Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I was very surprised at just how quiet these disc were. After a trip through my UCM there was no noise even listening at a slightly louder volume than normal. The background from the LPs was BLACK. The thing I found interesting was on several tracks you went from black to hearing slight tape hiss which went away when the song faded out. It wasn't really audible while the music was playing. It was individual tracks on certain LPs. Not the whole LP just a random song. Whatever vinyl compound RTI used to press these discs, it seems to be able to be as quiet as the KOB 45 RPM UHQR.

2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I was thinking as I got up this morning and started replaying my favorite albums from this amazing Bill Evans box set: What a wonderful two weeks for lovers of audiophile Jazz pressings on vinyl.
    • Mile Davis Kind of Blue 45 RPM UHQR
    • John Coltrane - 65 Anniversary Mono and Stereo Tone Poet releases of Blue Train
    • Bill Evans Riverside Box set.
    Not to mention the "usual" Blue Note Tone Poets and the Classic Series, the Verve Acoustic Sounds Series, the Contemporary Records Acoustic Sounds Series, the upcoming Candid reissue Series and many more. Such an embarrassment of riches.

Switching genres, in about a month we will have the Beatles Revolver reissue.

Wow!! Such a great time to be into vinyl.

dman23, AnalogJ, MonkeyTennis and 6 others like this.
  3. I often listen through headphones (young baby at home), so my perspective may be a bit different. I have yet to find a standard LP that matches the potential of Clarity or SuperVinyl. YMMV.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  4. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member

Happened the same to me, it says shipped now, looking forward to receiving it!

Dignan2000 likes this.
  5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I hear where you are coming from. I rarely listen through headphones these days because I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone. Plus I spend enough time in headphones when I am on the go. I don't really want to listen to them at home when I don't have to. I do not doubt the Clarity or SuperVinyl may indeed be quieter through headphones. But through my speakers, from my listening position, at a level of 80 db (c-weighted) all three vinyl formulations are below the noise threshold of my system/speakers. If I bring my ear right up to the mid, or tweeter I can hear some noise. This tells me the noise would seem even more apparent in headphones.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  6. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member

Very good point... in 15 years from now I may need to trade it for blue pills :laugh:

jfeldt and Swordsandchains like this.
  7. RI79

RI79 Active Member

Looking for some feedback as I continue to make my way through the box set. I’ve listened to the first six discs and am on Moon Beams now. I’ve been taking notes on quality because I noticed quality issues from the first disc: scratched cover, warped vinyl. The thing is, every disc is slightly convex, like a bowl. So one side will rest flat (for the most part) on the platter, and the other side will be raised off the platter, bowed upwards at the edges. The sides that are raised have the most noticeable effect of being warped, a wobbling effect in the worst examples.

My question is, is this acceptable? At this point, there are three discs where the warping is definitely unacceptable, in my opinion. But should every disc have this level of warping, at this price point? Should I request an entirely new set or only request replacements for the most egregiously warped records? I want to be reasonable.

Again, there are other issues, like light scratches, scuffs, a dimple in the vinyl in one spot that doesn’t track well, etc. but the warping is endemic.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

8. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

its $900, it should absolutely be a perfect set, full stop.

9. RI79

RI79 Active Member

Given the extent of warping and other less significant issues, I wonder what the chances that another box would be much better. Seems like the warping is so widespread. The second disc of Moon Beams is the first fully flat disc I’ve encountered.

10. Swordsandchains

that’s the biggest issue I’ve had with RTI all year, warps

11. RI79

RI79 Active Member

When I heard this was pressed at RTI, I was a bit hesitant.

Intricate and Swordsandchains like this.
  12. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Explain the situation to AS, and politely ask them for a completely new boxset. Hopefully, AS will let you pick and choose between the two boxsets. Because you are noting them here, the defects will ruin your enjoyment of the boxset in the long run. I am sure AS would understand given the cost of the boxset.

From the reports here, there are relatively defect-free boxsets out there, so I would just ask for a replacement boxset. Yours is hopefully just as an anomaly.

13. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I emailed AP during lunch break to tell them about the two noisy sides I have. They're doing the UHQR method - I'm to send them photos of the destroyed records in question and they'll send replacements. Time to get the power drill out!

14. Swordsandchains

Man they’re feisty lately

15. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

This is the new normal I guess. When I bought the QRP-pressed set toward the end of 2018, I had to get replacements for some of the discs (deep scratches, embedded metallic looking chips - all clearly audible). I offered to send back the defective ones so they wouldn’t think I was making invalid claims and trying to get doubles (plus I thought they might want to do some defect analysis), but they were completely uninterested in my offer.

I ended up selling the defective discs for cheap so others could enjoy samples of the set, which is what I guess they’d like to avoid happening now.

Seems like a waste though.

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Spinning Interplay, damn what a great album. I should obviously be more familiar with this and have heard it but the presentation here is just fantastic!

17. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

I’m thoroughly enjoying making my way through the set. I’ll have at least 3 discs to replace. Pressings sound good but lots of dirt and some scratching on my set alongside at least one bowl warp on Waltz :hide:

PATB and bruinuclafan like this.
  18. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Boy I must have somebody up there looking out for me, because as I posted upthread: My box set was PERFECT. No damage to the box or any of the album jackets. The records were clean and unscratched coming out of the box. After a run through my UCM, they were dead quiet. They were also dead flat, no warps or cup warps. Incredibly this is the most perfect box set I have ever purchased and considering the amount of LPs in it, I am amazed. This is my new favorite jazz box set and it is tied with my Beatles Mono Box for my favorite box set.

I am so sorry for the folks here who are having issues. @RI79 : The degree of problems you are having is totally unacceptable. Totally! I would do as others have suggested and have a polite but firm talk with Acoustic Sounds. IMHO from what you describe here, it almost sounds like they should replace the whole set.

Good luck to those who have problems with your boxes. I hope they can get resolved to your satisfaction.

19. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

I am in the same boat, except for one record with a very slight edge warp. I consider us lucky.

20. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

Same, Everything is nearly perfect. I have one side that has some issues out of the 22 sides. Feeling lucky.

As others have reported, the sound is fantastic. I have some SMJs and OJCs (70s & 80s) of most of these records in various conditions. Also, I have the Portrait in Jazz One-Step and ERC. This box set is a joy and the older reissues will see the tt less.

I think the sound quality improvement that sticks out most to me is on the live albums. I've been listening to Sunday and Waltz forever, but have never heard the room the way I do in these editions. 45? mastering? I don't know, but there's a small room tail that I can hear I haven't really noticed before. It makes the experience of the tunes more immediate to me, everything feels more organic.

Hope all you who have some prob disks get that sorted. It's worth the effort.

PS (Lafaro) - At my piano lesson this week, we were discussing the new Riverside box. I have played some of these tunes before, but there are a few I'd like to tackle. My teacher, who is retired from a university specializing in jazz, said that Lafaro's bass survived the crash that killed him. It was restored and up until recently, I assume, it was owned and kept in a bass shop in Manhattan. Years ago, my teacher went with a bass player and they were allowed to play Lafaro's bass and jam a bit. He said it was pretty amazing, and has stuck with him all these years. Not sure where that bass is now.

21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

In my box Everybody Digs Bill Evans has an edge warp that makes a sound through about a minute into the side. I'm waiting to get through the whole set to contact AP. Hopefully that's the only one.

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It must be in an archive now.

jfeldt, PATB and BreakBeat DJ like this.
  23. RI79

RI79 Active Member

I hope to complete my review of the box set tomorrow. I’ve got three albums to go. I did reach out to Acoustic Sounds yesterday. They promptly responded and asked me to destroy and photograph the destroyed records before replacements would be sent. I offered to send detailed notes on the issues with each disc as well as pictures and video. This has taken me a long time to do, but I’m happy to do it if the result is a good quality product in the end. I asked that they send me the replacements first so that I may choose between the best of each copy, assuming (I think fairly) that the extent of warping in my box (and mild scratches and scuffs, etc.) may be indicative of endemic problems, and therefore the replacements may be better or not. I worry that no one will QA the replacements since apparently little to no QA check was done on what I received. Haven’t heard back from them yet. I’ll chase them after I’ve gotten through the rest of the discs. In the end, I’m sure this will all get worked out, but I’ll update this thread until it does. Thanks, all.

Bill_H, PATB, formu_la and 1 other person like this.
  24. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Make sure to remind them that you "have read in the Hoffman forum that some members are getting perfect sets, so you are hoping to get the same" ;).

In any event, I am 100% sure AS will correct the issues to your satisfaction. The main thing that is keeping me from buying is not possible quality issues or the cost, but the idea that AS itself is engaging in secondary market pricing (IMHO). But I am weak and the fact that I hang around in this thread tells me that I will push that buy button before Christmas :oops:. So I hope the boxset is gone before then.

25. Swordsandchains

hey chad said these are all nearly claimed already, so probably wont make it to christmas. Buy now now now!!! ;)

PATB likes this.