Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring - Craft 45 rpm LP, and SoTA digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Swordsandchains, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Bill, it may be a Craft exclusive. You may have no choice but to buy it from them.

CBackley and Bill Mac like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You could very well be right Simon. I was holding out hope that like the 2022 Craft CD and LPs the SACD would also be available at other vendors.

Simon A likes this.
  3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Hope has forsaken these lands. Craft has the SACD.

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

:p

5. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

I did see the regular Craft CD for this at Bull Moose in Salem NH. I'm still holding out for the SACD though as this is a favorite album of mine! Does look like it's exclusive to Craft though.

6. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Based upon you experience, I did the same thing on Amazon. Craft recording. For me it was $28. Arrived yesterday. Looks and sounds brand new to me. Likely folks get it and either record it or didn’t realize it was 45rpm, no idea but it’s in pristine condition. This has always been one of, if not my favorite Bill Evans recordings. This pressing is stunning. Thank you.

Simon A likes this.
  7. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Congrats! Enjoy that beautiful album.

kt66brooklyn and Zafu like this.
  8. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I reported on this in an Ortofon thread, but never got around to doing it here.

My distortion problem with this record was not phono overload - it was tracking force. When I bumped up from the recommended 1.6 grams to 1.8, most of the distortion disappeared. At 2.0, it was pretty much gone. My old Acos Lustre tonearm seems to need some help on this record. Surprisingly, this fix really didn't help at all on the few other records that I have with similar types of distortion. I think that I can write those off as pressing/mastering issues.

9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Really enjoying this album on SACD. Top-notch Bill Evans. Wonderful ensemble play. Great sound.

jfeldt, AL01, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  10. CBackley

When did you get the SACD?!

11. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

It appears to have come back in stock a few weeks ago.

12. Rob Hughes

Shipped a couple days ago from Craft.
    Arrived in USPS mail last night!
    (together with other SACDs: Ornette Coleman's first two, Art Pepper Plus Eleven, and Barney Kessel's Poll Winners).

George P, Dignan2000 and Simon A like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Anyone that has the original JSACD compared it to the Craft SACD?

14. Just finished my first listening of the Craft 2 x 45RPM. I bought this back in July and never got around to playing it. Cool and rainy day here in Toronto.. just seemed like a fitting day to listen. I have an RCM but did not clean this one, even though I saw some paper dust.

All 4 sides flat, centered and quiet.
    Superb sonics and obviously a well recorded session to start with.
    I have to give special mention: I was thinking why cut a single 6 minute song on side 4. But I'm happy to report it sounds glorious. AND the best part...I was expecting to see a LOT of deadwax on that last side but Kevin cut this so well and he took up the whole damn side.

I use an Ortofon 2M Black which in the greater scheme of things tends to lean towards the revealing so I think, for the money, I am able to resolve most of what's in them grooves.

Regarding the QC issues, I noticed my copy was shelved at my local in early June if the price sticker is right. So likely first shipment.

I can't help but think that records in general do not get any love when bought from the 3rd party vendors like the A'zon's of the world. Maybe higher rejection rates from 3rd party vendors are due to all the travel in the heat (especially down south), poor shipping & storage practices (heat, humidity, etc) and handling, etc.

Maybe this is one hidden perk of living up north that works to my advantage. Send 'em up but keep 'em frosty boys!

*What's not a perk is spending $60 CDN w/taxes. ($52.99) for this otherwise lovely set.

Would I have been happy/as happy with a 33 treatment? Maybe.

Would I Consider myself a satisfied customer? Yes. Without a doubt.

G E, Zafu and Simon A like this.
  15. CBackley

I pre-ordered the Bill Evans SACD along with the full Contemporary series on SACD, paying extra for the ship-as-you-go option. Now Craft says that my Bill Evans SACD will ship with everything else all at once because it was a pre-order. This makes no sense.

16. Rob Hughes

You should send a polite inquiry to their customer service. I had a similar issue and they resolved it in very friendly fashion.

CBackley likes this.
  17. CBackley

I did. I’ll see if this works.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  18. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I bought a copy today from a retailer here in Copenhagen. Completely flat vinyls without a hint of noise. Great sound. Perhaps the best sounding piano trio recording, I have heard on my setup. Great music Evans seems more poetic and emotional than on records from his younger days. Not that I have heard them all.

Zafu and Dignan2000 like this.
  19. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

This just arrived from the US after a month and a good few euros, very hard album to get in mint condition and for reasonable money until it was re-released by Craft as a 2 X 45 rpm last year, I would have been happy with a 33rpm but this does sound spectacular, there's a lovely weight and presence to the whole thing, its mastered by Kevin Gray who is probably the best mastering engineer around at the moment. Mine is pristine, completely quiet.

G E, Zafu, AL01 and 6 others like this.
  20. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Very nice. Agree on the “weight” comment. It just feel tonally perfect.

Mind was busy today & latched on to some memories that were stressing me out. This album is better than a tranquilizer. Did the trick

21. Sounds like you had a great listening session. This album is magical to me. It definitely hits in a very emotional and soothing way. I've been listening to jazz for quite a while now, but I still get a kick out of how music with no lyrics can express so much feeling and emotion. This album delivers that in spades IMO.

Simon A, formu_la, Zafu and 1 other person like this.
  22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I love this album, but my fave is truly From Left To Right. I love the that it's half piano and half electric piano. Bill's playing is purely magical.

23. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

It doesn't have to be vinyl, get the SACD or the hi-res equivalent, or greater, digital download. Yup, one of the reasons why the CD and subsequent higher-res formats made me switch from analog to digital: longer continuous play.

24. G E

G E Senior Member

It’s an excellent production. One of my best.

then I got this:

Bill Evans-Some Other Time-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

This is a stunning achievement in sound reproduction it’s the best sounding record in my collection by a considerable margin.

Pressing problems, took two tries to get a good one. Others report similar issues.

it’s worth the hassle!

NielsSS and timzigs like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, the noisy Craft Record pressing.