Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Thanks for sharing so many pieces from your collection—lots of stuff I've never seen!

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  2. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

Bit rude that Set List classify 'I'm a Believer' as a Neil Diamond cover...

PhoffiFozz and Hep Alien like this.
  3. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Thanks. I was hoping people would be interested. I think I said over in the Rate The Songs thread that in the last couple of years I've lost a couple of very close family members and it began to dawn on me that I may not be around forever. (Though I'm still hopeful.) With teaching teens for pretty much my whole career somehow you don't really notice the years going by, even though the mirror tells a different story...

Anyway, after all this time I began to think would happen to all my "stuff" if I just "popped my clogs". I suspect that the answer may involve a waste-skip so I started to go through file boxes of cuttings; I'd been planning to do it for years. When I was teaching (chemistry), my storeroom was immaculately laid out. Everything in place, from aluminium to zinc. Sadly, this does not apply to my cuttings / magazines / photos etc and the Monkees are mixed in with Manchester City, Neil, Young, Jethro Tull, Hammer Films, Scientific American and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Which is a roundabout way of explaining why I'm posting them a little randomly. Thanks again.

Here's one I think I missed when we covered The Prison. It was in Street Life which was a fine but short-lived UK attempt at a Rolling Stone type fortnightly paper...

[​IMG]

4. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That cover is pretty cool. If you get around to making a larger image of that, please post!

DaveJ likes this.
  6. You're very welcome. I'm always interested in Monkees-related stuff, particularly since I wasn't alive for their original run, and was just a boy of about 10 during their '80s comeback, and then was too busy with classic rock and grunge in my high school and college years ... so a lot of Monkees stuff went by without me noticing, and I feel like I missed out on a lot. Particularly since I became reacquainted (and better acquainted) with the Monkees just in the last couple of years. It's really nice to see the old articles, memorabilia, etc., and fill in my knowledge gaps with the help of people who witnessed this stuff.

RobRoyF, spsimmons and DaveJ like this.
  7. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

How's this? Part of my lack of organisation means my scanner is not in action atm but this photo looks ok.

[​IMG]

Iceman08, cuddlytoy, RobRoyF and 5 others like this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Iceman08, 905, factory44 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

This last one is worth hearing through because he talks (lots of) details about how he and Kevin Gray are working on the new 2LP edition of the Monkees first album, uncovered tapes, matching speed and tonality with the original, etc... and then really interesting details about his research process for the new book, which was heavily influenced by thousands of court records and statements that were part of the Don Kirshner case- revealing more about the band members and projects.

Iceman08, RobRoyF, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

13. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Also, maybe a hint from Mr. Sandoval of things to come beyond his revised, limited edition book. Although reluctant to sign off on it, he clearly made an allusion that suggests following up the success of this year's Runout Groove release with More of The Monkees.

Or something.

I say, if they continue down the lp road and I can't have a proper Super Deluxe PAC&J, then for that one I want a 4 lp release of that one, with a stereo and mono copy of each lp cut from analog master tapes, three sides of outtakes, vault tracks, original single and tv mixes and, if still available, one full side of clean incidental music cues lifted from the raw mag track captures of the television series (I don't care how short some of them are!). One pressed on splatter vinyl to match the color scheme of the original watercolor jacket painting, and one pressed with "Rainbow Room" color. Center labels should be ultraviolet sensitive. Tip-on, gatefold artwork, of course. First 100 copies should have a perforated blotter paper insert comprising a photo of Boris (Mickey Morton) yawning.

Oh, and the obligatory bonus single or RSD 12" 45rpm record-- Goin' Down Colgems Single Mixes, mono and stereo as well as instrumental, pressed on Frodis color vinyl, with a patchouli or Frodis-scented "acid toy" label that does that rainbow-hologram thing when it spins.

Now that would be a special edition! Or, as they say in the Mid-West. "Spay-shul".

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Sounds like the 3-CD SDEs are dead in the water.

So now it's going to be all 2-Lp sets with a demo or something?

I ordered the Lp set. Thing is I don't own a turntable. They really should include a digital download for those who purchase the album.

Think the thing I'm most excited about is Andrew's updated book. And the Monkees Mixology book. Those 2 will definitely be the definitive Monkees bibles.

WELCOME - monkeesmixography

Monkees Mixography Updated Website + Print Edition?

Any word on a projected release date for the Mixology book? @semidetached

Got a VR email. Looks like Jodi & Nez are peddling some new Nez items. One is a long-sleeve T-shirt with Nez on the front from the FNB days and written Listen To The Band Lyrics on the back. Other items seem like unnecessary junk.

Videoranch - PRE-ORDER -- "Listen to the Band!" First National Band Long Sleeve T-Shirt

Wish he'd either do some recording or release some stuff from the vaults. Seems like he's done with everything and just wants to chill and smoke dope. Good for him I suppose. At his age he can do whatever he wants. He's given us so much. Would like to see Christian work on updating his Dad's catalog. Going through the tapes and seeing what's there.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

"Isn't that dumb?"

Galley, Hep Alien, djoseph56 and 7 others like this.
  16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Sandoval's upcoming books sounds amazing. 2 or 3 different versions, including a super deluxe edition in a clam case, possible replicas of key documents. Good to hear that it will be 100% in color this time.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  17. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

That sucks. I'm not going to buy these 2 lp sets. What a rip.

djoseph56, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  18. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I didn't really hear Andrew say the 3CD sets were dead during this podcast; I seemed to pick up mostly that they were excited to see such great response for this vinyl project and that there could be more. Maybe someone else has a more explicit quote.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

We're all just speculating. Sandoval (I think) has said the next SDE is all ready to go it's just up to Rhino to put it out. Since Rhino's last Monkee activity was to hock the vinyl version of Christmas Party (a year after its initial release), we're assuming the tea leaves aren't pointing to the SDEs for HQ and Pisces.

As for explicit quotes, I don't think these big companies ever say "We're not doing X anymore.", they just kinda stop doing anything until the fan-base moves on. Shame. Still a ton of legitimate Monkee releases to be had.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

So I did a little more A/B-ing Friday Music's CD re-masters of Pool It! and Justus and I really do think Friday has the better mastering. Smoother, lacking the usual Rhino treble boost, and more DR (Justus). Friday's Justus release is a much more pleasant listening experience. Can anyone speak to the other Monkee CDs they released?

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, I actually think the success of other things might turn Rhino on to jumping back on the horse, so to speak. Maybe not as soon as we'd all like!

22. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Agreed. And especially these days. These are hard decisions for record companies to make.
    It's all come around in a circle before and it will again.
    The question sadly is just who will still be around and able to enjoy the next cycle...

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I hope it’s ok if I post my podcast interview about my new Monkees book.

Hep Alien, factory44, RobRoyF and 7 others like this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The only problem I have is that I'd prefer the mono mix. But this could be the best mastering the album's stereo mix has ever gotten. I hate to have to needledrop but I will to get decent masterings.

Brian Mc and cloggedmind like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

LPs, Mono ... I don't get it when you can get excellent sound on CD in Stereo or Surround Mix.

cloggedmind likes this.