Big Little Lies - HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

all that matters, all that matters

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was talk of doing another season right after S1 ended, since it was so well received. IIRC they said they'd consider it if the original book author (on which S1 is based) thought it could be done and would be involved in realizing it.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what a dumb idea to bring it back for a second "season".

GodShifter, jpelg and Deesky like this.
  4. Deesky

I tend to agree, even though I would love to see these characters again. Unless they can somehow knock it out of the park, it will be a case of creatively diminishing returns.

chacha and GentleSenator like this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

6. Deesky

Maybe it will be limited to two seasons. :)

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i regress.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...will dictate.

8. Agreed. One and done was perfect for this story and characters.

GodShifter and GentleSenator like this.
  9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

It will win that category (Limited TV Series-Golden Globes), too, taking advantage of an admittedly weak field. Also every principal actor was nominated, so the chances of winning at least one of those is high.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Right.
    Let’s hope we’re wrong.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Just started watching. Episode one, not bad, its contrivances somewhat disguised by ingenous editing. Episode 2, the narrative starts to kick in and characters begin bouncing off each other. Big improvement, and suggest the producers are willing to play long ball with the structure. I especially appreciated the scene where Madeline admitted to the Play Director she was fully aware that she sort of relished conflict. That self awareness helps see her as more than just a self-indulgent soccer mom.

Did anyone notice some dialogue is difficult to hear? Especially the kitchen scenes with Ed (whose a mumbler anyways) and the scenes outside the coffeehouse?

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Heard good things about this and plowed through Season 1 this week. I liked it a lot early on, but it felt like it ran out of gas late, and while Perry being the murder victim felt right, the murder scene was a bit underwhelming, and him being Jane's rapist felt a bit too contrived. I will watch Season 2, but I am not excited about it as I was halfway through Season 1. The performances were all really good, for sure.

GodShifter and chacha like this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow, this new season is bleak. Interesting no one is really talking about it here. Strong acting as expected but it’s really pretty grim so far.

15. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I'm enjoying Season Two. Meryl Streep is excellent and the soundtrack is great. Neil Young's Down By The River in Episode 2!

Ron P. likes this.
  16. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

My wife and I watched the first season and loved it. So far this season we feel the same way, excellent show.

johnny 99 likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not bad so far.

nice to see reese witherspoon having to act.

kidman is fantastic as usual, holding her own quite well with streep as they go toe to toe, with obviously more to come.

shailene woodley is good as usual, and zoe kravitz gets beter with every show.

laura dern, meh. her storyline might get better, but rich trophy wife loses everything is tired.

pretty obvious the endgame is who, if anyone will crack.

Ron P. likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

there's no reason for this second season to exist, but man is streep something. her acting is so damn good.

jpelg likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I like the characters so I’m glad they made a second season.

20. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Season 2 is becoming a dramatized version of "The Real Housewives of Monterey". It is beautifully shot, acting top-notch, and the music selections are great. But it's schadenfreude at it's best.

GentleSenator and rjp like this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that was basically the first season and source material, yes?

GodShifter and jpelg like this.
  22. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The best line to-date has to be from this little exchange between Laura Dern's character Renata & her husband from last week's ep:

Gordon: You used to like that song.
    Renata: I used to like to sit on your face too. You think that will happen again?

Ron P., rjp and Werner Berghofer like this.
  23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I particularly like: “I will not...not be rich”

Ron P., APH, Werner Berghofer and 3 others like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

For me Dern’s best line came last week when her daughter was traumatized by learning about global warming at school and she told the principal “I’ll buy every kid their own ****ing polar bear.”

Ron P. likes this.
  25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The only thing that is bugging me about Season 2 is that Meryl's wig is distracting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.