Big difference in cartridge weight...add a shim?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Weight of my cartridges:

2m bronze: 19.615 g
    Grado m+ mono: 15.21 g
    AT 120eb: 12.71 g

My pioneer pl600 works fine with the 2m. Hard to adjust the counterweight when there is that big of a difference in headshell weights. Dimes are 2.2 g each. Add a couple dimes on top of the headshell to test the weight? (2 for the mono and 3 for the 120eb?). That would make them each weigh approximately the same. Is there a reason that adding headshell weights wouldn't work?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

No reason it wouldn't work, but may adversely affect performance if the cartridge compliance is high and matching to the tonearm is already marginal.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I might also work in favor depending on the cartridge/ tonearm specs, I would be of the opinion of getting an additional head shell of different weight, sounds like a heavier one is what you need to prevent your experiment from landing on the record and destroying your cantilever. some head shells also have a threaded hole where you can screw a purposely made weigh, generally 4 or 2 grams.

Clonesteak likes this.
  4. WvL

Cartridge compliance? Sorry, but you've lost me

5. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

The 2m bronze only weighs 7.2 grams so you must have a pretty heavy head shell unless it's a plug and play (PNP) type.
    For my lighter cartridges I use a Chinese import cast aluminum head shell that looks exactly like a Technics HS1. Weighs 10 grams bare .
    For heavier cartridges I use a lighter stamped aluminum head shell. Also an import.This keeps counterweight adjustment over a narrower range.
    Taping coins to a head shell to me is not a good solution. Reminds me of the 60's when people taped or glued coins to reduce skipping.
    Compliance relates to how easy it is for the stylus to move in its suspension.High compliance cartridges usually track at .75-1,25 grams.
    Low compliance cartridges have a stiffer suspension and track at 2.5 to 3 grams.
    I think many believe a high compliance cartridge should have a low mass tone arm to be effective .
    A heavier tracking cartridge or low compliance would be better used with a medium mass tone arm.
    Personally, I've never been able to tell any difference in sound quality or longevity using a medium mass tonearm for all types of cartridges.

6. WvL

All 3 of the cartridges recommend vtf of 1.5g. Am I still not getting it? The 2m bronze is a pnp. Should I remount the cartridge in a lighter headshell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.