Bill Wyman-The Quiet One new documentary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Troy4, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

My wife and I watched this a few days ago and we absolutely loved it. I've read some of the reviews in Rolling Stone and The Wrap and understand the criticism, however having no expectations (no pun intended ;-) we were delighted and adored the insights and rare footage. As amazon prime members, we were able to stream it there; not sure how else one can watch it at this time. Highly recommend this documentary.

Peace,

Zafu

Paper Wizard and budwhite like this.
  2. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Re: "The Quiet One"

Wrote this in another thread in visual arts, but pasting here as wouldn't want stones fans that mainly view music corner to miss it. This was a wonderful documentary.

My wife and I watched this a few days ago and we absolutely loved it. I've read some of the reviews in Rolling Stone and The Wrap and understand the criticism, however having no expectations (no pun intended ;-) we were delighted and adored the insights and rare footage. As amazon prime members, we were able to stream it there; not sure how else one can watch it at this time. Highly recommend this documentary.

Peace,

Zafu

enro99, longdist01, Culpa and 2 others like this.
  3. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Saw this over the weekend. It was very enjoyable.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watched it on hulu,
    really enjoyed it!

longdist01 and Gumboo like this.
  5. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I'd like to hear the story of how Jagger was considering
    dropping Wyman in favor of another player. I believe
    other lineup changes were considered as well. Besides
    Brian, of course.

6. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Bill is the only guy I believe when it comes to the history of the Stones.

7. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Really well done film. I liked the anecdotes, animated vinettes, personal film footage, and a look into Bill's archives.

8. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Saw this last night on Hulu (free one month subscription). I really enjoyed the framework - voiceovers mixed with slow tracking shots of the basement while an unidentified old man taps away on his computer in the background. Beautiful. We don't actually see contemporary Bill until near the end when he's eagerly taking photos of bees and flowers. Very rock 'n' roll!

I'm pleased they made an effort to analyze his bass playing technique. It would have been nice to see him noodle away on one, showing what he added to certain Stones songs, akin to the "Classic Albums" series. (IIRC, he has claimed to have a key involvement in Jumpin' Jack Flash's creation.) Very sad not to see him discuss "In Another Land." But relieved that the Howlin' Wolf sessions got a quick reference - wonderful snapshot of Bill and the Wolf and his family.

A lot omitted - his books, restaurant, the Rewind video, Willie and Poor Boys, outside production work, his metal detector, etc. Speaking of Willie and the Poor Boys, Bill is arguably the most charitable of the Stones, but I imagine he vetoed any such references. Charlie's and Andrew Oldham's voiceovers were perfect. We didn't need fresh commentary from Mick and Keith.

Some of the music didn't mix with the chronology, e.g. My Obsession during the early 60s part, and it seems they touched on the '75 tour before Mick T.'s departure.

This made me want to pick up my dusty bass and relearn the thing Duck Dunn/Bill Wyman-style.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    enro99, MerseyBeatle and Spadeygrove like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.