Big Brother 19

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rburly, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Alex and Jason were sore losers! Alex claimed she never lied during the show, yet had a final 2 with Paul and Jason as her ride or die.....I hate jury members that vote on emotion. I guess Cody finally got to stick it to Paul one time. Class act.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  2. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I don't see Paul, Cody, or Jessica going away in BB lore as long as Allison Grodner is around. They gave Boogie and Janelle 3 season chances, so Paul is a shoe in to be on BB again one more time.

rburly and Grant like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Bull. Jody spent most of their time isolated from everybody else, and Cody, in particular, was a hostile combatant when he was with others. The only other person who isolated themselves more is Domonique. And, her self-isolation didn't help when she decided to target Paul. Hopefully, she now knows that it was Cody who lied on her before he was booted out the first time.

No, he's not blaming the victim. It's a game of deception, for cryin' out loud! At one point, everyone's a target!

One thing, though! I have yet to see anyone call Paul on his blackface comments, or call Jody on their vile remarks to just about everyone. Journalists never ask the right questions.

F_C_FRANKLIN and rburly like this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

Grant, that was the huge racist comment Paul said during the show. During Dominique's eviction week, he put on blackface and they cut to fish immediately. That was the racist act that Paul did. He backed away from it immediately after the feeds came back up. There was talk that it was racist. So, when you see Paul say, "I didn't do it for that." It was one of the things he did that he denied being what it was. He said the blackface was his facial cream, and he used it to show the snake that Dom was calling him. That's Paul's version of what happened.

5. Grant

I know.

I meant that I haven't seen anyone call him on it since the show ended.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  6. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I'm not saying I agree with the assessment I made, I was only speculating on reasons an average Big Brother viewer might vote for Cody as America's Favorite. Maybe I'm working too hard against this idea, but I don't want to believe the primary reason people cast votes for a cold, hateful, emotionally unavailable person is because they like those aspects of his personality. The last three winners were Donny, James, and Victor, who generally won (I assume) because they had sympathy from the audience for being (mostly) decent people in a harsh environment.

You're right, and I wasn't trying to imply any of the houseguests were victims. I was observing Paul's attitude toward deception and how easily he can justify his actions against other people. It gave me the impression the way he treats people in real life might not be so far removed from how he plays Big Brother.

7. Grant

I have observed time and time again in life that people generally sympathize and align themselves with those they relate to, or whose personal qualities compensate for the ones they may lack, no matter what the condition is. That extends to friends, co-workers, sports heroes, elected officials.

So, why not carry that same logic to Cody? Dude even admitted that he is the very same way he was in that house.

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The unabashed celebration of ignorance, bigotry and self-centeredness runs rampant in today's society. The cult of selfies as it were.

Grant likes this.
  9. Grant

The problem is that no one gets the message because BB is framed as a game. It's funny, because Survivor focuses more on the game and physical endurance, but its contestants are often psychoanalyzed.

Question to anyone: why is Survivor more popular than BB? Is it because BB goes against our concept of freedom?

rburly likes this.
  10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Because it's a lot better show! Better filmed, better hosted. They are split up into teams for the first half, so working together well with others ensures your safety week after week. While there is so much needing to be done for the day to day survival aspects that laying around doing nothing generally isn't looked kindly upon. There is so much more stress and hardship involved in playing Survivor than BB, it forces different aspects of people to come out in the open that otherwise might not in other circumstances of their lives. And another generality to throw in, the contestants on Survivor have mostly been a lot more age-diverse, likable, interesting, and relatable than the people they seem to dig up for BB.

anthontherun, GLENN and rburly like this.
  11. rburly

I think the main reason Survivor is more popular than BB is because it's a simple concept game. It's on once per week, and is easier to follow as a show. BB is more complicated with all the "unexpected" things they throw in. Some people hate reality shows and don't watch either show. I also think more people can relate to Survivor than BB. Surviving is a basic instinct, drawing people in. People tune into BB and go WTH?! I like em both.

12. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

What exactly are they supposed to vote on exactly? There's no objective criteria and no consistent definition as to what constitutes a "better" player. If there were, there would be no reason to have a jury. It boils down to the dynamics of that crop of contestants. Ultimately, every juror in the history of Survivor or Big Brother has voted for the person they either like better or are more comfortable accepting losing to.

I don't consider Josh an elite player by any means, but Paul completely misread his opponents and outplayed himself. You can be the most strategic player ever but if you disregard the social element in a social game, I don't know how anyone can argue that you deserved to win.

GLENN, zephyr25 and rburly like this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Survivor is a game of physical deprivation and the toll it takes on not just the body but the mind and emotions. BB doesn't deprive the contestants to the same extent, certainly not food-wise - with the exception of the have-nots. BB plays more with the mind and emotions by limiting one's living space and relying more on one's social game although that shouldn't be discounted in Survivor by any means.
    And I can hardly wait for it's return next week. Outwit Outlast Outplay!

14. Grant

If you remember the first U.S. season, BB was where they had to grow/raise their own food, and work together to live. They didn't have washing machines or much time to sit around and scheme. BB controlled every aspect of their lives. The BB concept, as originally implemented, rubbed the American public the wrong way. It was boring because the house came together and supported each other. They all cried every time someone was voted out by the viewers. So, the next season, they changed it into what we have today: comfort, store-bought food, appliances, and nothing to do but scheme and have romantic relationships. The public seems to like that better. It's one big soap opera. In reality, everyone fends for themselves, despite alliances.

With all the interpersonal relationships, it does make it hard for people to follow BB. I ultimately think Americans fear interpersonal relationships on a more intimate level, and that's why they would rather watch a show that's geared more towards survival. Also, instead of being on some exotic island, the houseguests are cooked up in a "house" with cameras watching their every move and monitoring everything they say. I don't think they do that on Survivor.

That's the difference between our legal system and BB. The legal system has instructions for a jury or judge to judge on facts presented to them in accordance to the law. BB jurors have no criteria. In a logical instruction, Paul would have won because he played the better game. But, that also makes for boring television. The reason they don't allow the U.S. viewers to vote is because it becomes nothing more than a popularity contest, hence what happened in that first season.

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

From what I've read and seen in interviews, folks on Survivor are indeed filmed 24/7. The difference being they actually have a camera person following them around as opposed to mounted cameras. There have even been ethical questions about whether said operators should put the camera down and help when someone gets into physical trouble. The same thing applies to The Real World. During the filming of the Real World Hawaii 20 years ago I happened to walk into a small Korean restaurant and there were four young people eating and talking at a table with two cameramen recording everything. I could hear their convo and believe me, just from the few minutes I spent there, I came away with a negative opinion of most of them. Their thoughts and opinions were inane and when I left, I remarked to one of the tech people outside the restaurant that they should get hazard pay having to be around those brats. He just smirked and replied, "You don't know the half of it." I'd wager these folks could tell a ton of interesting stories. This experience also points out how the audience never gets the full picture of who and what these people are due to careful and judicious editing.

16. Grant

With BB, you see more of these people online.

17. rburly

[​IMG]

I saw this picture, now bear with me, and thought... Paul! ;)

18. Grant

I think what bothers people about BB is that it feels like surveillance, and there are no real humans in sight. With Survivor and all those other shows, there are camera and boom people, and producers all over the place in plain sight of the cast.

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Isn't that the point of Big Brother? The whole "I am watching you" thing? I remember in the early days, the opening credits used to show a close-up of a man's eye peering at the camera.

Grant likes this.
  20. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

RIgged for PAUL WOOOOO!!!

Kevin, Ramsis, Jason and Josh had their thanksgiving shindig last night, looked like fun, look on instagram for pixs of it

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

cause that was a nonstory, it was supposed to be a snake face mask, nothing to o with her being black, im not a paul fan but tmz must've had a slow week to report that nonsense

nah. paul is done with bb. grodner misplayed her hand bringing him back so soon and gave him too many advantages and it backfired with the public. jess might come back...maybe cody if he wants.

22. Grant

Apparently, you missed the discussion Paul had where he seriously considered doing a real blackface until he was talked out of it. Then, the producers edited out all references to it. That's why you have the opinion you do.

They shouldn't come back, either. BTW, why is Allison Grodner still there after years of foulups?

rburly likes this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

no I saw it live, the problem is the face mask he was going to use to draw in the snake features was black, so everyone jumped on that as if he was going to do a real 'blackface' which he wasn't. it was always a "snake", they ended up giving him green face mask. paul didn't get how it might be interpreted, probably too young and insulated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.