Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. blue

blue Mastering rules

Take Steve's "Ed Feinblatt Jr." post as a "yes" regarding mastering! Why and how should it be any different?

The only thing I'm not sure is, if they used the existing tools for Pallas, or if a new cutting had to be done...so if switching the pressing plant means making new pressing tools...

2. tgwhiteh

tgwhiteh Forum Resident

Looks like mine shipped Friday, so I should have it Tuesday. Really looking forward to this one!

3. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Hello,

Box set number 25/1500 arrived at my door this morning.
    I haven't listened yet, but I noticed the glossy covers are nice, and an improvement over the AP100 series covers...

Larry

4. #29 safe

Well packed

I will listen as time allows Wednesday night.

5. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Indeed!
    On the outside of the sealed box set package is an insert that reads:
    "To protect against seam splits,
    we've packaged your LPs
    with the jacket spines facing
    inward. Also, to protect your
    booklet cover from being
    scratched, we've wrapped it
    in paper."

...and the booklet features a photograph of our host Steve holding some Bill Evans master tape reels!

Larry

6. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

So you are saying that these 45 RPM LPs are re-prints of the Top 100 Jazz Fantasy series mastered by Steve and Kevin?

7. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Can someone please look at the deadwax info for this poor guy. KG/SH??

8. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

I haven't checked all of them...
    but the "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" has "KG & SH @ ATM" and the others (I checked) have some variation of that etched into the deadwax...

Larry

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Word. :wave:

10. I never understood the panic over mastering, Steve's never been shy to shout, "NOT MINE!!" before.

KAG/ SH in deadwax of "Waltz for Debbie"

And Music Matters must have influenced Chad to seek improvement in both packaging and graphics. VERY nice covers.

11. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Flat and quiet?

12. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure out what exactly does this mean...

Seam splits usually occur because of two main reasons:

- Weak cardboard to start with, usually not thick enough.

- Sleeve not tight enough, there is too much space allowing the record to bounce in some or all directions, inside the sleeve.

So... how does it make it better to change the orientation of the sleeve?

This is a box. Why don't they simply remove the records from the sleeves, all inside the sealed big box?

I remember the Metallica 4xLP 45rpm releases did that... it's really very simple and 100% guaranteed to work.

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

My Doors box came with the vinyl removed from the sleeves...

14. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Isn't the purpose of an LP cover to protect the disc it contains?
    If so, it would seem very silly to ship records outside their covers...

15. SergioRZ

Sure, it's much smarter to have the covers destroyed during shipping with split seams... :shake:

What are you talking about? :confused:

Of course LP covers are used to hold and protect records, mostly when they are stored. For shipping purposes, with good packaging, they serve no purpose at all... except to be damaged.

16. Debbie was flat and quite......mostly the way I like my women. :shh: :winkgrin:

And I did not get a sheet of explanation, but all the covers were intact inside a nice box. Music Matters has nothing to fear, these are about 10% the quality of theirs, but 75% better than AP's other Blue Note covers

bhasenstab likes this.
  17. tgwhiteh

tgwhiteh Forum Resident

The Evans box is open on one side where the albums slide out. So, before sealing, the albums have been turned with the sleeve openings facing the open side of the box. Thus, the other three sides of the sleeve are protected by the hard sides of the box.

18. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

Some of you guys are So sensitive to seam splits. A nice mfsl inner cover is less than a dollar. Shipping outside the outer covers adds risk. The lp is very fragile so I say protect it and I can pay for extra inner cover

19. SergioRZ

Thanks for the details :righton:

20. SergioRZ

My main problem is with the outer covers, not the inner sleeves.

I've never seen a damaged LP record because of it being shipped outside of the cover. On the other hand, I've seen dozens of split seams on LP covers, that could have been easily avoided.

Anything strong enough to inflict damage to vinyl through the thick cardboard of a proper LP mailer will definitely not be stopped by a normal LP outer cover.

And of course I'm talking about shipping the vinyl INSIDE a sleeve, but outside of the cover. It's not like putting the vinyl inside the package "as is"...

21. blue

blue Mastering rules

what exactly do you like flat at your women? Guess it's the positioning ;)

22. :righton:

23. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Totally agree on all counts. I've bought the same album 2 or 3 times before to get a copy without a seam split on one side or another of the outer cover. I always ask that sellers ship the vinyl/innerleeve outside the cover for me and have never had a damage issue with LPs shipped this way.

24. lplover

lplover Forum Resident

Received mine today (#43) and all things considered and IMO this is the finest product that AP has offered to date.......highly recommended :D

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anyone know if different pressing equipment is used on this box set?