Bifrost Dac

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tiger Rag, Aug 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Could anybody help me with my situation.
    I'm currently listening to my cds with my oppo 203 connected up to my roksan blak amp.
    Would i benefit in using a bifrost dac, not the bifrost 2 multibit, i cannot afford that at this present time.
    There is a bifrost gen 5 dac for auction on ebay, didn't know if i should start bidding.
    Would this dac be better than the one in my oppo, and is it a smooth and warm sounding dac like the bifrost 2.
    Cheers everyone

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB is a very good DAC, I owned one and now have a Bifrost 2 (not the newly updated release) Is it the TMR listing you’re referring to?

The big difference between this Bifrost and newer generations of this model is the Unison USB connection, which will offer superior sound from a computer connected via USB. However, with your Oppo you would be using the coaxial connection so the quality of the USB isn’t as important (but Gen 5 is still quite good).

3. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I have both the Bifrost 2 and an Oppo 203. Sending the coaxial signal from the Oppo to the Bifrost sounds better than the analog outs of the Oppo. Just more of everything and cleaner sound.

But a PC USB output into the Unison USB sounds the best.

4. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Be careful, there are several versions of the original Bifrost. Some use Delta/Sigma based DAC's, while I believe there was only 1 version that used Schiit's Multibit DAC, and proprietary Filter. While the earlier D/S DAC's could be upgraded to Multibit, that option is no longer available for the original Bifrost DAC. The Multibit is a very good sounding DAC, and is the version to buy. Make sure to check pictures of the back panel, to ensure it has the Multibit sticker. About the only way to visually check which version is which.

Good luck.

rodentdog likes this.
  5. Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys every one.
    Just checked the pictures on ebay and there is a bifrost multibit sticker on the back of the unit.
    Any preference as to output, coax or optical

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This is confusing. If the sticker just says Bifrost 2, w/serial #, does that confirm it's Multibit and has the Unison USB?

7. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

The Bifrost 2 was strictly a Multibit DAC. No other versions. Plus, it was new enough in design, it also included Unison USB. :goodie:

That being said, there is a brand new, just released Bifrost 2/64 DAC design, which replaces the Bifrost 2. It has upgraded DAC and DSP chips. New firmware too. You can order the complete DAC from Schiit, or you can do a self install upgrade of a new 2/64 DAC card, into a previously purchased Bifrost 2. Update the firmware, and you're done. The new firmware works with older Bifrost 2's as well. Free to download and try for yourself.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    rodentdog and George Blair like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.