1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Billboard #1 Adult Contemporary Hits 1961-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecdguy, Sep 1, 2019.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It was released some time in March and reviewed in all three publications in the same week's issues (April 1, 1972!). Certainly took enough time to reach the top both regularly and on the EL chart. On Cash Box was the least amount of weeks at the top (3); Record World had it there for 4.

It had been a hit in the UK before that, reaching its ultimate peak of #3 on all three of the UK's charts (BMRB, NME, Melody Maker) on that same April 1 day.

Apparently, in the U.S. different pressing plants got their orders for this at different times. CBS Pitman apparently didn't get the call until late May or some time in June, given: a) the music publishing on the A side (considerably different on first-pressings), b) the presence of 6 point Permanent Condensed with Bold Condensed, a font used since late March at the Pitman plant but would fizzle out by October and last be used in December 1973, and c) the ℗ symbol in use (they used two in this year):
    [​IMG]
    U.S. lacquers for this were cut at Mediasound in New York by Dominick Romeo. A few copies (not all) had this side stereo instead of mono.

Now for contrast on the ℗, here's a record within the same time period by The Moody Blues which didn't make the EL chart, but another of theirs would be a very minor hit here (but bigger elsewhere) later in the year:
    [​IMG]

CliffL likes this.
  2. boyjohn

boyjohn Forum Resident

Another one that I loved back in the day, a number one song about suicide! yay

Pet Shop Boys (along with Elton John) did a pretty sincere cover of this in 2003 (although it wasn't widely available until 2017).

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Never heard any covers of this song. Was it an ironic choice for her at this time?

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

At this time she was a Christian artist signed to Word. She decided to do a secular pop album which Word released on their Myrrh label(where they had their rock and crossover acts. It sank without a trace. It was such an odd selection for a Christian artist even for a pop album.

It was also before her anti gay stand.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks, I was curious about that.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Catch-up.

Where is The Love

I was happy to hear a more upbeat Roberta after several albums of dirge-like renderings. She pairs well with Hathaway and I enjoy the breezy arrangement. Should have been a Pop #1 but I'll take AC and R&B #1.

Alone Again Naturally

I fell in love with this one the minute I heard it and haunted the record stores for a week or so before it finally turned up. The time-honored practice of wrapping dark subject matter in a pretty package is evident and works to amp up the poignancy in the lyrics. I never really cottoned to any of his other hits that I heard except for Out Of The Question although I must admit I haven't heard the vast majority of singles he released before and after AAN and there are a ton!

CliffL and Grant like this.
  7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This reminds me of some of the questionable sentence structures in certain Stevie Wonder tunes in the service of rhyming. Bernie Taupin, too.

8. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next is "The Guitar Man" by Bread.

Peak Date: September 9, 1972
    Weeks At #1: 1
    Weeks Charted: 10
    Hot 100 Chart Position: #11

9. W.B.

Of all Bread's singles through early the next year, this is the only one where I've never seen a CBS Pitman variant. (Pitman had pressed "If," but used Santa Maria label fonts.) It was perhaps their hardest rocking (relatively speaking) to have gotten this high (more so than "Let Your Love Go" or "Mother Freedom").

10. thecdguy

That's what I thought, too. It was just the right level of lite rock without crossing the line into what some would consider "Hard Rock" (or "Hard Rock" as it related to mostly Soft Rock groups like Bread).

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

On any given day and depending on which way the wind is blowing, this is my favorite Bread song. Or maybe it's It Don't Matter To Me. I love the guitar sound here and that fade-out is epic. And wtf with the Pop audience who couldn't be bothered to help it at least reach the Top 10? #11 indeed.

Damiano54 likes this.
  12. thecdguy

I actually thought it peaked at #15 Pop, but it turns out I was confusing it with their next single which also went to #1 AC. Good thing I checked my Top Pop Singles book.

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Any of the Bread songs are welcome in my book. One of the wide stereo songs, "London Bridge" is a favorite.

CliffL likes this.
  14. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't think any of the Bread songs are wonderful. I like Aubrey (still to come, chronologically) best, but Guitar Man is also one of the better ones.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled meeeeee!

I haven't listened to Bread in a long time. Looks like something to play later on.

16. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

He was rhyming with "sang", "rang", and "sprang" - all in one stanza. So while "brought" is the correct number of syllables, it wouldn't have fit.

17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Looking at these labels gives me a real flashback...I bought both singles in 1972. I didn't realize at the time that "Alone Again Naturally" would become such a huge hit.

Grant likes this.
  18. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This was my last Bread single purchased...a nice song about a musician's life.

19. thecdguy

Next is "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me" by Mac Davis.

Peak Date: September 16, 1972
    Weeks At #1: 3 (Consecutive)
    Weeks Charted: 21
    Hot 100 Chart Position: #1 (3 Weeks)

RSteven likes this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Classic. Mac Davis has his very own monster hit.

RSteven likes this.
  21. W.B.

Originally released in May (and thus a "slow burner"), one of the few singles on Columbia at this point to be issued in mono. It was longer on the mono than on the stereo by a few seconds, on the promos.

Cash Box and Record World also had this at #1, but with each publication only for one week.

Didn't do so well in the UK, though. #28 on the New Musical Express chart, #29 on the "official" chart.

22. W.B.

'Round this time, getting as high as #7 on the Easy Listening charts (#1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Cash Box Top 100, but could only get to #2 on Record World's Singles Chart, blocked by Mr. O'Sullivan's little ballad), was a song by Looking Glass, "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)," on sister label Epic. The subtitle may owe itself to another song called "Brandy" that charted very low in the Hot 100 earlier in the year (#91) for its co-writer, Scott English; the Looking Glass' S/T LP which had this did not have the subtitle on it at all. All this would bear particular irony in the years to come (stay tuned). Here's the number, followed by the CBS Pitman label variant:

[​IMG]
    Early lacquers of this had the initials 'SJR' etched alongside the stamped matrix numbers that were a hallmark of Columbia lacquers from the New York studios. The cutting engineer was Stuart J. Romaine.

John B Good, RSteven and Damiano54 like this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Which also forced a title change for an upcoming smash for a first timer.:cool:

Grant likes this.
  24. W.B.

That's the irony of it.

JamieC likes this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

You came. You gave. You don't take.