Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Re: the monkee mania station …

My understanding is there are no rights issues. There are just laws that have to be followed. If waivers can be granted, great. If other parties like rhino and Mike Nesmith don’t want to issue waivers, that is their right.

If I’m understanding the rules correctly, this will be a tough but doable station to program. Let’s assume there are no waivers. I estimate you can you can play about 60 songs in three hours.
    Monkees 4
    Nesmith 4
    Dolenz 4
    Jones 4
    Tork 4

There is an hours worth right there. Let’s add some others— families and associated acts:

djbh 4
    Boyce/hart 4
    Another 12 from various artists:
    James Lee Stanley
    Christian Nesmith
    Jonathan Nesmith
    Jessica Nesmith
    Jason Nesmith
    Annabelle Jones
    Boyce solo/hart solo/Lewis Clark expedition/ etc

That gets you to about 40 songs. For the other 20, I would play nothing but covers of Monkees and nesmith. There are hundreds and hundreds of tracks out there.

My point is you don’t necessarily need to play Lou Rawls and the mamas and papas.

I wish the operators of the station… Alan and Jody… Nothing but success. Looks like it’s not cheap to keep one of these things running.. Live365 - Start Your Station - Pricing

It also seems like this should be run as a personal hobby and not as an effort to get other people to contribute to the operating costs.

2. super sally

I did a little more reading about how to operate one of the stations. Apparently you must own physical or digital copies or everything you play.
    I suspected that— I just wanted to add that the outline I listed above would certainly be a massive undertaking.
    Also, if there was a benefit to rhino to have their music on one of the stations… It seems to me that they would just start their own monkees channel.

Unless you donated money, I think most people are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this station. The creator has certainly put a lot of work into it.

Frankly, if it were me, I would’ve bailed after learning I can only play four monkee songs every three hours.

3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The thing that some are not taking into consideration is that the listener is getting a ton of solo recordings that the majority of the casual fans have never heard before, plus cover versions and artists with links to The Monkees. So, besides the group songs that are permissible to be played, you’re getting a lot of rare material.

As Nesmith has not signed a permission waiver as yet, the station is allowed to play the Nez 7a Records releases, as well as the ones by Micky, Davy and Peter.

I’m really enjoying the station right now, they obviously put a lot of work into it despite the licensing limitations. Hopefully all that will get ironed out by the time the station is officially launched on September 12th.

RobRoyF, swedwards1960 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  4. super sally

They should be able to play Nez without a waiver.. just limited to four cuts every three hours.
    But maybe not.. sorry if I’ve droned on about things I don’t know.. lol! Just find it interesting

5. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Of course the other thing to take into consideration is that a Monkees channel should be (mostly) playing Monkees records. Can’t speak for anyone else, but most of the solo stuff (Nez, and Micky’s more recent stuff aside) just doesn’t interest me.

Don’t really have a horse on this race anyhow, as I wasn’t planning on listening anyhow. If I wanna hear Monkees, I have my CDs and playlists. But it would seem the folks who launched this should’ve had things straightened out before launching.

6. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I find it interesting as well. I do not disagree with Guy Smiley, nowadays if you want to hear Monkees you probably have CD's, playlists, digital copies even the vinyl. But I regularly listen to Beatles on Sirius and I have wondered if the Monkees and related tunes could sustain a channel. While this is not Sirius, I think we are about to find out.

Guy Smiley and PhoffiFozz like this.
  7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Looks very much like Glen Campbell is playing a Monkees Gretsch guitar on the cover of the just released Live from the Troubadour LP.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, factory44, 905 and 8 others like this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There’s a lot of solo material by the individual Monkees, almost as much as there is solo Beatles. Plus plenty of cover and tribute songs, and many artists associated with the group like Carole King, Neil Diamond, Boyce & Hart, Glen Campbell, etc., that could easily provide many hours of programming. Hopefully when the licensing issues and waivers provided by Rhino and Nesmith are legally cleared, there should be ample material for Monkee Mania Radio to play.

This bit of news just came up on the station’s Facebook page:

Monday and Tuesday we are featuring the NEW Dolenz sings Nesmith on Monkee Mania Radio.

The only place where you will hear Micky Dolenz singing This…..

RobRoyF and JJR like this.
  9. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I know less about Facebook than I do about starting an internet radio station but I could not find what you just wrote on what I thought was their Facebook page. I was however just listening to Circle Sky by Micky on the station as I was searching, so that was great timing. Great that they will be playing all that great music, that tune Circle Sky was the Underground Garage's Coolest Song in the World the week of July 2 and Monkees fans can make it the Coolest Song in the World for 2021 just as we did for Accidental Hipster!!

D-rock likes this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My error, it was posted on Jodi Ritzen’s Facebook page. She is one of the guest DJ’s on Monkee Mania Radio, Alan Williams is the owner of MM Radio. Micky Dolenz is connected to the post which is why his name is highlighted.

Here is the screen cap.

[​IMG]

11. Guy Smiley

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. I have Sirius XM and I do listen to The Beatles Channel some. Mostly in the morning, as I love Breakfast With The Beatles. Chris Carter does very entertaining work.

That channel, overall, does a nice job of mostly playing Beatles records, but also mixes in a lot of alternate takes (Even some bootleg stuff). And they play lots of solo Beatles (A little too much latter day Ringo, honestly), plus covers of Beatles songs and “early influences” on the Fabs. They even do a show now featuring other, non-Beatles artists who recorded for Apple Records.

But at its core, they play Beatles.

Took a long time for them to get the licensing worked out with Apple. But they did, and only then did they launch the channel.

I do not think Sirius XM could justify a permanent Monkees Channel. They don’t have as deep a catalogue, or a vault of live recordings, as the Grateful Dead, Springsteen, etc. SXM does a lot “Limited Time” channels that come and go, however. That might work.

I thought they might do a limited time Monkees Channel for the 50th, back in 2016 when Good Times! came out. That would’ve been the time. Would’ve been a great promotion for Good Times! but that didn’t happen.

Had they done that, and had it proven popular, maybe they’d have brought it back now and then. They do that for some artists. SXM does a Billy Joel Channel, for example, for a couple of months 2-3 a year.

I mean, I wish the people doing this Monkees Radio all the best. But unlesss Rhino grants a license to them (And I’m guessing that won’t be cheap) I don’t see how it succeeds playing mostly solo Davy and old Stan Freberg records.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Iceman08, RobRoyF, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  12. Guy Smiley

Fair point, Fred, about the likes of Neil Diamond and Carole King, etc. That’s reasonable.

But, again, that’s not Monkees records. So, unless Rhino grants a license it’s a lot of stuff loosely associated with The Monkees, with only occasional Monkees records played on a supposed Monkees station.

As for the solo stuff... Well, I know some hardcore fans like it all (Or a lot of it, at least). But, really, are you trying to say that Davy’s self-released stuff (For example), much of it in very crude sound, compares to the solo Beatles catalogue?

Nez has a terrific post-Monkees catalogue. But after the 70s there’s not a lot from him, recent live releases aside.

Micky’s made a few nice albums (And one outstanding one, of Nez’s songs) in recent years. Peter’s made a few, with various collaborators (No judgments here). But none of that stands up to Nez’s body of work, let alone the solo Fabs.

Paul’s body of work alone, even for all his ups and downs over the years, towers over just about anyone’s. Including Nez.

Anyhow, the DSN album has been getting play on SXM’s Underground Garage. I’ve heard a couple of songs on there. Of course, if one wants to hear it they can just buy it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  13. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

OK, at least that means I am not completely out of touch with Facebook, etc. but that does beg another question and I am not trying to be difficult especially to this group that is doing the channel, so this is a real question, is this now really the only place you can hear Micky singing this ( i.e. Circle Sky) even though XM 21 played the heck out of it for a week? Or is that an exaggeration? And if it is an exaggeration, they are doing themselves a disservice by saying it.

Iceman08 likes this.
  14. Guy Smiley

I took it to mean the bonus track of “Grand Ennui.” But then, I wouldn’t be shocked if Underground Garage has played thst too.

Micky’s also done the rounds of various radio shows. Once again, my man Chris Carter came through. He had Mick on his Sunday morning (L.A.) Breakfast With The Beatles show a month or two back. Played several songs from DSN, along with some Monkees songs, and of course talked Beatles together too.

Good program. If anyone’s interested in hearing it, PM me.

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Jessica Nesmith has made recordings?

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Would Circe Link count? She has an amazing catalog.

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

She had one CD that I know of, I have it. Annabel Jones has some good music. Jason and Christian Nesmith have solo music. One of them, I think Jason, was in a group called Nancy Boys?? .. it also had Donovan's son as a member. And of course there's Circe Link (large catalog).

Did Jonathon Nesmith ever release any music? All the Nesmith kids are on the track "Life Becoming" on 'The Garden' .. very briefly.

18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Yes. Her name is Circe. The band is her and Christian, and together they are Circe Link.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

CoCo had a solo album in the 90s but it was only available on cassette. I remember reading about that in the Monkee Business Fanzine.

Then there's side projects, "The Point", 'The World is Golden Too' from the "Blue Angels" soundtrack, Records produced by Nez: Hellecasters, Bert Jansch, Red Rhodes, etc.

Hep Alien, Iceman08 and super sally like this.
  20. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

They have played several Coco tracks, I am not sure if they were from that 90's release. Also, in my opinion the best of the Nez produced LP's Iaian Matthews Valley Hi which would fit in nicely to the music being played.

Hep Alien, Iceman08, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  21. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't figure the bonus track would be any different but that may be it. Chris Carter does the wheel spin on his British Invasion show. The last time it landed on US acts during the BI. I knew Monkees would be in there and they were first up. Lots of Monkees music on Underground Garage along with lots of information from the DJ's after.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  22. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I think it is great to have a Monkees' radio station. But most fans would prefer the Colgems' catalog - die-hards and casual fans a like. Hopefully they will be able to get the rights to play the Monkees' regular songs, otherwise, I don't think this station will last long after reading what I have here. I have enjoyed hearing some deeper tracks and some of the solo material.

Hep Alien, Iceman08, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  23. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

Not according to her bandcamp page:

Circe Link will entice, delight and treat you to a sound she calls Cowboy Jazz., and then some...
    Circe Link

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

One of the songs played on Monkee Mania Radio was Sugar Man, the song Don Kirshner pushed as a single for The Monkees in 1967 which they rejected, NOT Sugar, Sugar which wasn't written until 1969. I pointed this out on the MMR Facebook page and was acknowledged for pointing it out.

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Does MM radio have playlists archived anywhere beyond the last 5 songs played? Also, is it just a browser issue on my end or is www.monkeemaniaradio.com available for purchase? I'm getting a default godaddy page. They might want to nail that down since it's advertised all over their FB page. Lastly, do the DJs just curate the playlists or do they talk between songs, etc., as well?

I went to Monkee Mania Radio - Free Internet Radio - Live365 and pressed play and I'm not getting any music, even though it's saying it's playing "Don't Wait For Me" from DSN. They'd also just played "Java Jive" by the Manhattan Transfer, for some reason. Also, why don't they have a direct link to the radio station page anywhere?

I get the licensing issues but I'm seriously confused by everything else going on here.

Iceman08, RobRoyF, D-rock and 2 others like this.