1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Billboard #1 Adult Contemporary Hits 1961-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecdguy, Sep 1, 2019.

1. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I still can't get over how Morris Albert's "Feelings" didn't go to #1. If ever a song was associated with AC music, that would be it, especially considering the amount of airplay it had at the time and many people referring to it as "Elevator Music".

2. thecdguy

Before we get into 1962, I'd like to mention the songs that peaked at #2 AC in 1961.

"Yellow Bird" - Arthur Lyman Group (#2 for 2 weeks behind "The Boll Weevil Song")
    "Hurt" - Timi Yuro (#2 for 1 week behind "Michael")
    "(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame" - Elvis Presley (#2 for 2 weeks behind "Michael")
    "Tonight" - Ferrante & Teicher (#2 for 3 non-consecutive weeks behind "Big Bad John")
    "Crazy" - Patsy Cline (#2 for 2 weeks behind "Big Bad John")
    "I Don't Know Why" - Linda Scott (#2 for 1 week behind "Moon River")

WLL, RSteven, Grant and 2 others like this.
  3. ShayL

ShayL Forum Resident

So far I'm not familiar with any of these songs (other than Crazy by Patsy Cline, which the OP previously mentioned was #2. I heard it in a movie.) I may stick around to see if anything familiar comes up.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's one of Elvis's better efforts!

I'm going to give that Linda Scott track a listen, but Starlight Starbright is one of the year's very best:

:love:

Apparently it was the flip side of Don't Bet Money Honey (which is meh) and the 45 hit #3 on this chart

thecdguy likes this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I can't say for show when I became aware of Linda Scott's biggest Pop hit I've Told Every Little Star but I definitely remember hearing and liking her '62 semi-hit Never In A Million Years. She did appearances out here back in the day so that's probably why her stuff was played here more so than other areas.

thecdguy likes this.
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

These ones seem obvious for AC. But Linda Scott had a little girl voice, and Elvis was rocking.

thecdguy likes this.
  7. thecdguy

Next we have "When I Fall In Love" by The Lettermen.

Peak Date: January 6, 1962
    Weeks At #1: 1
    Weeks Charted: 13
    Hot 100 Chart Position: #7

Surprisingly, as a group known for its AC-style music, this is their only #1 AC hit, although they did reach the #2 position 3 times after this single.

Joy-of-radio and Manapua like this.
  8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Even though I was a kid in the 60s and an act like The Lettermen would soon be painted as granny music, I enjoyed their cover versions a lot, particularly Hurt So Bad at the end of the decade. WIFIL is such a good tune and I've enjoyed the various versions starting with Nat in the 50s right through Ronstadt in the 80s. A pretty hard one to muck up. And it is amazing they didn't hit the top way more often but again, the vagaries of the charts know no bounds.

Joy-of-radio and thecdguy like this.
  9. John B Good

I don't think I have ever had a Lettermen album, and could scarcely distinguish them from a dozen other male quartets. But I do like their covers now and then when I hear them.

I do remember being enamored with a 45 of Greenfields, by The Brothers Four.

10. thecdguy

I still get them confused with The Vogues sometimes, who we'll be hearing from later on in the 60's, because their overall sound very much resembles The Lettermen IMO.

Grant likes this.
  11. thecdguy

Natalie Cole did a very good solo cover version in the late 80's that had airplay on the AC stations in my area, but even that one only made it to #14 AC (still better than its #95 peak on the Pop Chart, of course). And then there's a version with her father from her "Stardust" album which I haven't gotten around to listening to.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled meeeeee!

Funny! I said the exact same thing on another Billboard thread a few months ago!

thecdguy likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I agree but only in their later Reprise era. Their mid-60s hits like You're The One, Magic Town and Five O'Clock World were on a different, slightly more Rock/Pop level. After Turn Around Look At Me, they dove head first into the Lettermen pool.

Allthingsmusic and thecdguy like this.
  14. thecdguy

True, although I could definitely hear The Lettermen covering "You're The One". And both they and The Vogues covered, "Turn Around, Look At Me".

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I don't know the details or the whys and wherefores but when Reprise issued a greatest hits lp, they overdubbed strings on all their Co & Ce hits, presumably to bring them in line with the more MOR style they were into. I think Magic Town and Five O'Clock World benefited from this tampering although I'm surprised I didn't catch this at the time. Sort of like when Donovan's Catch the Wind was gussied up the same way.

thecdguy likes this.
  16. thecdguy

Yes, I've heard a few of those overdubbed versions and they actually sound good. Not sure, but I think the overdubbed version of "Five O'Clock World" was used for a time as the opening theme of "The Drew Carey Show" in the 90's.

17. thecdguy

Next is "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis Presley.

Peak Date: January 13, 1962
    Weeks At #1: 6 (consecutive)
    Weeks Charted: 9
    Hot 100 Chart Position: #2 (1 week)

The AC Chart life of this song is kind of strange. It debuted at #1 (which I believe is still the only song to this day to do so on the AC Chart), stayed at #1 for 6 weeks and then dropped off the chart less than a month afterwards. Its week-by-week chart positions were 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,8,12. Granted, the chart was still only 20 positions at the time, but how does a song that debuts at #1 and stays there for a month and a half drop off so quickly? Was the airplay on AC Stations so much at the time that DJ's got tired of playing it after 9 weeks?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  18. thecdguy

This song by Connie Francis was kept out of #1 on the AC Chart early in 1962 by "When I Fall In Love" and "Can't Help Falling In Love". It's one of her more forgotten hits nowadays, but it was still one of her biggest hits, peaking at #10 on the Pop Chart as well as #2 AC.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Actually, this sort of thing was fairly common in the 60s. Songs would blaze up the charts and then fizzle out all in the space of a couple of months. If you look at Elvis' chart action on the Hot 100 from this point onward, the vast majority of his songs had a chart life of about two months. Even The Beatles weren't immune to this. Can't Buy Me Love spent half it's entire chart life of 10 weeks at #1 then dropped like a rock.

Suncola likes this.
  20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled meeeeee!

I never understood the mass appeal of this song.

Damiano54 likes this.
  21. thecdguy

Next is "A Little Bitty Tear" by Burl Ives.

Peak Date: February 24, 1962
    Weeks At #1: 1
    Weeks Charted: 11
    Hot 100 Chart Position: #9

Sat at #2 for 3 weeks behind "Can't Help Falling In Love" before moving up to #1.
    Also peaked at #2 on the Country Chart.

22. thecdguy

True, and The Supremes also had a bunch of singles that were on and off the charts within 10-11 weeks as well.

23. John B Good

I like that and Mr In-between very much. I can see he was in his early 40s at the time, which I assume made him an "adult", so its a good fit.

thecdguy likes this.
  24. thecdguy

According to Wikipedia, his birthdate was June 14, 1909, which would make him 52 at the time this song went to #1 AC. He still might be one of the oldest people to have a #1 AC Hit. The only other people I can think of offhand to have #1 AC Hits in their 50's are Frank Sinatra and Tina Turner.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    John B Good likes this.
  25. thecdguy

Next is "Midnight In Moscow" by Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen.

Peak Date: March 3, 1962
    Weeks At #1: 3 (consecutive)
    Weeks Charted: 13
    Hot 100 Chart Position: #2 (1 week)