Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

You all are making me jealous with these perfect or near-perfect boxes. I’m now going to need replacements on at least 4 discs and I still have 4 albums to go! The vast majority of my pressings are flat and the vinyl is quiet, but I’m getting an inordinate number of visibly and audibly scratched sides. I’m also wavering on requesting a replacement for a disc with a partial label.

2. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Weird question but on some of these records I hear this soft but distinct squeaking noise in the background. Is that a pressing defect, a squeaky hi-hat stand, or maybe something wrong with my equipment?

I feel your pain @this_machine i’m in the same boat, though almost none of mine are flat. Most have center warps which is ever weirder…

this_machine likes this.
  3. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

if you get replacements and somehow don't have to destroy the discs when getting replacements....please let me know. i'd be down to potentially buy some of them from ya if they aren't too bad ;)

bruinuclafan and this_machine like this.
  4. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

kevin gray said today in an interview that he actually recut 4 of the albums from this box set and chad didn't tell anybody that in the promotional videos haha. would be curious to know which ones and if that may mean that some breakouts might happen?

5. bruinuclafan

I think seeing these posts is probably why they make us destroy them now!

6. this_machine

Which tracks are you hearing this on? Nothing has jumped out to me as squeaky. Maybe don’t tell me—a squeaky stand or chair is one of those things you can’t unhear.

7. bruinuclafan

I’ll just say most recently it was on the first disc of Interplay. Did a little googling and found something called chip squeal and the description seems kind of similar but if others aren’t hearing it that is probably not it: "Chip Squeal" And Three Other Vinyl Record Abnormalities

Fractured, Mike H. and this_machine like this.
  8. this_machine

Hmm, I haven’t gotten to Interplay yet, but I’ll listen for it.

bruinuclafan and Mike H. like this.
  9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Wow, that’s sorta sneaky big news! I have no problem with it. I’d like to know which ones. Do I have to keep my old How My Heart Sings 45rpm now, lol?

Mike H. likes this.
  10. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I actually don’t mind a few anomalies like that. The chair/floor squeak in Flamenco Sketches from KOB comes to mind. While I can see how it might distract some, I see it as a little glimpse into what was happening during that April 1959 session at 30th street studio.

bjlefebvre and Mike H. like this.
  11. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing...660 tops, then I gave a second thought, I love Bill Evans, probably there won't be another release soon, I'll have to pay more, my wife also was supportive, etc etc, so I popped one, I've just received the box today, so far I found 3 jackets with some smash in one of the corners, minor, but I can see them.... will do washing and record QC tomorrow.... really looking forward to hearing them!

Jim0830 likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

In my opinion, the set is overpriced in an absolute sense. Even with the current $60 45rpm reissues, you're getting gatefold Stoughton Press produced covers. AP used single pocket openings for this set, correct? So aside from the box, there's nothing really fancy going on that warrants the current $900 retail price.

That being said, $900 is what Chad is charging, and if I hadn't needed to buy a new amp and speakers this year, I might have gone for it myself. In the very long run, for all the joy of listening, the extra ~$250 would be absorbed.

Bill_H, marcb and Mike H. like this.
  13. bruinuclafan

Don't let it distract you from the music though. I'm loving the music. I've was on a Jim Hall kick before getting this box set.

Dignan2000 and Mike H. like this.
  14. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Hmm he recut 4 which means he had the master tape to 4 of these. I highly doubt Craft would casually send these out for a recut that wasn't really needed, unless of course he already had those them in his possession due to a 33rpm AAA Craft series.
    I'm drunk and can't explain myself I mean I can't imagine Craft sending out the mastertapes for just this recut but I can imagine them okay-ing the recut if he already was already cutting it for another project

Swordsandchains likes this.
  15. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Those who own this new set should be able to ferret out the 4 new ones because they won't have @ATM in the deadwax. If you look at the 2017 set, it has all the deadwax info:
    Bill Evans - Riverside Recordings

If he really did recut 4 albums, they should have @CA instead of @ATM in the deadwax.

Any new set owners want to peruse their deadwax and let us know which albums were recut? :cool:

ETSEQ, Mike H. and bruinuclafan like this.
  16. bruinuclafan

I can eliminate New Jazz Conceptions, At Shelly's Manne-Hole, and How My Heart Sings! All @ATM.

ETSEQ, Mike H. and captouch like this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I paid $540 with free shipping (10% off code) from ElusiveDisc a long time ago, Pallas pressings where I did have to get a handful of the LPs replaced but overall great. I sold a ton of my vinyl that I no longer listened to, but I kept one of these boxes (strangely years later I got a second copy of the box after buying a friend's collection, one copy of the box was fine with me). It's one of the greatest vinyl reissues in terms of sound quality and quality of music. I've been buying the good XRCDs for the discs that I've been missing and these sound excellent but these double 45s very obviously sound better. This is one of the best things that SH ever mastered. I had a couple of 33 rpm audiophile reissues and several of as original or very early pressings, and I'd rather have the XRCDs or clearly these double 45s over them.

I feel a bit spoiled with classical as my favorite genre, $100-200 are for the very best seats and only at the major orchestras (NYPO, Boston). Otherwise I probably average $20-40 for concert tickets and most venues designed with classical in mind at the worst have average sound in the "not good" seats. And for things like piano recitals, which are less popular than symphony music that ~ $30 can you really outstanding seats.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  18. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

I’m kind of wondering if Chad is going to do a break out or something of 4 titles for $80 a piece or whatever Chad decides to charge now. KG said Chad had him recut them, so it’s not part of a series that doesn’t involve Chad. KG said he did it a few months ago. Also could be a copy tape as Chad doesn’t always cut from master tapes only.

19. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I'm with you. I don't mind room noise at all. I actually kind of like it.

UPDATE:
    KG @ CA spotted on:

New Jazz Conceptions
    Everyone Likes Bill Evans
    Portrait In Jazz
    Live At Shelly's Manne-Hole

I'll update Discogs today. Drab, rainy day in DC, so a nice indoors project.

RI79, Jim0830, Echoes Myron and 5 others like this.
  20. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Ok, now we need volunteers willing to buy two versions of the box set to do a comparison. Anyone interested? ;)

captouch likes this.
  21. bjlefebvre

Huh. I wonder if Kevin Gray just did selected sides? I'm seeing KG & SH @ ATM on Side 4 of Portrait But KG@CA on Side 3 of same.

AnalogJ, this_machine and Mike H. like this.
  22. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

In the comments to his YouTube video announcing that the set was shipping, someone asked this. Chad commented to say that there were no plans to split up the set.

dman23, Mike H. and bjlefebvre like this.
  23. Any notable difference in SQ?

24. bjlefebvre

So here's the breakdown for Portrait, just as an example:

1: AJAZ-1162-45-a12e1 / KG & SH @ ATM 18585.1(3)
    2: AJAZ-1162-45-b3 KA@CA
    3: AJAZ-1162-45 CRE1 / KG & SH @ ATM / 18616,3(3)...
    4: AJAZ- 1162 (45) D / KG@CA / 40146.4(3)

25. bjlefebvre

I'll have to take a listen again to judge the specific sides. I do remember Portrait and EDBE as sounding particularly good, even with the latter album's baked-in distortion. But I have to check if there were any sides that sounded better than others. Of course, now I have to worry about confirmation bias....

And I was completely off about KG@CA being on New Jazz Conceptions and Shelly's. I was in a room with bad lighting and those "ATM"s are sometimes really small. Wish I could edit that post - its ATM on all four on each. My bad.

Heck, I'll just try to email the parties involved and see if they'll say. Better that than my spreading bad info around.

Mike H., AnalogJ and bruinuclafan like this.