Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

...Or I was mad that I paid $150 *each* for two of the Miles Davis 45rpm titles directly from Acoustic Sounds because they told me it was the LAST CHANCE EVER and then a couple months later the Miles Davis box set came out with all five LPs for what I paid for two of them. Turns out it wasn't the last chance and I wasted $300 that I could have used on six other 45rpm titles. (And I did buy the Miles Davis box too.) They knew the box was coming out and still had the sack to increase the price of the remaining single titles. I'll be damned if I'll pay them the $75-$95 for a few others that are listed as "Limited Stock". They'll all show up in the classifieds here for $40 eventually.

If I had paid the $50 list price for each of those two titles, I wouldn't be aggravated. I'm personally glad that more people get to hear these great LPs but I'll still never recoup anywhere near what I overpaid for these two spare copies to make sure that I had these masterings. And they were more than happy to not tell me to wait a couple months...

SuperFuzz likes this.
  2. blue

blue Mastering rules

that's it. And they'll do it again.

3. Neta

Neta Forum Resident

ok, that is pretty lame. Not a good business practice. I thought they just sold them at $50 till they ran out and maybe sell a few test pressings at a higher price.

4. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident Thread Starter

u are right johnny, but i am too... their price is correct for 11 lps, BUT why 11 lps ???, to reach the 600$ that we would spend to get the waltz and village vanguard.
    they could do it with 5 items for miles davis because we used to pay roughly $150 for relaxing and cooking...

for me, the cost of the box will be $600 less "everybody digs BE, "portrait in jazz", "exploration", "moonbeam", and "know what i mean" that i'll have to sell back.
    i bought portrait and KWIM in Test pressing from AS at 150$ .... i tell u : BUSINESS

5. blue

blue Mastering rules

Just got the new 45RPM "New Jazz conceptions" (I've got all the others from RTI). It sounds really great, especially if one knows the original and the japanese pressing which are by far inferior. I couldn't imagine it get's such a sound with highs, dynamics and clean bass first time...great, and this time flawless Pallas pressing. I love these 45 RPM...

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Here's to hoping the entire box set is pressed at Pallas :)

7. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I paid a premium to buy the albums after they were out of print. I am glad they are repressing these in a different format. The more people that get this amazing music, the better.

8. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I will have to pass on this, sorry. $600 is just too much to spend in one shot. I can buy so much more vinyl with that money. I'll stick to the 180gram & SACD versions I have of these.

9. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

On the flip-side, I will be saving/cashing in birthday IOUs so that I can get this. I bought the Miles Davis boxset and was pleased at punch to get that chance as well as listening to incredible albums perhaps in the best way they have ever been reproduced.

I had contemplated buying some Evans albums but heard musings over a year ago about the boxset. I held off and I'm glad I did. $600 is a lot and as a Canadian this will be closer to $1k once it gets to my door (duties, taxes). It will be worth it to me though!

10. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Awesome...tax money is spent.

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I think we could probably coordinate, and make some group purchases here for people looking for specific titles to offset the high entry costs.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Where is this box set being pressed?

13. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

"New Jazz Conceptions" 45 was pressed at Pallas. I wouldn't think they would press the rest elsewhere, but you never know.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Where can I pre-order the boxset?

15. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

At AS -- $599.99 Limited to 1,500 copies. Available on 17 Mar '10

[​IMG]

Bob

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks Bob. Just saw the email. Wincing a bit a the price, but I suppose it will be the last time to ever get these at any kind of reasonable price.

17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

You never know. After all, many people subscribed to the Fantasy on 45 series thinking it would be the only shot at getting these tiles on 45RPM vinyl at a reasonable price.

18. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

In a way those who bought the Fantasy 45s did indeed get the only chance to get any single album at a reasonable price. Now, for those that want to fill out their collection or start it up (as in my case) one has to go for the box set OR may obscene prices on eBay (150-450 is not unheard of for a single album).

$600 is pricey to be sure, but the cost per album is pretty well the same, catch is dropping the coin all at once. That will be a tough hit for most.

19. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I love Bill Evans but wonder if this $600 box set is worth the money over the sacds or the 33 rpm AP version.

Usually I think the 45rpm is far better than sacds but here you are dealing with records that can often be very sparse and even a few ticks can be annoying.

I sold the everybody digs bill evans because I did not think it was worth the $80 I sold it for and sonically while excellent it was not mindblowing like other 45rpm reissues are. It had a few ticks too.

I have the 45rpm bill evans know what I mean with cannonball adderley and the interplay with jim hall but both of those have even fuller and dynamic sound because of the extra respective musician

bottom line it will go out of print and then be worth bucks but if you disregard the likely speculative benefit of owning/selling an out of print box set, do those that own the village vanguard or waltz for debby 45rpm believe its that much better than the AP 33 rpm or sacd version?

thoughts

20. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Hmmm, good questions. I would like to read some opinions of this as well.

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

With 1500 (AP claims) made I don't think it will be selling out quickly. There were less of the Miles Davis Great Prestige Recordings boxes and those are still readily available new.

22. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Agreed, this will not sell out for a long, long time. But those with the dough, have at it and enjoy. I can think of better ways to spend the money other than the 10000th reissue of the same title - like Cecil Taylor records :)

23. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

preordered mine this evening!

:)

Larry

24. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Hard to believe that they couldn't sell 750 Miles sets in a almost 2 years. I guess it depends on what 'limited' means.

Would love to have this new Bill E set, but man that is spendy. Think I'll have to pass.

25. tgwhiteh

tgwhiteh Forum Resident

I got my preorder in too. I missed most of the early single titles so this is a good way for me to catch up and I may be able to offload my duplicates for at least cost.

The price for the box is indeed tough to swallow, but looking at it as $55 an album plus the book makes it seem like a pretty great deal to me. Cheaper than the Miles box per title, and I can't imagine it ever going down much in value even if buyer's remorse sets in a few years down the road and I want to sell it. I agree that the 1500 will take a while to sell (twice as many as the Miles box) but the rate at which the single titles sold out indicates that there are a lot of audiophiles that love Bill Evans out there.