Bill Burr: Paper Tiger

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Louis CK is my favorite out of the three.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There are some audio-captured shows on YouTube. Hilarious stuff and makes me even sadder that he's not back out there touring extensively. Just terrific.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. I finally saw this last night. It was great! I think I even prefer it to the Chapelle special, in that Burr was so rapid-fire with the jokes, it just flowed, almost to the point where I thought he'd lose his breath.

Some people might not like this machine gun approach, but I found that it highlights Burr's genius, as he keeps getting better with age.

Perhaps it got a tad weak toward the last 10 minutes or so, but that still gives an hour of top-flight comedy/reality checks with some spectacular improv in the middle.

I love this jack ass!

Gumboo, btltez, Dudley Morris and 4 others like this.
  4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I don't think all of his material is comedy gold but when he's on, he's truly great. Haven't seen the new special yet.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  5. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Watched the new special, enjoyed it very much. For just over an hour he was pretty strong the entire time.

MortSahlFan and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. Now I know who my true friends are in this forum. :D

You could listen to music through two tin cans a string for all I care.

But if you're down with Bill Burr you're alright by me. (now where's the joint?) :D

MortSahlFan and btltez like this.
  7. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I think Rogan needs to quickly catch up, his last special looks kind of dated now :)
    Re-watched Bill's show yesterday for the second time, laughed even more.

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

My feeling on Bill Burr is he's a very funny person but his standup's not that great. He makes me laugh much more when he's rambling on his podcast.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Bill Burr is my latest YouTube obsession having exhausted the Carlin material.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I need to watch this one & the Chappelle one. The Jo Koy special from Hawaii was lackluster.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I'm hardly a comedy aficionado or expert. I've enjoyed my share of records over the years from the likes of Carlin, Hicks and others. Having seen Burr at MSG a couple of times, I was amazed watching him work an audience. When he gets into the zone, he has the ability to transform a large venue like MSG into a small club, where everyone there is quiet and hanging on his every word.

MortSahlFan and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. So I saw this a couple nights ago, and it may well be his best special IMHO - best that I've seen, anyway. Maybe performing in front of a foreign crowd pushed him a bit harder, but whatever the case he seemed to hit a particularly sustained groove this time out.

13. MortSahlFan

If you like Hicks and Carlin, you might love Mort Sahl, who influenced them (and probably everyone else, considering he revolutionized comedy).. Before him, you had burlesque and vaudeville.

14. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Vigorously is an adverb...

realkilroy and btltez like this.
  15. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Chappelle is the master, each special is at least as good as his last and he occasionally tops himself – Sticks & Stones is one of those.

Burr is a different cat...Walk Your Way Out wasn't nearly as strong as I've come to expect from him. Paper Tiger is a return to form, but he still hasn't been as wire-to-wire funny since I'm Sorry You Feel That Way. Still just "very good" Bill Burr is better than most of their peers.

Scott222C and rufus t firefly like this.
  16. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Louie CK Comes Again? LoL. Sorry.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Bill Burr is my Spirit Animal.

musicarus and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Brains in a Boston brogue is appropriate for Britain. He shoulda been (obviously) drinkin’ tea.

19. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I think the London audience was a mistake. Many of his references to American trends fell on confused ears. The crazy thing is I agree with a lot of his viewpoints but I really never laughed out loud. I guess his stand up just doesn't do it for me. Kind of a letdown.

20. MortSahlFan

I agree - I think he was too obsessed with playing where Led Zeppelin did. In ways, I thought maybe an English audience wouldn't be so "offended", so who knows how it would have been in the US. I heard him kinda second-guessing, but it seems like he's satisfied.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

According to an interview I saw, the best placed he played was Warsaw.

I've yet to watch it (hard to find the time, lately) but will eventually give it a go. He's a fantastic comedian, IMHO.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  22. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

IMO, he's our modern George Carlin. He nails important social issues, and does so in a funny way.

I could use a little less of the course language, though. I loved the part about her laying her ponytail in his hand. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. He nailed the issue politically/socially. I like that.

realkilroy, jwoverho and MortSahlFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.