Big Fish

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sput, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam Thread Starter

:edthumbs: :edthumbs: :edthumbs: :edthumbs:

Strange but very entertaining and heart reaching.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I really loved this movie when it first came out. I'm still bummed that it didn't do much better at the box office.
    This is a DVD I'll certainly be buying!
    BTW, how are the extras?

Dan C

3. stever

stever Senior Member

I just rented this last night. I've always liked Burton's harmless quirkiness, and I wasn't disappointed. I loved the life story of Edward Bloom, but maybe there could have been one or two less "big" stories. The end didn't grab me like I wanted it to. Ewan McGregor was excellent. I like Steve Buscemi, but he wasn't that effective here. Very cute movie.

4. Sput

I rented it and did not have the opportunity to explore the extras.

5. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

great film. drew a tear

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

7. Sput

I enjoyed your review yet...is it fair to grade a movie by comparison to only Burton's previous work. Does Spielberg get an F for IA because Schindler's List was an A?

I'd give Big Fish a B based on the fact that it was too long for a mediocre finish.

8. stever

stever Senior Member

Big Fish IS NOT Forrest Gump. The story, the acting, the humor, the conclusion, the genuine emotion -- I repeat...

9. Oatsdad

Asking me about "Schindler's List" is a whole different ball of wax - let's just say I wouldn't give it an "A"!

Anyway, none of my grades connect to movie quality. They're for picture/sound/extras.

10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'd say yes. Given the fact that we know Spielberg is capable of greatness, mediocrity is a failure for him. I would be more likely to go easier on a less seasoned or less talented movie maker.

11. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I think Big Fish is, quite frankly, one of the best (if not "the BEST") movie I've seen.

Seldom does a movie so quirky, so off-beat, and so original, has spoken to me so loudly. It was much more than a movie - dare I say an "experience"?

I went to watch it with a couple of friends of mine. I sat next to a friend who's had a similar father-son relationship to me (working father, we seldom saw them, they use to tell us stories all the time, want a grandchild BAD, and so on...). It was really funny to see him looking at me, and me staring at him, just *waiting* for the first tear to come out. By the ending, though, all water faucets had been turned on....

It's magnificent... I'm still not sure whether "Nightmare Before Christmas" or this one is Burton's masterpiece...

12. Sput

Give me the review.

13. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Just rented this one...

Hits a little close to home, as my father died in 2002...

He also had cancer, as did the father in the movie...he wasn't eating much, and we were always trying to get him to drink Ensure...when it came to that part of the film, I just started crying again...

Yet I did not find it a sad film...strange and magical and beautiful...not perfect, but I don't care. It was right for me.

Highly recommended.

peace to all,

14. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Well, he didn't direct "Nightmare", so that's a different category.

15. Oatsdad

Just visit the site in my sig and you'll find it there...

16. Sput

A very well written review but I disagree. I will find a Schindler's List thread and throw out my two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.