Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lplover

lplover Forum Resident

That's a big ($$) box. Anybody know the release date?

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I wonder if there will be a gold CD or SACD version of this boxset? :angel:

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Anyone? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller... :biglaugh:

4. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Too bad they can't split this box up into a volume 1 and 2 to take the bite and sticker shock out of this. $600 - OUCH!

Plus, if they're pressed at Palas, like the Miles Davis box was, it's a 50/50 proposition for getting good vinyl using the recent Neil Young reissues as an example of the current state of vinyl coming out of Palas.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I didn't know they were having problems with their pressings. My Miles Davis set is perfect. Wonder why the drop in QC?

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I doubt it. Most of these albums except for New Jazz Conceptions were cut a long time ago, they were initially mostly in the first three runs of the Fantasy Jazz series. The SACDs only came out for the last Blue Note run.

Other than the Neil Young and new Flaming Lips, I have not read of any other issues with Pallas pressings.

7. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

My Miles box had three sides flawed out of the box (pic of 2 shown). Couldn't anyone with gloves on & in the packaging department seen this & dumped it in the bin???? There was no residue or vinyl debris in the sleeve.

The Neil Young box set has major issues with sonic flaws.

Bob

Attached Files:

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Ouch!

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

To set the record straight, some of the NY boxes have issues. Just as many don't.

And my Miles box was also perfect.

10. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

:realmad: That is awful. I hope they took care of your problem. Premium priced products should not have defects like that.

11. vintage_tube

Using the forum poll as a guide, it’s about 50/50. My NY box was perfect.

Yes, they did – quite respectfully and quickly too -- just a big disappointment upon unpacking and a small hassle.

12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

My NY box set was in the defective 50% side, since replaced and happy.

My John Coltrane - Crescent 45rpm on ORG was defective too, still waiting on the replacement LP (one good, one bad).

This whole scenario of paying top dollar for bad vinyl is getting old real fast. This year I'm going to take a wait and see attitude about new vinyl. :(

I'm very happy with my Music Matters 45rpm sub though. :D

13. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Ouch. $600!!!

But, still, this includes 'Waltz' and 'Sunday'. If Pallas doesn't screw the pooch on this one, then I can't see the set losing value over time. Quite the opposite, really.

And for those hoping this takes the price of the extant lps down, I'd think again. No sane person is going to break up a complete box set just to sell those two titles. Or, rather, not enough folks to alter the current supply/demand balance.

Perhaps I should start saving.....

14. vintage_tube

It is quite frustrating.

IMO, MM sets the standard for others to emulate.:righton:

I think I’ll start selling some stuff to work up my paypal account as ED accepts PP (the wife won’t see the outlay once the BE Box Set is available –ha):D.

15. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

This Box set along with the Miles Davis Box set are on my radar, however, I still have quite a few Music Matters LPs to catch up as well (no subscription yet). God it's raining quality vinyl and I can't find an umbrella big enough!

16. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident Thread Starter

well ... in fact, i would not be surprised if AS settled this price in considering it's what we will pay (at minimum 600$) to get waltz for debby and village vanguard.
    business - business

17. blue

blue Mastering rules

As mentioned very early a few times in this forum already, during the start of the Pallas hype, I also had some issues with their pressings.

I don't like their thinner (compared to RTI) 180g vinyl and had 2-3 issues with warped and noisy records. Didn't make a direct comparison, but in case Pallas used the old stampers, there might be sonic differences to the RTI issues, too.

18. blue

blue Mastering rules

yes correct...we will see what happens when many of the new box set buyers try to get rid of the remaining 9 LP's of the set because they have them already from the old RTI set.

I don't understand why they broke their kind of "limited edition promise" to issue such a box set, which many don't need anymore except for two records. Except for bussines reasons, as you mentioned :D

What about a later Blue Note box set with 65 LP's for those missing the few out of print titles? ;)

19. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

50$x11 + 50$ for the box/booklet( yeah maybe a little pricey but not nuts for the packaging) Im not sure why all the ooo's and ahh's that AS is gouging on this box? 50 bucks a piece is what these 45s were initially.

Now as far as the limited edition issue I have already stated I think its sheeety that AS basically lied about that cocerning the initial individual runs being a once thy are gone they r gone thing BUT the box imo is not really overpriced.

As far as the BN MM series being repressed? Aint happening Joe has absolutely stated.

20. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

The last thing I need to do is spend $600 or so on records in the near future, but there is no way I can pass this up.

21. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I completely agree. :realmad:

Very sheety thing to do to it's customers. If your going to press a million of these, then tell us before we scramble to get the "limited" releases. :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Well, one thing I have learned is that the biz side of the cd/lp world is about as trustworthy as Joe's used car lot . You know, the guy with the polyester pants and greenlime silkshirt w the buttons half undone? There are a few up and up guys but a whooooole lotta shell gamers too. Color me naive and too trusting but in the 4 yrs ive been here biz can really show its ugly side when it comes to entertainment and music it seems.

Caution in all and dont let your emotions and love of music play into the "game".

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Is there a link? I did not see this on the Acoustic Sounds website.

24. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

It was a response to an email asking the question.

25. Neta

Neta Forum Resident

lol @ collectors

if you were buying an audiophile reissue for any other reason than to have a high quality version to listen to, you have no legs to stand on. basically, you are mad that other people will have a chance to get good copies of some albums.