Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Any wonder it took me over 45 years to finally see Nez LIVE? Always with the west coast! He seldom seemed to come my way, so the Movies Of The Mind tour was absolutely perfect for me.

2. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It sounds like it was the B-side of the single, the A-side being "Porpoise Song." Andrew's entry from 3/18/1969 is not entirely definitive: "A new mono mix of the studio version of 'Circle Sky' is made today. It is possible that this is intended for a single release overseas. In Greece the song will be featured on a single alongside 'Porpoise Song' but it is not know if today's mono remix is used for that pressing."

Now, if it had been up to me, Chip Douglas's backing track for "Today" or the aforementioned "Love Bandit" would have been preferable options to place on the box, despite no Monkees on them or producing... :shrug:

Hep Alien, D-rock and BobT like this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For those of us that bought HQ Sessions when it was available, that is not a good option. I would not buy that simply to fit on my shelf. The HQ set MUST have the NY sessions backing tracks to make it attractive to the HQ Sessions owners. Otherwise, it is just throwing $$$ in the trash...
    Oh, and how about a first class sonic remix of this album-one that doesn't shrill one to deafness...

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

So is the 1969 mix of "Circle Sky" on the Present deluxe not also on the "Head" deluxe?

5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Gawd, no. Anything Monkee related on video has been held back long enough.

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

This needs to be done to all the super deluxe sets. Release 'em digitally. I already suggested this before, but I mean it. I bought a vintage Fisher amp just to use the tone controls SPECIFICALLY for Rhino's Monkees CD releases, because, ooooh are they shrill.

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I wouldn't worry. The whole Rhino method is for us to buy albums over and over again. They absolutely will not pass up the opportunity for us who bought the sessions to buy a whole new package. I would think this one will have some repeat takes but in different mixes at the very least. I'm guessing that the New York sessions along with any early mixes, acetate mixes, and TV mixes will be a big part of the HQSD.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  8. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Well I was there in person twice, so I guess it’s a little less exciting to me. Still a must buy though

9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I really hope everything from Sessions is included, as well as everything you mentioned as well, because it’s too pricy/scarce to buy for people who didn’t get it 20 years ago! Like myself

D-rock likes this.
  10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The trouble with that is, the three CDs in the original Headquarters Sessions set were filled to capacity. That's why those two tracks were shortened in the first place.

To do a new deluxe Headquarters including everything on the Headquarters Sessions, all the New York sessions, remixes and whatever else has since been found, would require more than three CDs, so it wouldn't fit the format of the series. But if they wanted to make an exception and make this one a 4-CD set, I wouldn't complain.

But then would they feel like they have to re-do all of them again as 4-CD sets? Here we go again!

Iceman08, Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  11. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Do you still live in Detroit? I saw him last fall at the Royal Oak Music Theater; I was surprised because, as you said, I didn't think that he would ever come this way. It was fantastic!

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Saw him at the Magic Bag in Ferndale. As we all know it was a cross section of his best and I loved it. However his merch sucked. My 40 dollar hoody disintegrated in less than a week. Oh and on the way home we got rear ended in a hit and run......

13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Yeah, I was a bit bummed that they didn't have many sizes in his shirts.
    It was really an intimate show; less than 1,000 people, if I had to guess.
    When he hit the stage wearing his cowboy hat and white suit, I had tears in my eyes. Nez talked almost as much as he sang (which I loved). He sort of reminded me of an old man telling stories. Which come to think of it, I guess that exactly what it was!

Iceman08, factory44, RobRoyF and 3 others like this.
  14. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

More like 5 or 6 discs. The stereo mix was not on HQ Sessions.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Fair enough. So finish up the Super Deluxe series this year with a Pisces 3 disc set, then start the Uber Duper Deluxe series with a 6 disc HQ next year, followed by a BBM set (which could probably also literally legitimately be a 6 disc set) and keep going until we come back to a 6 disc Pisces set. All with audiophile mastering. I'll buy 'em again, and I won't even be mad.

Alternate with live blu-ray video sets from 60s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s. The footage is out there. Tons of it.

16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Save all that for a Missing Links box. That'd tie it all in a nice bow. On the ML Box release everything that hasn't been released.

Hep Alien, pobbard and wayne66 like this.
  17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

You may be, but I am with you. I would have found a Justus question infinitely more interesting.

18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The Monkee trio tour we never got: Nesmith, Tork & Jones:

[​IMG]

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Yea - same. I'm not interested in vinyl reissues. I usually buy the Deluxe CD sets. I didn't buy them all but I have the majority of them.

Galley likes this.
  21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I don't really care for this tour poster. The face looks too generic to be Nez'.
    I prefer the one from a few years ago when it was a photo of Nez from the back of his head while he was wearing his Nudie suit. That one seemed more compelling for aesthetic reasons than this one above.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and pobbard like this.
  22. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

The next Super Deluxe box release unofficially confirmed by Andrew Sandoval for “late this year.”

Hep Alien, Humbuster, Galley and 4 others like this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Is there a reason why they aren't saying which set the box actually is?

24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Maybe they've combined Headquarters with PAC&J for lack of material.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Rhino’s prerogative to announce later this fall/Christmas season when people are paying attention rather than the dog days of summer. Sandoval can hint at it but is probably prohibited from saying anything more just yet. Or maybe the announcement has to wait until after the Christmas LP release in September so as to not step all over that.