Bill Levenson current ABB (Allman Brothers Band) mastering session *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

It was Moogis. They only met streaming quality needs. Moogis existed for a few years but i believe was always lacking funds so cut corners

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Already Instant Live and Beacon Box ( I have ).

[​IMG]

3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

So Munck Music is not official enough

4. Myke

:laugh: I should've told Joe Bell that, back in 2009, at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium, October 2009, 40th Anniversary show.
    " I know y'all are recording the band, and making these CDs, but...you're just not official enough."
    :wtf:

5. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I'd love a 1st album set to rival Idlewild.......

6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

In that case, ABB should’ve filmed a few nights with professional crews for eventual HD production. Especially the two nights with Clapton could’ve been a big seller...

allbrosca and rockclassics like this.
  7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Please don't let it be suggested I'm insulting the Instant Live cds. I'm suggesting there's a difference between boutique website releases that are mainly purchased by and marketed to hardcore ABB fans, and the general fanbase for whom a celebratory release of the band's final concert in a CD/vinyl box set would be most welcome, with liner notes, pictures, etc., and reviews/advertising in music outlets that build up enthusiasm for and awareness of the release. Like the Fillmore Box set release a couple years ago. A canon release where I can walk down to Amoeba in LA and buy it along with a bunch of other ABB fans who may have never even heard of Instant Live cds.

There's probably a bunch more better options for whatever's coming next. But when it was suggested Levenson might be mastering the final show, I merely said I'd be in for that. I hope I'm not misunderstood about this and hope I don't get any further unwarranted grief for expressing my opinion.

8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I have that as well. Loved that they did this on legit CDs vs CD-R like the majority of the shows.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  9. WarEagleRK

That wasn't on the band's management that time. Moogis was Butch's baby to reinvent the online fan experience, but it didn't pan out as he expected and a lot of fans eventually felt ripped of with some of the post 40th anniversary Moogis experiences.

10. WarEagleRK

Surely we all know what was meant by the post about an official release. The Fox Box just got pushed out in a wider release than the instant live version.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

What a terrific run of shows. Wonderful lineup of guests too. Quality box. I have the 2014 box set with all the concerts from that year. The box housing the CD cases isn't nearly as nice as this one, but the music is great. The ABB went out on top.

12. Kingsley Fats

13 years on down the track.

I'm listening to the Fox Box at the moment
    a) I bought online as it is something very unlikely to appear in any of the stores around here
    b) The online price would be far cheaper than the instore price if stocked
    c) The packaging is rudimentary to say the least
    d) It seems to me that the audience has been mixed much louder than on the original Instant Live as I can quite clearly hear people singing along to some songs which I have never noticed before

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Win, Lose Or Draw was not a "great" album but it was the first ABB record that I bought the day it came out so its kind of special to me. I hope a deluxe edition either that or 1st LP.

pool_of_tears and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. Myke

Don't see how there can be anything in the vault for Win, Lose, Or Draw, as it was already a Frankenstein album, pieced together by Johnny Sandlin, since there was rarely more than one, or two members at a time in the studio, together. The album is a jigsaw puzzle, held together by overdubs.
    Read Johnny Sandlin's book. Search the archives here.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  15. Kingsley Fats

For me the thing that brings the album down a notch or 2 is High Falls, however, the album did intoduce me to the songwriting of Billy Joe Shaver

milankey likes this.
  16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I liked it ok but then Pegasus on Enlightened Rogues made me start to think Dickie was just doing one instrumental per album because it had worked in the past and he was kind of running out of ideas by that point.

17. Myke

Another way to look at that is, Dickey is a master musician, and instrumentals best represented his superior talent.

utopiarun, ssmith3046 and JimSpark like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

I love Dickey's instrumentals from that era.

utopiarun, pool_of_tears and Myke like this.
  19. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

High Falls is one of the only reasons that I listen to that album.

clhboa, utopiarun and Bill Mac like this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

We didn’t know there’d be such goodies on disc 2 of the Brothers and Sisters set. Who knew there’d be such cool rehearsals and jams!? Ya just never know.

I’m sure there were some early jams and rehearsals for Win, Lose or Draw...see the demo of Can’t Lose What You Never Had (sans Dickey) on the One More Try Anthology. Butch also was quoted in saying they did several takes of High Falls, too. And what else was cut by Dickey, Chuck, Lamar, Johnny and Bill (Stewart) besides the 2 tracks that close both sides of the albun? Sure, it’s not the band’s finest hour, but it holds up well enough. The real draw (no pun intended) would be a live set.
    And what kind of demand is there for such a set, from fellow Peachheads? :)

I reckon we’ll see a Super Deluxe of Laid Back, someday, before something for Win, Lose or Draw. I’d be all over that...Either 4 cd’s of album (1), outtakes/demos/rehearsals (2), full live set (3 &4) similar to the Brothers and Sisters set. Or 3cd’s/1 Blu-ray...album, unreleased stuff (1), full live set (2 &3), Blu-ray w/hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround...similar to the Idlewild set. Laid Back is a prime candidate for 5.1

Now, I wonder whats in the vaults from the Rogues period...I gotta stop. This is all too much to handle ;)

21. pool_of_tears

He was great at those

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

Well said

23. pool_of_tears

If one is good at something and enjoys it, I say to keep doing it :)

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd have to disagree with that. High Falls is an excellent track and one of the high points of Win, Lose or Draw IMO.

25. Kingsley Fats

So for all those that like High Falls & see it as a highlight of the album - How do you rate the album overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.