Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There'll be a memorial to Davy Jones in Beavertown, PA on June 28th. I'll be one of the guests and Davy Jones' daughters will be in attendance. Among the bands performing will be the Blue Meanies, the Characters, the Monkeephiles and Chris Pick. Activities begin at 9am. More details on the events Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1481041462107443/?ref=22

JonnyKidd, joy stinson and Scope J like this.
  3. Markarrow

Markarrow Forum Resident

This post involves adaptations of The Monkees for comic books.

While researching an article on the comic artist Jim Aparo I came across a site called The Jim Aparo Fan Club.

(For those who don't follow comics, Aparo was a great artist who had a long run on Batman in the seventies and eighties. He did the the original comic where Bane breaks Batman's back which was featured as a plot line in the last Batman film. He also drew the story that killed the second Robin.)

What I didn't know is that the publishing house Charlton briefly had the Monkee's comic book license before Raybert moved it over to Dell.

Here is a brief summation of what is going on:

"After only three 2-page stories in their pop music magazine Teen Tunes, Charlton apparently lost the license for official Monkees comics to Dell, who were about to begin a short run of four-color Monkees comic books with art by, I believe, Jose Delbo. Charlton saved the best for last, though, as Jim Aparo was teamed with Steve Skeates, writer, to produce this mini-masterpiece. In Skeates' only job as Monkees scripter, he challenged himself to use as many titles of Monkees songs in the script as he could fit. How many can you spot?"

Here is the link to the full story. There is also a two page Monkees story that I had never seen before. It doesn't mean that it may not be common knowledge among the intelligentsia, it only means that I haven't seen it before! And it is fun!.

http://jimaparofanclub.blogspot.com/search/label/Monkees.

I thank the site for it's thoroughness and killer content.
    [​IMG]

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Had a dream where someone gave
    me a Nez hat , was dissapointed that
    it was missing the tassle , turns out
    it was just inside out

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I can see why they lost the license... Yikes.

izgoblin and Markarrow like this.
  6. Markarrow

Markarrow Forum Resident

Aparo was a gifted artist. His version of Batman was graceful, athletic and set the stage for Frank Miller to create The Dark Knight Returns. But that said, I don't think that he did the Monkees service. Granted this work drawn was 1967 and very early in his career (and he was working for almost nothing, Charlton was notorious for low pay), but still, he didn't capture too much of the spirit of the Monkees in his work.

Now, his work on Batman ten years later, a completely different story...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member

Just to let you know I am working on a project that would see Mickys MGM singles released on one vinyl and cd album. Is taking a long time but fingers crossed, things are slowly moving in the right direction.

Also, I have managed to secure a copy if the 1972 Dolenz stoner movie 'Keep Off My Grass'. I'm planning a screening in the UK and a limited edition DVD. I'm desperately looking for material that could be used on the DVD as bonus material. If anyone has any audio/video or publicity material connected with this film then please do get in touch.

Many thanks

Iain

8. 905

905 Senior Member

Welcome and thank you for your work.

9. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Is the Monkees collection market starting another downswing after the crazy events of the last few years? I'm finding copies of Colgems Present and Changes on ebay and discogs for less than $20 - not so odd for Present but an original VG/VG+ Changes for $15 or so? Crazy! Even the '80s Rhino seems to be commanding more than an original.

It seems the only original titles consistently holding their value are original copies of Head and the "Oh My My" picture sleeve.

Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me? Mind you, I'm not complaining...

10. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

It's funny you should say that. I bought a sealed original promo copy of "Changes" at a record show two years ago for $20! I have never seen "Changes" that much and for a sealed so cheap I couldn't resist. Maybe the market is softening for these items?

11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Rhino or Colgems/RCA?Rhino copies of Changes abound,many sealed.RCA or Colgems,not so much.

Here's a sealed Rhino copy for 99 cents.There are more for under $20.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MONKEES...9355260?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2a406a9cfc

12. New episode of the Zilch! Podcast--the first episode commentary (Royal Flush) and an interview with Al Bigley, among other goodies.

Website
    Facebook
    Subscribe on iTunes

Mechanical Man and JDistheone like this.
  13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Usagi75, JDistheone and Galley like this.
  14. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Since Davy died and Michael has started touring again the amount of stuff (worldwide) appearing on ebay has gone up from 10K items to 14K+, just an insane amount to choose from. Definitely a buyers market. I've found some great deals, but selling has been tough.

joy stinson and JuanTCB like this.
  15. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

If its Colgems, then that's a fantastic buy. Sealed promo copies were going for $100 + on ebay a few years back. Many sellers, at the shows I've been to, still have no idea the Monkees are popular and either won't bring them to the shows or price them on the cheap. I've got sealed copies of all the Rhino reissues (I really like the yellow hype sticker on the front), they can be had for $10 or so...

joy stinson, BeatleStair and BenB5150 like this.
  16. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Yes, it's a Colgems original promo copy sealed. I was surprised to see it so cheap so I had to buy it. Never seen a sealed copy anywhere else ... well, since 1970!

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Wonder if the deluxe edition of "The Monkees" is still going to be released? Its been pretty quiet on the Monkees front.

19. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

very quiet... I'd still love to have it, but if Present was the end of the line, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Rhino and the way they have presented The Monkees' catalogue.

905 and D-rock like this.
  20. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

We are still 3 months away from November, which is when this release is supposed to happen. I assume all systems are still go. I am enjoying all the talks about other artists that have new releases. I assume when an official announcement is made then this Monkees thread will heat up, as usual.:wave:

D-rock likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

905 and D-rock like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Speaking of "Easy On You" and Micky Dolenz... there are a couple fan-produced projects in the works ...

monkeebootlegs.com
    2 hours ago
    A quick update on the two Dolenz projects I am working on...

Keep Off My Grass - this is moving on apace. Busy discussing the ins and outs with Mr Albert J Saltzer, the producer, and his team. While this is going on, I am currently in the process of sending the DVD to a talented film maker and restorer in the hope he can work some magic on it. Fingers crossed.

The final product will be a DVD, hopefully with a few extras on there. Ideally an interview with Dolenz from 1972, a recent interview, possibly a short film charting how this film came to be discovered and restored...and that's it so far unless anybody out there has ANYTHING that could be used. Do email me if you can help.

You will have the option of buying just the DVD or the DVD and a repro copy of the movie one sheet poster. Possibly signed by Micky...this will be VERY rare and limited in number.

I have now got permission to hold a screening in London.

I am not doing this to make profit. I want to break even. Any profits will go to Mr. Saltzer. If I CAN make any money from it I will put that towards travelling to the states for a screening in NY and possibly LA.

This is all being done BY ME! I am a dad of 2 with a full time job working for the BBC in the UK. So it will take some time, especially when it gets to actually sending out the DVD's (I can imagine my bedroom floor covered with envelopes - unless of course anyone wants to help) I am hoping to get this done and available by Christmas...but do keep in mind I am a one man band right now!

The second project is the Dolenz MGM singles release. I now have the thumbs up from Universal to release the 10 songs Micky released for MGM, including the 2 Starship songs. This will just be the songs Micky RELEASED. I have not been able to source any unreleased stuff...yet...

Also, the master tapes are long since gone so they will come from the best audio that is available. Scott Erickson has spent a lot of time and energy sourcing the best quality versions of these out there and doing some wonderful work in cleaning them up. They will sound as good as they possibly can given what we have.

We have rights to release a vinyl LP and a digital download. Just waiting for the paperwork to see if we have CD rights.

This package is hopefully going to be f****** beautiful. We really want this to be something special There will at least be some detailed and new liner notes, ideally though we'd like to include a booklet. It all comes down to budget. Again, I'm not in this for money. I want to break even and I am investing a significant amount of my own money to make this happen. A bit of a gamble...but if it goes well this could be the first of a series of releases.

I am confident this will be better than some of the other Monkee reissues that are out there.

If anyone can help or has any thoughts or suggestions, good or bad, then please do leave your comments here or email [email protected]

Also, I need to start getting word out about this. I'd appreciate it if you can get this to as many Monkee related FB sites out there and any there relevant bodies who may be interested.

I am dead excited!

Iain Lee

https://www.facebook.com/Monkeebootlegs

23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Very cool to see you go through all of this effort, Iain. Perhaps if everything is successful, you'll get us a DVD of The Night of the Strangler?

Hey, I can dream.

Iceman08 and D-rock like this.
  24. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member

Night Of The Strangler shouldn't be a problem as it is out there. The whole movie is on my YouTube Channel.

Is Michelle66 here? I'd love to have a chat re the Dolenz album but I can't seem to DM you. My email is [email protected]

25. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident