinformation (aka total lies) flooding people and causing harm and division, but a song lyric... that we can shame into changing? Oooookay. By the way, don't watch live Beatles performances in the '60s, John Lennon will likely offend with one of his acting routines.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I forget which amendment it is that grants the freedom to not be offended, possibly I was cutting class that day.