Bill Maher Skewers Superhero Culture

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Boswell, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Some of us don’t live in towns as big as Kansas City.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

You want a smaller town? Name it. I I could give you nearly the same list in Ames Iowa, Lawrence Kansas, Boise Idaho.

Pretty much any place that can support a theater with at least 12 screens is going to have a wide variety of movies playing at it. That's one of the wonderful things about the transition to digital Cinema; you no longer have to make and ship prints, it is as easy for a theater to show an art film as a blockbuster.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Stormrider77, DaleClark and Mazzy like this.
  3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Mary Poppins is a superhero. Duh.

4. Chris DeVoe

True, but she predated comic books. She was a literary superhero, like Gilgamesh.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  5. Mary Poppins didn’t predate comic books First comic book 1933. First Poppins 1934. :tiphat:

6. Chris DeVoe

I stand corrected. Still, Travers never wrote Mary Poppins comic books, did she?

Hardy Melville and Mazzy like this.
  7. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I’m not a big superhero fan but I have been enjoying Superhero related TV shows like the Flash. Good stories and entertaining. Well acted.

Comics or Manga are indeed an artform here in Japan. Some stories are many volumes long so the term graphic novel would fit. The Otaku-centric stuff is probably most known in the west but I prefer lesser known works that are probably not translated into English.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  8. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

You might want to hold onto those leather bound collectibles awhile longer. DC franchises have been dicey lately, and Batman/Superman productions are no exception.

BTW, losing 40,000 Twitter/Instagram followers was apparently enough to make Maher toot his public saxophone about it. The fan defection obviously bothered him.

As for your other declarations, well, I've been into sports, movies, girls and comics a long time and never felt the need to get defensive or make declarations about any of it. :tiphat:

Be charitable, the poor fellow may have fried a few brain cells watching Sons of Anarchy's final season. Alas, that drugged out series ended up being one of the most abysmal wastes of time ever scripted. :hurlleft:

I used to live in a small town. In some ways rural communities are great, but too often they end up being tightly wound enclaves of mediocrity. Moving to more metropolitan surroundings provides greater business and cultural opportunities, and along with it a broader perspective. Just sayin'. :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

It wouldn't bother Bill in the least.. he's a Beatles freak.

10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

He's talked about the Beatles in the past, though I'm sure whatever like he has of their music doesn't compare to some of the fine folks on here.

R. Cat Conrad and skydropco like this.
  11. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

You're right there.. I'm certainly one of those folks! :winkgrin:

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm pretty sure he'd 'draw-the-line' at the 'Who-REALLY-sang-"AHHH!"-on-"A Day In The Life"?' argument that was rolling around here a few months ago!

skydropco, Mazzy and Osato like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Read the last two pages afraid there was no more @R. Cat Conrad outrage. I’m happy to report there was.

Thread saved.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

John Lennon wanted everyone to grow up... for peace.
    [​IMG]

15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Having watched the first 45 minutes of AntMan and the Wasp I understand Bill's rant a little more.

16. That's one of the few Marvel movies where they are not chasing a "glowing thingy".

vince, R. Cat Conrad and skydropco like this.
  17. R. Cat Conrad

Clever film that doesn't take itself too seriously. You should've watched the rest of it. There's a wild car chase that adds a whole new angle to that genre.

Cat

Chris DeVoe and Pete Puma like this.
  18. While we're on the subject and I'm on lunch, I would like to say that the pseudoscience behind Ant-Man is goofy. The things/people getting shrunk would still retain their mass, so I suspect that such a shrunk person would be unable to move; they certainly couldn't ride the back of an ant. And even setting that aside, you couldn't port around a shrunken building like a travel bag. That thing would weigh hundreds of tons and might well crack the sidewalk. Conversely, the giant-sized Ant Man weighing about 170 pounds or so would be able to wield little strength and would easily get blown around, posing little menace. It's be like fighting a giant balloon man.

Still, the writing is good and Paul Rudd a likable character, so it's easy to suspend disbelief. :)

GodShifter and mr. steak like this.
  19. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Possibly but I have no real desire at the moment to get back to it. The humor bored the **** out of me and the action scenes landed flat. By the second time Lang's convict crew were featured players I was hitting FF past those to the next scene. I thought the first one was boring as well so there ya go.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They shoulda used THIS quote on the POSTER!!:biglaugh:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. I got to ask why you bothered watching the sequel if you didn't like the original?

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'll stick to Ronin. Now, that's a car chase! :)

johnod, GodShifter and bpmd1962 like this.
  23. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Time to kill, the wife wasn't watching so couldn't put on something we both found interesting, it's on Netflix so I paid for it, liked a lot of other Marvel movies, had rewatched Incredibles 2 to much enjoyment while sick last week. Perfect storm...for boredom.

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. R. Cat Conrad

I have that as well. Both films are fun to watch within their own respective genres.

Cat

25. Anytime there are Audis, I'm in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.