Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I think a Monk box is doubtful. The original Stan Ricker version from ten years ago hasn't sold out yet.

2. blue

blue Mastering rules

Yes I think so...if they really should come out with other boxes like Rollins, Monk etc. again, I guess they will sell maybe a few hundred and the rest will be available for the next 20 years...I would prefer a new set of Fantasy reissues :righton:

Maybe it doesn't hurt so much, if a repress doesn't sell out at all...proably the license is still there, also the cover basics etc. and it means only production costs, which are back with a few hundred sales....couldn't explain otherwise, even for the new Miles and Evans box sets...but maybe I'm totally wrong with my assumtions.

Especially the Monk is very valuable as 45RPM IMO due to the dynamics and the loud drum set/cymbal and horn parts at the tenor sessions...the cleaner top end of the 45RPM makes very much sence here, the mastering is better than Ricker's anyway.

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I see this box set is shipping next week. Anyone anxiously waiting on this one?

4. blue

blue Mastering rules

I'm just happy that they decided to sell the new "jazz conceptions" 45RPM as a single album for those who have the rest as RTI issues. That was fair.

5. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Me :righton:

6. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Is this box set a re-print of the Top Jazz 100 45 RPM Series that was mastered by Steve and Kevin?

Anybody knows if the individual LPs are numbered too or only the box?

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think we're all assuming that's the case. Nothing was said in the ad except for the AcousTech logo and since these are being pressed in Germany I assume that indicates they were mastered at AcousTech.

8. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I have 4 of the 45 RPM LPs from the set and $599 is a lot to get the set to complete my collection based on "assuming".

9. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I haven't bought New Jazz Conceptions, although I do have all the Fantasy 45s except for How My Heart Sings! and Everybody Digs Bill Evans. I will not be springing for this boxset.

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I really think they should have broken this up into two box's. Their sales would probably be much better. Who's gonna spend $600 to pick up a few missing titles :confused:

11. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Yep, $600.00 is a good chunk of change. If I had zero titles, I would certainly give it some serious consideration.

12. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I'm missing the big ones, i.e., Sunday, Waltz and Moonbeams; and $600 is still a stretch.

13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

According to Music Direct it's Kevin Gray.
    I could not find this info on Acoustic Sounds website.
    I thought that strange, as they are the source for this box, right?

14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I would love a Sonny Rollins boxset. I'd snap that up in a heartbeat!! That would be really great as I missed many of his 45rpms. Not holding my breath. The Miles box is still available and only 750 were pressed. This Bill Evans box is double the price and 1500 are being pressed. I wish them well with the sales on this one.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Uh, Yeah, right. You asked AP's direct competitor? Geez, I'm surprised they didn't say that Ed Feinblatt, Jr. mastered it.

16. blue

blue Mastering rules

Doesn't this boxset have the very same mastering and cutting as the previous RTI issues? They are just pressed at another plant...that's all...

17. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

That's what I was trying to find out in my post!

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Of course its the KG/SH mastering. They did not go back in and remaster it again under a new engineer for this box set.

19. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Misread post

20. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I heart ed feinblatt

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'll pick one up eventually, but not this month. Too much new music for me in February.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I did not ask Music Direct, it is posted on their listing page of this item.
    I do not have any of these LP's and was looking for more information on this release.

23. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

:sigh:

Honest, I'm chuckling on the inside!

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The world may never know. If only someone who knows would answer us. ;) I'm gonna send up smoke signals next. Maybe that'll get a response. :D

25. tikkenator

tikkenator Forum Resident

Just pulled the trigger. Can't wait to receive my set!