Big or small speakers plus sub?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Fredericks, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Sometimes when I'm considering "upgrading" equipment I like to consider things with fresh eyes and work my way up in concepts again. It keeps me "open" to new considerations. My questions: I'm planning on possibly getting new speakers $3,000 budget (and I'm keeping my sub). Would I do better to get a good pair of bookselfs (w/ stands) or a nice pair of floorstanding speakers? I want good imaging and a nice "big" sound (best of both worlds I guess). Which direction should I go?

Merci,
    Todd

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The best way to produce a natural sound I've noticed is to have 2 large floor standing speeks. I like my sub too, but the way my living room is configured (and the fact I own electrostatics 52"X 24X) the sub does a wonderful job.

If I had my way, I would use 2 large floorstanders and drop the sub. However, I'm kinda stuck between audiophile and HT enthusiast. So, the employment of several different speakers (and a discreet sub) has to be a battled concideration.

If you're just thinking about stereo though, huge speakers that are absolutely full range, maybe something efficiant for tubes? Depends on a lot. If you're speaking generally, I'd vouch for the fact that a well built pair of speakers matched to a certain amp, you'll find the huge honkers that are ABLE to produce low frequency very well will win you over. Full frontal attack.

Are you going SS or tubies? Big thing to concider...

3. Todd Fredericks

Sckott,

I'm going to continue using my Dynaco ST-70, so I'll need something with good sensitivity. The sub I have is pretty good and I'd like to x-over it off were the speakers trail off to handle the low bass...

Todd

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's fine. You realize larger efficiant speaks should be able to handle enough punch. You can try using with/without later. The sub isn't so much important as is the large speaks.

Have you thought of the low-cost Pi's?

http://www.pispeakers.com/

5. Todd Fredericks

I haven't considered that route. I checked out the web-page, looks interesting. I'll go over it when I have some more time to read and digest...

Thanks,
    Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.