Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring - Craft 45 rpm LP, and SoTA digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Swordsandchains, Apr 5, 2022.

1. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

Concord announced this reissue today,

Bill Evans… Tommy LiPuma, Al Schmitt. Plangent tape transfer at 384kHz. Kevin Gray did vinyl AAA will be interested in impressions of both formats.

Great Great Record.

mpayan and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  2. "Without a Song" from KPG's 2022 remaster is available for streaming on Qobuz 24 bit.
    Playing now.
    Sounds great, though I haven't compared with other versions.

3. jamiehowarth

That is not the way I titled this thread and it’s galling.

4. AL01

AL01 Eh?

One of my favorite albums...

And easily my favorite Bill Evans album.

EDIT: Evidently the SACD is being mastered by Paul Blakemore...

Anyone know his track record? Am I better off with the SACD or the 45 RPM LP set in terms of audio quality?

mpayan likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Outstanding choice imo. A big part of me wishes for 33.3 and not 45 rpm. Then I think "Oooo nice. I bet that 45 set will sound fine as a frogs hair split both ways."

But then the other logical part of me says screw both, its piano, get the SACD.

Then again, I go...who is Paul Blakemore? (no offense Paul..)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    CBackley, this_machine and AL01 like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Think this is better than all of the Riverside albums?

7. jamiehowarth

The digitals are SOTA.

CBackley, PATB and AL01 like this.
  8. jamiehowarth

Paul is excellent.

PATB, AL01 and mpayan like this.
  9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    MadCowTX, AL01 and frightwigwam like this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

hvbias, Burningfool, PATB and 2 others like this.
  11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'd say that it sounds a lot like his output on Riverside. It's hard to say if it's better or worse when it's Evans. It's great, that I can tell you.

The only pet peeve I have with this album is the way the bass was recorded. Makes it sound like an elastic band.

AL01 likes this.
  12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Musically or sonically?

13. AL01

AL01 Eh?

I like some of his Riverside material, but it leans a bit more hard bop than I would prefer. There are some phenomenal albums in that era.

The way Bill Evans plays later in his career (and in this album) is so delicate and poignant that I prefer it to his earlier work. I can't really put it into words.

I feel the same way about Chet Baker as well; you see a similar sort of transition, (his later work is not consistent) with the way he plays and sings.

EDIT: Just preordered the SACD. With taxes and shipping it costs as much as ordering the 45 RPM set from Amazon.

14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Have my copy pre-ordered!

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not sure how many of his albums you have heard but much of his late work is faster than the Riverside albums. Try Moonbeams if you like this one a lot.

I have about 40 of his LPs and 25 or so CDs/SACDs. Including this one on LP and CD. To me the Riverside albums are incomparable. Also don’t care to have the MASH song on one side of a 45.

PATB, AL01 and captouch like this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Paul Blakemore is a pretty renowned engineer (maybe not in these parts), he's done a lot of great work for Craft, particularly '58 Coltrane Box which he mastered and Clint Holley cut from this high res digital files. They seem to work together a good bit. I reached out to Clint regarding mastering details on the box before I bought it.

PATB, AL01 and mpayan like this.
  17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

It's funny you say this because I don't feel that way about his Riverside albums. In fact, I always thought that Bill Evans didn't do as good with Hard Bop as he did with Modal and his later stuff reminds me of his softer Riverside albums like Moonbeams and Waltz for Debby.

ausgraeme and AL01 like this.
  18. jamiehowarth

Paul is great.

The original recording by Al Schmitt at Capitol is terrific, though as noted the bass pickup Gomez used was not the prettiest.

mikemoon and dastinger like this.
  19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I believe the discogs' credit is just a quotation from the original record.

20. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

The digital versions have 3 extra tracks.
    Personally I'd prefer a 33rpm version with the extra tracks.

21. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I had the LP's on preorder with Amazon and cancelled when I realized the bonus tracks were missing. Thought I change to SACD but that one is not available from Amazon and Craft adds about $6 for shipping so it just might be the bog standard CD for me. With all these great releases I sadly need to pinch pennies a bit.

frightwigwam, AL01 and fitzrik like this.
  22. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

This seems like a missed opportunity to go 45rpm, 2 discs, and not include the extra tracks. Having the extra tracks on vinyl could help justify buying it and having more content spread out over those 4 sides. I already have this one with the extra tracks on CD:

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring

I personally can't justify paying $40 to have less music and only 33+min at that, spread out over 4 sides. But I'm sure it'll sound great and happy for those that want it and will enjoy it.

awizard, fitzrik and struttincool like this.
  23. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I agree, as they have form it could be risky. As with the Candid releases I’ve ordered mine from Amazon.com, with shipping and vat exactly the same price as U.K. @ £43. Only returning could be problematic but RTI are pretty solid imo.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    dastinger likes this.
  24. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Which Candid releases are you talking about? What did I miss?

25. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

dastinger likes this.