Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. A snowball stands a better chance in hell than Craft reissuing all 11 of these albums in one Riverside anniversary series (that hasn't even been announced). 2-3, maybe, but all 11? Not going to happen outside of a box set. Your best bet is
    '80s OJCs, but these 45s blow them out of the water IMO.

dman23 and Bigdz68 like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

A little shout out to Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, then, eh?

3. Most definitely. It all comes together in this series. Phenomenal music, first and foremost. Impeccable recordings (mostly). Top notch masterings. Cut from the master tapes at 45 rpm. Great pressings. This is the crème de la crème

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I still prefer the MoFi of SATTV for the reasons previously mentioned, but overall, I'm sort of jealous as I can't afford to go for it right now.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  5. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

Has anyone actually started requesting replacements yet? I'm only 3 LPs in and have an audible scratch on WfD. AS is normally very very cool about this, but I have to wonder if they're going to be overwhelmed.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  6. RI79

RI79 Well-Known Member

Decided to go disc by disc to clean, QA, and listen to this set. Sounds great for the most part. Not as quiet as the new 45rpm KOB, which is outstanding in all regards. The first sleeve (New Conceptions) has some scratches, which are really visible in the glossy cover. I can live with a the slight warp in disc 2. Everybody Digs features two significantly warped discs and an odd patch of scratches on side 4. Really hoping quality improves as I make my way through. Again, sound is very good, but QA is poor. I’m disappointed that I have to do the QA on a box set that cost nearly $1,000 all in. That said, I expect AS will replace defective materials. Will update when I’ve made my way through the whole set.

Dmann201 and AnalogJ like this.
  7. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I think you mis-understood what I was saying, that the Bill Evans box will likely be worth more money than $900 in 15 years. I was trying to help be an enabler for music lovers.

8. That’s unfortunate. I’m 6 discs in and nearly perfection. No, the noise floor is not as low as the KoB UHQR 45, but I didn’t really expect that to be the case. I find the Clarity formula to bring a noticeably lower noise floor in my system. Same with Super Vinyl.

dman23 likes this.
  9. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Yes and I’m picky. I inspected each disc carefully. After reading others are having issues I’m feeling really lucky. Especially considering RTI is a toss up these days.

this_machine and bjlefebvre like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Curious as to how you guys are storing each of the records. Are you sleeving each of the jackets and storing outside the box, or storing sleeveless inside the box? I use the dual pocket sleeves from VSS but getting both records inside the outer pocket is a bit tight and friction is a concern. I may have to resort to some leftover Sleeve City outers for these, although I'm tempted just to keep them sleeveless in the box.

11. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I’m keeping them in the box, which is my typical M.O.

dman23 and timzigs like this.
  12. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the last album in the box. I've said it before, but I don't understand the general indifference to Interplay. I quite like that album. It's fun just to hear Freddy Hubbard use a hot jazz horn lick to open a Bill Evans record. And the title track is to me pretty mesmerizing. I dig it.

To echo others and myself, the sound quality in this set is fantastic. If you've got the funds to spare and Evans is an artist you feel you will go back to over the years, this is something you seriously need to consider. It's pretty much the definitive collection of his Riverside output.

Checking my notes, this is the final score after 22 sides: Three "slight" warps that DNAP and I don't feel the need to fix; four warps that took a trip to the Vinyl Flat (one on How My Heart Sings would have earned a replacement if I didn't have the VF); one ~four-revolution patch of a soft ticks on "Peace Piece"; ~four revolutions of loud ticks at the very end of Moonbeams. I'm actually more annoyed at the ticks on "Peace Piece," given that's a song that sucks you in and the ticks ruin the experience. I'll probably seek a replacement for that.

dman23, Dmann201, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  13. bjlefebvre

Keeping them in the box as is.

A nice advantage is that Discogs counts this box set as only one album, so I feel like my record collection is still under control.

14. Mine go out of the box and onto the shelf in resealable outers. The box goes into storage.

I find LPs difficult to remove from a box that has been inserted onto a shelf, so I rarely keep such boxes on the shelf. Clamshell style boxes, or really any boxes with several records with just inner sleeves inside stay on the shelf. If each record gets its own jacket, I pull the jackets out and the box goes into a tote in the basement. The exception for me currently is the Beatles mono box, but I contemplate doing the same there. I find I just listen to the records far less when I have to pull the whole box off the shelf to get a single record out.

BreakBeat DJ, PATB and timzigs like this.
  15. bjlefebvre

I may put the individual titles in outers. This box is really tight, as I just remembered now that all the jackets are back in it. I have to bow one of the sides to get enough room to pull a jacket out. Seems to be ripe for a rip, so outers may get the nod here. We'll see.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  16. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I put each jacket in a VSS dual-pocket outer sleeve and then put both discs in the other pocket. I store the records on the shelf, individually sorted by recording date.

captouch and timzigs like this.
  17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

With boxes like these, i will usually take the albums i know ill play a lot and sleeve them using a VSS dual pocket sleeve. Ones i know will get rarely played ill put back in the box and on a separate shelf

BreakBeat DJ, bjlefebvre and timzigs like this.
  18. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Yeah I tried doing the VSS on these double LPs from AP in the past and it doesn’t work well for me. The sleeves end up getting crushed and fitting two records in the other pocket seems risky. And most important it takes up way too much space on my shelves. Not sure what I’m going to do with these yet.

gabbleratchet7 and timzigs like this.
  19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Thanks, but I don't think that'll work in this instance :)

BreakBeat DJ and Swordsandchains like this.
  20. Swordsandchains

my trick for these thicker single pocket sleeves for 2’records is i take a cardboard filler pad and cut it it to fit inside the jacket. Never gets crushed. Ive also used his 13” oversized sleeves doing the same before, thats what i have on my AP NKC 45s

Fractured, ETSEQ and bruinuclafan like this.
  21. Swordsandchains

understandable, with my Chet Baker box, the only lp back in the box is the outtakes one that i dont think ive ever played

22. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I leave out one of the 11 albums so the fit isn’t so tight and I can pull out the 10 that are still in there. At times, I’ve left two out to make it even easier, but 1 out allows the ones that are in there to still support each other with no lean.

If I had the room, I might VSS double pocket all of them, but I don’t have the shelf room. The albums in the pic are supported on one side by the side of a Kallax and on the right by albums stored perpendicular to those shown, all sitting on an unused subwoofer.

Yeah, I’m very short on record storage.

[​IMG]

audiotom, Aura, bjlefebvre and 4 others like this.
  23. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I've done the same with the Ornette TP box. Allows you to sleeve them and keep what'll fit in the box. I'd prefer to file with the rest of my collection, but I'm completely out of shelf space at this point. Time to upgrade from a pair of 3x3 to 4x4 cubes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    bruinuclafan and captouch like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

First off I own the red box set from the 90s and not this.
    I agree about your first point that Interplay is under appreciated. It is a fine album imo.
    Shame about Peace, Piece. Yeah that track definitely needs a quiet surface.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  25. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I’m completely out of shelf space too.

I’ve had to find creative places to store my records. These are the other ones stored on top of my subwoofer - the Beatles stereo box set makes a decent bookend.

[​IMG]

And these are stored between my speaker and the side of a couch:

[​IMG]

And these are stored in a crevice between the back side of the subwoofer and an end table:

[​IMG]

None of this is ideal. I have my more valuable records stored within the Kallax.

I also have a cedar chest filled with records as well. This situation should only be this bad for another year or so. Should be moving back to a bigger place then, then will get a bigger or more Kallax’s and store them properly.

bjlefebvre and PATB like this.