Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Gin Blossoms after Doug Hopkins was booted. He wrote their only memorable songs.
    Sabbath after Dio left the first time and after he left the 2nd time.
    VH after DLR left and then again when Hagar left and Cherone replaced him (went from great to meh to awful)
    Squeeze after Jools Holland left the 2nd time (they made their best album East Side Story after he left the first time. Their sound missed him once he left for good after Frank).
    Deep Purple when Ian Gillan was booted out/left and replaced with Joe Lynn Turner.
    Foreigner after Lou Gramm left and Johnny Edwards replaced him on Unusual Heat.
    Bad Company when Rodgers left and Brian Howe took over.
    The Ted Nugent band after Derek St. Holmes left
    Judas Priest post Rob Halford. Ripper Owens couldn't cut it in the studio.
    Boston after Brad Delp died
    Crowded House after Paul Hester left and then again after Paul Hester died and they reunited without him. Neil Finn still wrote great songs but Hester's absence just can't be filled.
    The Who after Keith Moon.

2. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Instant Replay is pretty good overall. There are some old recordings and re-recordings on it. I actually like the older versions of 'Don't Listen to Linda' and 'The Girl I Left Behind Me.' There are some turkeys on it too, like 'Tear Drop City' and 'Shorty Blackwell.' It's better than the two albums that follow it - The Monkees Present (which is too inconsistent) and Changes (a contractual obligation album, and it sounds like it).

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  3. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

I'm sure its already been discussed somewhere in the thread, but for me its post-Taylor Stones.

Without him, they lost the ability to create songs of great mystery, beauty and grandeur. They'd never again reach the heights represented by Shine A Light, Loving Cup, Sway, Let It Loose, Moonlight Mile, Winter etc.

Plus they would never create songs that had that massive pile driving rock and roll sound represented by songs like All Down The Line, Bitch, Brown Sugar, and Soul Survivor. I know these are largely Keith songs, but its the Taylor era band that gave them their power.

Finally, they were never again able to create songs that had that slippery, sexy, boogie style vamping represented by Shake Your Hips, Turd on The Run, Ventilator Blues etc.

But then I still think of Ron Wood as the "new guy"! Plus I've always thought of Some Girls as vastly overrated as a return to form. There's just no comparison between the songs listed above, and the thrashy, trashy likes of Respectable, Lies, When The Whip Comes Down. Emotional Rescue was more of the same, but worse.

The Stones have a small set of good songs, post 74--Before They Make Me Run, Beast Of Burden, a few others, but overall they took a big step backward when Wood joined.

Taylor was a genuine virtuoso musician and the Stones reached epic and to me unequalled heights when he was in the band.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  4. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

You’re definitely correct here.

Nick Dunning and Two Sheds like this.
  5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Glimour plays bass on Sheep too. Roger plays bass on Dogs only. And how on earth did Roger write all the music? He didn’t. He wrote the basic chords which make up very little of the actual album. Lol MOST of the album consists of arranging. Probably a case where there should have been an additional “All songs arranged (aside from POTW) by Pink Floyd.” I don’t believe for a mere second that Roger somehow told/showed Rick what to play. He wouldn’t have been able to. Like what, he strummed a Dm chord for Sheep and Rick came up with his extended into and somehow Roger wrote it? Funny how these things work.

6. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Moby Grape after Skip Spence - never the same without all five in the band.

7. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

Easy.

Depeche Mode after Alan Wilder quit.

pwhytey, WithinYourReach and WSUDelt like this.
  8. apb

apb Game on!

The Clash after Topper Headon. Mick Jones's departure effectively ended the band, but the free fall started when Headon was sacked prior to the 1982 USA tour. Terry Chimes wasn't up to the task of replacing Headon. Although they finally cracked America, they were running on fumes.

jumpinjulian and WithinYourReach like this.
  9. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Check out Alain’s twitter lately ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.