Biggest artists you never saw, but could have . . .

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zep Fan, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

Elvis

Pink Floyd

The Eagles (with Joe Walsh)

The Police

U2

Paul McCartney & Wings

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones
    Iron Maiden
    Sting

3. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Bob Marley
    The Beatles
    Frank Sinatra

Sean likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I had a ticket for a The Rolling Stones concert in the very early Nineties. It got postponed for some reason and when it was rescheduled, it clashed with another concert I had a ticket for (To Hell With Burgundy, if memory serves) and I was more interested in that so I sold my Stones ticket to my housemate.

Fullbug and thematinggame like this.
  5. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

could have seen David Bowie at Milton Keynes i think. Not sure how i would have got there though.

6. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Pink Floyd
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    The Kinks
    Prince
    B.B. King
    Willie Nelson (the clock is ticking, obviously)

7. apb

apb Game on!

Led Zeppelin
    Frank Sinatra
    Tom Waits
    Nirvana
    Velvet Underground

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

I had third row, dead -center tickets for the Capitol Theater (Passaic, NJ) in 1979.

But he developed laryngitis a couple weeks before the show and rather than postpone, he cancelled.

Eventually , he rescheduled the event , but by then , Damn the Torpedoes had blown up and I couldn’t touch touch the tickets.

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Biggest regret is not seeing The Allman Bros. on their last tour when Duane was still alive.

A bunch of my buddies, who had seen them the year before and said they were fantastic, went... I passed as I was unfamiliar with them at the time.

Second biggest is not see the Jethro Tull "Aqualung" tour -- my cousin invited me and then somehow it slipped my mind.

I was a huge Tull fan, and, given that the "Thick as a Brick" tour show was the greatest concert I've ever seen (out of hundreds) and the "A Passion Play" tour was a great show, even though I didn't like that particular album -- I'm sure I would have been blown away by "Aqualung."

The only band that could challenge Prime-Era Tull as the greatest live band is The 'Oo (the "Who's Next" tour show being a very close second-best to "Thick as a Brick" for me (though The Grateful Dead had some transcendent 20-30 minute segments, when they all locked in).

Other regrets are not seeing The Pogues and not seeing Dean Martin in Vegas -- a couple of buddies made a few pilgrimages to Vegas to see Dino, they also were the ones who told me how great the Pogues shows were.

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  10. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Rush, Crowded House, Neil Diamond

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I suppose I could have been to any concert held since I was born.

12. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

I went to that rescheduled show - Rockpile was opener!

JoeF. likes this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Probably the biggest for me was declining to see The Velvet Underground on their reunion tour.

The VU albums were always very precious to me, and I didn't want to be in a field next to a bunch of black clad junkies who only like the VU and The Stooges, and casual fans who'd be there out of curiosity or to bump up their "cool". Well, that was my vision of it anyway. Lol. Also that fear of "what if it's crap?"

14. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Due to me being sick:
    Morrissey
    Madonna
    Queen with Adam Lambert
    Sugarcubes

Due to show rescheduled to date I wasn't free:
    Rolling Stones
    Lady Gaga

Because I didn't care to make the road trip:
    The Police (eventually saw them)

15. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Wow.....an era of great double bills!

The biggest for me was Talking Heads. Had tickets but was sick and didn't go....never had a chance to see them again.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Queen with Freddie

[​IMG]

Jarleboy, KAJ1971 and Man at C&A like this.
  17. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Had a ticket to see Led Zep at Miami Bch Convention Ctr in Apr '70. My mother had different plans. Would've been my first biggie. I was 14.

bluejimbop likes this.
  18. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Elvis
    Sinatra
    Leonard Cohen
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf

CWChrome and bluejimbop like this.
  19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

In college some city slickers were trying to turn me on to Bruce Springsteen and offered me tickets for free. I said nah...I've heard him,don't like him. Their collective mouths dropped open.

Maranatha5585 and john lennonist like this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Prince. My g/f had a spare ticket to one of his 02 concerts, which was mine if I wanted it. I wasn’t into him at the time, and passed on it.

Bad call ....

stewedandkeefed and Zep Fan like this.
  21. Geezee

Geezee Forum Resident

I've had tickets to see Nirvana, Jacobites, Grant Hart and The Fall but the artist died before the event. :(

22. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Ray Charles came to Gran Canaria early 90s and I was living there and didn't go!

I so regret that chance missed. His album from that time (One World) still remains a favourite of mine - I really should have gone. to see him - such a random appearance in an open air Colosseum or bullring I think.

Speaking of random, I was glad I did go to see Van Morrison in Grosvenor Park in Chester around the millennium I think - Lonnie Donegan supported an intimate, sunny gig with Van in fine form.

23. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Rush is the biggie for me.

24. sami

sami Mono still rules

Got to see pretty much everyone I ever wanted to (and could have), but I have three that I regret never having seen:

early Devo after their first two records
    The Clash around 1980
    Bob Marley

And the biggest of all - the Dead

25. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Bert Jansch. I was working swing shift at the time and would have messed up my sleep schedule had I attended. Shame because just a few months later, he was gone.

Van Halen. Last tour, lawn tickets were $20. I asked one of my best friends (who’d already seen them) if he wanted to go. He said no, it wouldn’t be as good as their heyday, it wasn’t *really* Van Halen, Roth can’t sing anymore, etc. I didn’t want to go by myself so...I didn’t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.