Big Little Lies - HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m finding myself continually impressed with how truthful and present Zoe Kravitz is this season

bartels76, Ron P. and jpelg like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Exactly. Huge budget with the actors alone.

Not only that, but this season was created expressly due to the popularity of what was supposed to be a one time limited series.

For those that don’t know, the original series is based upon a book and the story takes place in Australia. The author is Liane Moriarty. The original series was adapted and written by David E. Kelley. Kelley and Moriarty collaborated on a second season with no real story to go on. They succeeded.

Anyway, that’s not to say there cannot be a third season, but where do you take it from this one?

3. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yes, soundtrack is MUCH improved! Last years was awful and it's obvious they figured it out. The last episode I watched last night evening, (I think it's the latest), was deep, dark and I really liked it! Bringing up real life issues instead of just being soapy. And they got me back into it at the end when with "Dreaming My Dreams With You". Wow..it just killed me! Can't say I care much for the original but Margo Timmins version is magic to me.

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. This story does not seem to have a long shelf life, and I could easily see it being wrapped up this year.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

This show and Stranger Things are the only shows where I don't forward through the intros. Love both themes which is a rarity these days.

jpelg likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

we need to see how this season wraps up first, if they stretch the big reveal of the lie it could go on for another season

GodShifter likes this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

An earthquake rocks the community, forcing everyone to re-evaluate their sensibilities in the slow recovery until they finally realize in the last episode "Nah, we're superficial, and we like it that way."

Ron P. and GodShifter like this.
  8. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I watched the first season with my wife. She’s on her own for this one. It’s not my thing either.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

My girlfriend watches cooking shows and HDTV. I'm a huge a fan of Big Little Lies.

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I find myself really looking forward to kicking back late Sunday night with a glass of whiskey and relaxing and enjoying this show. Superb acting.

Ron P., James F. Hassan, grx8 and 3 others like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I still intend to see this as I liked the first season, but like @Deesky, want to wait until it's finished so I can binge it.

12. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

My girl and I do same when we find a new episode on the DVR,....red wine for her and a Woodford for me.

johnny 99 likes this.
  13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Once again the episode flies by quickly. At least I like this series way better than the other series my wife likes, NBC's This Is Us. That one is tough for me to sit through every week.

George P likes this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

Yeah, it is losing me as well, although there are only a few episodes left this season, so I will tough it out. I mean, do we really need the constant flashbacks to the night of Perry's murder and of the sex scenes between Perry and Celeste. Feels like lazy writing.

George P likes this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Tonight’s episode was perhaps the best of the series. Nicole Kidman should win all the awards. Laura’s Dern’s meltdown on the ride home from bankruptcy court was too funny.

16. George Co-Stanza

Yep, it was good tonight.

Not that the Twitter universe can ever be trusted, but this idea that Mary Louise is the devil and Celeste is honorable and pure is madness. Celeste is clearly struggling and has shown major signs that would concern anyone. That said, they have written the Mary Louise character in a way where she has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I guess that is what happens when you have this many characters and you have to jam pack it all into a short season with episodes that don't even last a full hour despite being advertised that way.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Looking forward to next weeks episode.
    Should be some good fireworks in court.

George P likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Where are we in this series now? About six episodes in?

I'm liking it okay, but I don't really think it's near as good as the original (but, how could it be as it was written after the source material). Laura Dern's storyline probably interests me the most while Reese Witherspoon's the least. I, too, and am getting a little weary of watching the flashbacks of Celeste's abuse and rape. I think we get it.

Also, is Robin Weigert the only therapist in Monterrey?

Finally, I could Zoe Kravitz just walk around and do nothing. I think's so beautiful :love:

19. George Co-Stanza

It sounds like this is unlikely to be renewed for a 3rd season, which means this will have been a waste of time since there is no way they can wrap up every storyline in one more episode. Too bad, as it had a good start, but lost the plot and is now going to have an ending with a lot of questions unanswered.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

The show was originally supposed to only be one season. I'm grateful that they extended it to two.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

will be the deciding factor.

without a doubt.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

How far is this supposed to go? Eight episodes?

Uh oh (if so).

23. George Co-Stanza

Next week is the last episode of the season, and quite possibly of the show.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hm. Not good news. We’ll see how this plays out.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thoughts (conjecture) about the ending:

kidman will bust streep's balls when she gets her on the stand, to the point that streep freaks out, not only about herself but about her son too. not sure how the streep/kidman relationship will end (violence or not? but i believe that violence will play a major role in wrapping this up))

witherspoon's husband will have sex with the woman who is after him, tell witherspoon, and then they will have great sex and live happily ever after.

zoe kravitz will suffocate her mother, and then do something drastic, not sure in my mind what she will do though, there are quite a lot of possibilities for her character and she could go a number of different ways, none of them very pretty.

shaliene woodley' s character is an enigma for me. she has major issues, and i doubt they can wrap her up in bow with everything else that is going on. i do think her boyfriend is an undercover cop, and that mey come into play, but i could be wrong and that storyline may be long over. i can see her moving in with kidman and the 2 of them raising the 3 boys, if kidman survives everything that will precede the ending.

laura dern will be the last shot. they will win their bankruptcy case and the series will end with dern sitting on her husband's face.

i'll probably be wrong on all counts, but it was fun thinking it up :)

GodShifter and George Co-Stanza like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.