Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree with your point regarding Trevor Lucas. He was excellent.

I quite like Gotttle O' Geer despite the fact it's a sprawling mess of an album. Most of the individual tracks are strong but they don't necessarily sound like they should be sharing space on the same record.

And, as you say, it brought Simon Nicol back in to the fold, albeit as engineer & guest initially, which led to my two favourite Fairport albums, The Bonny Bunch & Tipplers Tales.

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I always thought that the last 2 Ozzy albums were unfairly maligned and only a slight decline from their prior output. But that's just me, I can't force others to agree. They did need to update their sound to continue successfully and did just that with Dio. Regardless of what one thinks of the last 2 albums with Ozzy, the change needed to happen and it worked out in the end for both Ozzy and Black Sabbath.

Zoot Marimba and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Stones rebounded after Taylor quit - the post-Taylor albums are better than "GHS" and "IORR"...

4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

By the time they did Stormbringer Ritchie was already contemplating leaving as he was not happy with the change in musical direction from what I read. He was holding back songs for his eventual Rainbow project. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Come Taste the Band but I would argue Stormbringer is not inferior to that album but like everything related to music it is JMO.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think those 2 are a drop from "Lamb" - which is the only PG-era Genesis I like - but I think the PC-era Genesis got better in the early 80s.

I'm in the minority, but "Duke" and "Abacab" are my favorite Genesis albums!

Terrapin Station likes this.
  6. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Canned Heat really wasn't the same without Alan Wilson

Kingsley Fats, bekayne and jwjeffrey like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Haircut 100, of course

8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

That is kind of a strange statement for him to make since they have been touring and billed as "Queen" since Paul Rodgers fronted them back in 2004? I took my young daughter and her friend to see a concert billed as "Queen" just a few weeks ago. Not that I care one way or another mind you as you put on a great show when we saw them but how can they claim they are not Queen?

[​IMG]

9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The point being: personal tastes aside, Genesis did not turn to crap when Peter Gabriel left. They had a long, artistically varied career without him and made many beloved albums (as he did without them).

In general, I don't much like the premise of the thread. Most great artists with long careers will make lots of different kinds of albums. They will ebb and flow and appeal to the personal tastes of different fans in different ways. I typically own every album by every artist I like and appreciate them all for what they are.

Papi Hipbone323 and carlwm like this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Sweet after Brian went.

12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

HUGE loss. "Seventh Sojurn" was the end for me, "Octave was a massive disappointment, I was in my local record shop when it came in, mine was the first copy out of the box, I tried to like it, I played it more than once every day for six weeks trying to get it, then I gave up. The next album was even worse (it's title escapes me) I only managed two plays before I gave it away.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Nick Dunning likes this.
  13. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

More of a move sideways than backwards, for me. Both TFC and MLoR are good albums, in their own ways, but both lack a lot of what made 70s PF great. Roger did probably make the greatest difference, since TFC is a RW solo album. But, in direction more than quality.

NB: I think that TDB is a much better album than MLoR.

C&TtB is a great album, and better than Stormbringer in my opinion.

Greg Gee likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Brian was a wonderful singer and a loss for sure but I think the three albums they made without him are excellent.

15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

No Pinder on "Octave" Pat Moraz on the keys.

16. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

The Stooges...after Curly had his stroke and retired.

[​IMG]

17. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

The current Steely Dan without Walter Becker

Greg Gee likes this.
  18. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Pinder's on 'Octave'. Patrick Moraz was brought in for the tour that followed.

Vic_1957 and seed_drill like this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Really?

Didn't know that. Thought he joined for the tour. Mike has the keyboard credit on my album version (along with Messrs Hayward & Lodge if memory serves).

Vic_1957 likes this.
  20. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have you seen them since Becker passed? If so, how has the sound changed? I saw them 4 times, but with Fagen-Becker, who usually played rhythm.

intv7 likes this.
  21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I guess you missed the "+ Adam Lambert" there. And the "+ Paul Rodgers" before that??

Yes, I know, they're using the name Queen as part of the billing. But I see a huge, huge distinction here by adding the singer's name. They could go out as simply "Queen" -- but they don't. Because they're not.

22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The sound hasn't changed at all. The only difference is that Jon Herrington gets more leads, which is for the better, musically.

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

To be fair, Shemp was placed in the unenviable position of replacing a legend, and performed admirably under the circumstances. Replacing Shemp with Joe Besser was when all of the wheels came off.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They were recording the material for "Other Voices" before he died.

John DeAngelis and MortSahlFan like this.
  25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

My memory fails me, could have sworn MP left the band before "Octave".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.