Billboard Hot 100 October 30, 1971 - Post A Comment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cachiva, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I vaguely remember this! I kinda like it.

Cachiva likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Great summary, as always, Tim.

Though he never reached the Billboard Hot 100 again, Freddie was huge on the country charts in the early- to mid-70s following his unexpected success with "Easy Loving" — with five more consecutive #1 hits and many more that made the Top 1o.

You've probably heard me tell this story before on this board, but for those in this thread that may not be aware of the loyalty and passion of country music audiences…

It helps first to know that Freddie was a big man. Not fat, but quite tall and big-boned, very stocky. Despite this, he really made his mark because his physical appearance contrasted so dramatically with his soft-spoken personality and the gentleness of his style.

I was DJ-ing at a country station during Freddie's run of hits, and emceed a live show he was a part of. After introducing him from the stage, I went back out into the auditorium and found a seat toward the back, a row behind and a few seats to the left of four ladies, who were probably in their 40s or so, I'd guess.

Freddie finished one of his songs, and then launched into another of his big hits. The moment he sang the first few notes of it, all four of the ladies simultaneously whipped out their handkerchiefs and started bawling.

It's still one of the most telling displays of music's immediate emotional effect on an audience I've ever seen.

Cachiva and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  3. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

always preferred this response to the "this has to be a sick joke" Desiderata....

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lovin' Her Was Easier(Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again) - Kris Kristofferson

Not a fan of Country music in general but in the early 70s, there was a spate of easy listening country tunes that attracted my ears and Easy Lovin' was one of them alongside For The Good Times, Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues, Snowbird, Rose Garden and a handful of Charlie Rich songs. Then there's Kris Kristofferson. If you weren't one to pay attention to a song's writer, you'd never know just how many stone cold classic country songs of the era he penned. For The Good Times, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Me & Bobby McGee, Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down, Why Me Lord and this one, his first Top 40 hit. Now this is what talent looks like.

RSteven, Cachiva and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  5. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

not quite the same topic of Superstar for the Carpenters after Jesus Christ Superstar rolled through prior to this chart...

even the Canadian acts are recognized in this chart

for $1,000,000 i couldn't even begin to hum or sing or picture anything mentally about Yo-Yo, which hit #1 in my 'hood

Cachiva likes this.
  6. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I was a sophomore in high school, one of my teachers was getting married,
    and he asked a few of us who played guitar to help out with the wedding. One of
    the songs that was a part of the ceremony was Wedding Song.

That memory doesn't come to mind very often, as this oldie seems to have been
    lost to the sands of time!

7. Cachiva

At Motown Records in the late '60s, Babbitt's thick, fluid bass lines drove the groove on
    songs by the Temptations - Ball of Confusion, Stevie Wonder - Signed Sealed Delivered
    I'm Yours, Rare Earth - Losing You, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - The Tears of a
    Clown
    and many others.

Like his fellow members of Motown's renowned Funk Brothers studio band, he often
    moonlighted for other Detroit labels and studios, including United Sound and Golden
    World, performing on tunes such as the Capitols' Cool Jerk, the Parliaments' I Wanna
    Testify
    , and Freda Payne's Band of Gold.

Babbitt, a Pittsburgh native who moved to Detroit as a teenager in the late '50s, got his
    start on the Detroit music scene playing clubs with the popular local band the Royaltones.
    His signature bass line came in '71, a stellar solo on the pioneering funk-rock song Scorpio
    with Dennis Coffey, himself a former Royaltone and Funk Brother.

"Bob had that big, fat sound," Coffey said today. "The highlight of his career, in my mind, was
    that solo. It set a bass standard. You didn't hear bass solos on records, let alone a hit record.
    Guys were freaking out trying to duplicate it. That was the benchmark for a bass player: You
    had to be able to play that Scorpio solo.'"

Check out these four minutes of pioneering funk rock, remembering that nothing succeeds
    like Sussex!

Dennis Coffey
    [​IMG]

Bob Babbitt
    [​IMG]

SomeCallMeTim, Devin and Grant like this.
  8. Cachiva

[​IMG]

dmiller458 and Grant like this.
  9. Cachiva

It's cracking! Group is from Michigan, but the song was recorded in Toronto.

Shout out for more CanCon! Haha!

Here are the guys, back in the day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bekayne and Manapua like this.
  10. Cachiva

"The former lead singer of Smith" (Baby It's You)

Well you learn something new every day! Wow!

[​IMG]

(Bonus Osmonds coverage!)

11. Cachiva

Plus, a smattering of French, so Fran-Can-Con!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stever likes this.
  12. Cachiva

I agree! I came for the classic Soul, but I am learning about so much more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  13. Cachiva

I get what you're saying. He produced and arranged this one, but still had the
    Funk Brothers as his backing band. The best of both worlds, you could say,
    with the Soul of Stevie in full flow. From 1967 to 1980 he was... untouchable.
    Written by Stevie and his ex-wife Syreeta Wright in 1971. According to Stevie,
    he wrote this song in the Manhattan apartment of the genius singer/songwriter
    Laura Nyro. The synth bass is a dead giveaway he played basic rhythm tracks
    himself; it sounds like an upright (outta sight!) bass during the quiet parts, and,
    that's Syreeta on backing vocals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SomeCallMeTim and JoeF. like this.
  14. Cachiva

I'm here for the CanCon too!

[​IMG]

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I liked Its A Cryin' Shame so much that I sprung for the album. This ballad quickly became another favorite. Too bad she never got bigger in her career.

Gayle McCormick - Gonna Be Alright Now

SonyTek, MikeM and Cachiva like this.
  16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I did not realize Thin Line Between by Pretenders was a cover. Great song, and title.

Cachiva likes this.
  17. Cachiva

Pinay power! WeaklyPedia says:

Fanny was an American rock band, active in the early 1970s. They were one of the first all-female
    rock groups to achieve critical and commercial success, including two Billboard Hot 100 top 40
    singles. The group was founded by guitarist June Millington and her sister, bassist Jean, who had
    been playing music together since they moved from the Philippines to California in the early 1960s.
    After playing through several variations of the band, they attracted the interest of producer Richard
    Perry who signed them to Reprise Records in 1969 as Fanny. The band recorded four albums together
    before June Millington. Following a final album, Fanny disbanded in 1975. The group has continued
    to attract critical acclaim for rejecting typical girl group styles and expectations of women in the rock
    industry generally, and emphasizing their musical skills. Later groups such as the Go-Go's, the Bangles
    and the Runaways cited Fanny as a key influence.

Charity Ball is killer as was their other big hit, Butterboy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And I completely forgot it was produced by Richard Perry, one of my favorite producers throughout the 70s.

Cachiva likes this.
  19. Cachiva

Same here!

The Wikipedia quote suggests that it was Perry who came up with their cheeky name.
    I always assumed that they had named themselves, in something of a self-empowering
    move. If Perry was the source, however, I am kinda disappointed, as it comes off rather
    sexist. Can't argue with their talent, or their wonderful "musicianly" sound!

Click for a wonderful article about how they charmed David Bowie:

The Revolutionary '70s Girl Group That Swept Bowie off His Feet

Here's an excerpt:

They were cool as cucumbers under pressure, and went on to tour with the
    Kinks, Deep Purple, Humble Pie and others. They collaborated with Barbra
    Streisand, Todd Rundgren, and Tiny Tim, and recorded their third studio
    album with none other than Beatles’ engineer Geoff Emerick! Their tracks
    weren’t soft crooners, but anthems meant to make some “hard rock noise,”
    as Jean put it.

[​IMG]

JeffMo, SomeCallMeTim and Manapua like this.
  20. Cachiva

Thank you both, very much for solving a fifty-year-old mystery for me!

[​IMG]

I had always thought they were going for something/someone more like this:

[​IMG]

geo50000 likes this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I used to go to bed with a transistor radio about the time this was a hit, and I have absolutely NO memory of ever hearing it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Cachiva likes this.
  22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And that scene from Boogie Nights (literally) pounds the point home.....

Cachiva likes this.
  23. Cachiva

Damn, I like this one a lot, too! And at the 26 second mark, I thought she was
    gonna lurch into Rainy Days and Mondays, but then she took a hairpin turn!

You know who else her voice reminds me of? Chi Coltrane:

jojo getback, SonyTek and Manapua like this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Wild Night - Van Morrison

As classic as we now regard VM's 70s heyday, it's a puzzle as to why only Domino managed to crack the Top 10. This R&B-styled romper seemed to be a slam dunk when I heard it blasting out of the radio in '71 but it stalled at a just okay #28. Hell, even Blue Money did better! But really, those horns! That bass! The symbols! I mean, COME ON!

Cachiva and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  25. Cachiva

Do you ever pair songs in your memory? Sometimes it's just that they came out
    at the same time. But other times... I don't know why!

So, since about forever years, this song by Lee Michaels has been linked in my
    mind with Lay A Little Lovin on Me by Robin McNamara. No clue why.

Maybe there's a new thread topic here: Name two songs that you remember
    as a pair! But, I'd go and ruin it by insisting that members try and explain
    why the two are paired, so it won't just be another one of those nugatory
    exercises in list generation.

But here's Robin, about a year prior to Lee's arrival, fresh off of his run in Hair,
    and kinda losing his way at the end!

SonyTek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.