Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Collective Soul when Ross Childress left?!

unclefred likes this.
  2. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Nope, I did not miss them mentioning Rodgers or Lambert but how can you say they are not touring as "Queen" and then they tour as "Queen"? Their posters advertise them as "Queen", their merchandise at the concerts say they are "Queen" and the tickets I bought said "Queen" on them.

Even with the special guest singer they still bill themselves as "Queen". By deduction, they must think of themselves as Queen with a guest singer yes?

With all due respect, I am not following your logic.

frightwigwam and grouploner like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I'm with you. The billing implies that the current band of musicians - which includes 2 of the 4 original members - equals "Queen".

If Watts and Richards toured as "The Rolling Stones + New Lead Singer", it'd still be implied that Watts + Richards = "Rolling Stones".

It's clear May and Taylor view the "+" as an "out" to act as an excuse to differentiate the band from the version with Mercury and Deacon, but it doesn't make sense on the surface.

Or below the surface, really! :D

4. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

While I enjoy the Isolation record, the album did remind me of Journey - something they don't need to do. And how I would love to hear a cleaned up version of Lion with Kimball's vocal. Yes, I know a demo exists but yes, I digress...

5. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I like CTtB but it does not have that signature Blackmore edge. Again it is just an opinion, but I still think it is not better than Stormbringer, as both are not the bands best work but still good, and certainly not better than Burn or the Gillan MK II era albums before that. Again YMMV

6. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

The Verve - Nick McCabe
    The Stone Roses - Reni
    The Who - Moon

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

But they're not touring "as Queen". The act is called "Queen + Adam Lambert".

Yes, I realize that the name Queen is included in this moniker -- but you can't say "They're touring as Queen" because they simply aren't.

To me, this is a way of Brian and Roger being able to compromise under very difficult circumstances. They want to go out there and play Queen music and celebrate their band's legacy. Can't fault them for that. But if they chose to perform without using "Queen" somewhere in their name, the average person isn't going to know who they are. It's a way of reminding people "we're Queen" (because lets face it, with one member dead, and one uninterested in performing, they are the two left holding the bag), without presenting the act onstage as actually being Queen.

I don't see them as trying to pass this act off as a continuation of Queen, I'm sorry.

8. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Jason said he quit the Band:

Michael Rose and seed_drill like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agreed. They were a great band, perhaps the best, and since Olivieri was fired and Lanegan left it's painfully clear that Homme can't make interesting music by himself.

Meyer likes this.
  10. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Styx-Dennis Deyoung

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You could argue that but to me Suede is one of very few bands where a pivotal band member left and they continued to reach almost the same artistic heights, and got even bigger commercially.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Total BS. They are still great because it was always Charles' band.
    Yeah, her songwriting is really missed. Oh wait, she didn't do any beyond two co-writes.
    But here occassional vocal yelps and her face...that must be what you rate so highly. Kind of immature dontcha think.

unclefred and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Simple Minds.
    First Derek Forbes was fired in 1985. While it didn't harm them commercially it eroded the band unity and they lost a vital songwriting contributor.
    Which probably led to the departure of Mick MacNeil in 1989, after which they produced some weak work and only rebounded years later.

Spot778 likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So when the "Get Back" single read "The Beatles with Billy Preston", they weren't the Beatles? :confused:

May/Taylor easily could've used a different name that didn't imply the two of them = "Queen". "After Queen", "Long Live Queen", whatever.

The "Queen +" moniker still establishes them as "Queen"...

15. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

As sad as that was and a huge talent lost, I think the drop off wasn't immediate as Brothers & Sisters was and still is an incredible album. Not disagreeing with you at all, and the loss of Barry was big too. I can still remember hearing B&S those first few weeks after its release and just marvelling at how good it sounded. Me and my friends thought it was over for ABB until we heard B&S. It seemed Dickey still had a few tricks up his sleeve. But after that, then you could see the effects of Duane's and Barry's passings. What could have been! Damn, they were young.

classicrocker likes this.
  16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just read this about 5 minutes ago while re-reading John Densmore's book, how they were auditioning without Jim in Paris.

17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

For me, while they still had many high points Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green left were never quite as compelling and enjoyable.

Showing how subjective music is my wife thinks the exact opposite.

18. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

Particularly after Mick Jones was fired - nearly two years after Topper Headon.

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I still like the post-Dio albums, but I'd also agree that there was a big drop-off after Dio.

(I just don't agree that Dio was an improvement . . . but I'm a weirdo who loves Never Say Die, Technical Ecstasy, etc. I'd instead say that Dio was a rare change of one of the most important members of a band that resulted in different but more or less just as good material. Comparable to AC/DC going from Bon Scott to Brian Johnson in my opinion.)

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yep, but Mikes heart wasn’t into recording that album, so it was the beginning of the end for him with the band, so it sounds that way .

I like Long Distance Voyager as an album but generally, after he left the band I like some of their songs but not entire albums as a complete listening experience.

FVDnz, Vic_1957 and seed_drill like this.
  21. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

The Jacksons went from Destiny and Triumph with Michael, to Victory with MJ half-absent, to 2300 Jackson Street without no MJ at all.

DiabloG and bataclan2002 like this.
  22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Meh. You say tomato...I say tomahto + Paul Rodgers.

frightwigwam, ARK and Oatsdad like this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

There were issues during the recording of that album.
    Further complicated when Pinder did not want to tour to promote the album.

24. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

You really hear how much of Janes sound was Eric once he was gone. For me it goes from a great listen to unlistenable.

jumpinjulian and Greg Gee like this.
  25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Pogues without Shane

Lonecat and mr. steak like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.