Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Distress is not what most people deal with; anger, arrogance, utter ruthless rudeness, and a sense of entitlement are regular occurrences.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Don't forget vulgarity!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i guess youre just not a real fan then

Mike H. likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am a passionate record collector. My library is four rooms, large rooms.

But I much prefer the company of music lovers to the company of record collectors.

5. Strat-Mangler

That would never be an excuse for acting in the way I described. I go out of my way to be unhelpful to anyone who has that sort of attitude. It's amazing what I can do or not do to fix or not fix someone's issue. ;)

Mazzy, this_machine and rob303 like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I guess that depends on whether you are being paid to be helpful.

7. Strat-Mangler

I'm paid to kill a queue or requests; that's different than being a punching bag for petty immature brats with an inability to communicate without resorting to unwarranted insults and/or attitude. Words like "passionate" are usually evoked by those who justify that behavior.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There is a store chain where I live where all employees are hired strictly on their ability to be helpful, polite and have good humour. I often wonder why other merchants do not hire on the same basis. The chain that uses that approach has been extremely successful.

9. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

And that was before Covid. Now poor average folks working in retail have to worry about being assaulted or even killed by deranged customers who are told no. I've worked retail. I empathize with retail workers and never mistreat them, because I know how awful it feels to be treated so poorly

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that's ridiculous and impossible.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not at all. Trader Joe's has an extremely loyal customer base in large part for its staff-customer relations. Countless people want to work there because of its positive vibes.

Many other chains almost seem to encourage grumpiness among its staff and it shows in how the customers react to the staff.

Mazzy and AnalogJ like this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Just noticed this thread. I’m playing Interplay now. What a great album. What a great set. My wife and I bought this in August 2011 when it was $600 and pressed at Pallas. Great stuff, from beginning to end. Can’t say I wouldn’t pay $900 for it though. That’s a stretch, but I guess that favors me at the point I start selling off my collection. It was worth every bit of $600 though, IMO.

AaronW, rob303, 4-2-7 and 1 other person like this.
  13. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I couldn't afford paying $600 for the boxset although I really really wanted it, back when it was released.
    By the time I was ready to buy, it had already been long sold out.

Not knowing if it would ever be repressed, I still placed a preorder hoping that it would eventually come back.
    Sure, the thought of a $600 charge hitting when I wasn't planning for it would make it a bit challenging that month, BUT I would be more "happy" than "upset" since it would mean that I would finally be able to own it.

If this set came out for the first time today at $900, would I buy it?

ABSOLUTELY.

14. TRS9082

TRS9082 Forum Resident

Noticed this $900 box set is number two on the box set best sellers list over the last 30 days on Acoustic Sounds. Take that for what it's worth, but it's some indication that the price jump hasn't stopped people from placing an order.

15. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

People are probably thinking the reissue is imminent due to the recent price jump so are doing as Chad says by “buy now or cry later”

this_machine likes this.
  16. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Also wonder how that list is generated/calculated. Is it based on total sales or units sold?

Arknine likes this.
  17. TRS9082

TRS9082 Forum Resident

Thats a good question. My assumption was that it was based on units sold, but totally feasible its by total dollar amount sold.

Mike H. likes this.
  18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm really itching for this set given there's been so many indications it's getting repressed. Just take my damn money already. :p

Mike H. likes this.
  19. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

i was itching for it but didn't preorder at the old price. now i am no longer itching for it haha

this_machine likes this.
  20. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Heard from Chad today, he told me 2022 for the box. Positive news!

21. In the recent YouTube conversation w Stroughton and the RTI guy hosted by Fremer he mentions the pain to produced these box sets and how people want this one. It didn’t seem like he was near going back to repress but obviously it’s on his mind

22. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Just letting people know what he told me.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Well, I just found this thread and have been reviewing the arguments in favor of and against the $900 price tag. I won't rehash them. Instead, I noticed that earlier in the thread, there was some discussion (maybe from @Greenmonster2420) that these were likely going to be repressed but that the Prestige series would not be. We now know that the Prestige set is getting a repress, so I wonder if there is some connection here suggesting a broader arrangement between AP and Craft?

24. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

im just holding out hope that maybe Craft does a 33 box version

bruinuclafan likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Anyone who doesn't have these recordings in some edition, any format, should get them (in any format, any edition).

Then you can enjoy the music, now.

captouch, RiRiIII and Bryce like this.