Bill Evans - A Portrait In Jazz pressing identification

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ozzy Bernstein, Aug 21, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Bernstein

Ozzy Bernstein Active Member Thread Starter

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I recently found beautiful copy of A Portrait In Jazz for a heck of a deal. However, I'm having lots of trouble figuring out which pressing it is.

Nothing matches to Discogs. The label is the pre-'62 dark blue Microgroove Riverside label. However, unlike any of the early 60s pressings on Discogs which have the pressing plant etch as AB, mine has RI and a block "S", which matches the 1966 repress but obviously doesn't match the label.

Hoping someone can help me with this. Here's all of the info of my pressing:

Cat # on labels: RLP 12-315
    Runouts:
    S RI (numbers are completely invisible, if even there)
    S RI RLP 12-315-B1 (barely visible)

The sleeve has cat # RLP 12-315 on the rear top right, Riverside High Fidelity on rear top left. "Riverside 12-315" on front cover, bottom right.

Labels read Bill Grauer Productions Inc New York City, on bottom.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  2. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Check here:

Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz

They most likely used up old labels for the repress before changing over. A penny was not wasted by a record company back then! Also, yours is the mono, so there won’t be the noise problems that apparently plague the stereo.

I was just listening to my mono copy of Everybody Digs Bill Evans. Both records are fantastic!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  3. Ozzy Bernstein

Thanks. This is the one I mentioned matches. The labels do not match though. My labels are dark blue and the 60-65 Riverside format, not the post-65 torqouis label.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Yes, I added an explanation for the difference. There is no deep groove on your pressing? If so, it is indeed an MGM pressing using up old labels.

5. Ozzy Bernstein

Thank you! I didn't see the explanation. Very interesting though, I had no idea record labels did that. And I agree, the sound is fantastic!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.