"Billions" New TV Drama on Showtime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Season 4 starting up on Sunday March 17.

Shawn, Doug_B, marmalade166 and 3 others like this.
  2. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Hell yes, my favourite current show

Brenald79 and dmiller458 like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I need a new show to watch. Is this good? I hate Malin Akerman (as an actress; I don’t know her personally).

4. Assuming you enjoy the subject matter, it is very good.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

But I’m not sure what the show is about. Hedge fund billionaire guy v attorney general of NY? It obviously goes other places, but that’s the gist isn’t it?

6. Yep, that’s it at a high level. If you like Wall Street-type and law-based dramas you’re in for a treat. Rich character development and intrigue to boot.

Deuce66, ronbow and GodShifter like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m in. Thanks!

Deuce66 and Shawn like this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Clawed-his-way-up-from-the-gutter hedge fund billionaire vs born-with-a-silver-trust fund-in-his-mouth, all-the-right-schools, US Attorney for SDNY.

The US Attorney's wife is a shrink who works for the hedge fund. She and her husband are into BDSM.

Shawn and GodShifter like this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

In preparation for the season premiere I re-watched the final episode from last season. Although the new episode was good, it suffered when compared to last seasons finale. The one thing that struck me was how in the finale's ending it showed Wendy, Chuck, and Axe smiling while brainstorming. But in this new episode it shows Axe and Chuck basically floundering about without a plan, unless....that's part of the plan? We'll see. Most shocking moment had to be Taylor's wardrobe choice, not bad!;)

Deuce66 likes this.
  10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Tuned into the S4 premiere last night and enjoyed it, but it was even a bit more cartoon-ish than it's previously been -- Chuck running around NYC stacking deal on top of deal to close one deal (along with the running parking-pass gag) did add a weird "Oceans 11"-type pace to it, but it was still well acted and engaging (IMHO, of course).

Deuce66 likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It honestly didn't feel as SMART as it usually does. It felt like the writers lost a step during the off season. I'm a fan and usually watch each episode 2x (at least!). The 2nd viewing is usually, for me, akin to having a 2nd helping of a great meal. This time, I'm thinking maybe I missed something because it felt like something was missing!

Deuce66 likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A scent of parody is starting to creep into the show, I wish they would stop with the obscure music references targeting my demographic "tighter than AC-DC in 1978"?? If you break down the episode there really wasn't much there.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That and the Al Green stuff was painful. The rest of it was pretty cartoonish also.

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that -- It was actually driving my wife and I a bit crazy.

It seems like every character on this show -- no matter what age or business -- has to make an analogy using some obscure or semi-obscure music reference that seems directed to later-Baby Boomers / Gen Xers in the viewing audience... Wasn't there a reference to Leonard Cohen and the Chelsea Hotel during an intense meeting or something like that? It was a bit of an eye-roller because the music references come across so forced and gratuitous.

Sprague Dawley and Deuce66 like this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

They only waited 5 minutes for this season’s heavy metal TV shirt and song scene.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Yes and others that I remember from last season, RUSH, Molly Hatchet, Yngwie Malmsteen?? and this was coming from Taylor of all people.

17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Hey - just wondering -- was there any conclusion/character wrap-up with the "Karl" character played by Allan Havey?

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Having problems getting through the ep. 2. The writing and story line in general has really dipped, IMO. And more of those corny references. Sigh.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

At this point it seems clear that Taylor's doomed. She clearly doesn't realize that when it comes to the 'Russian Connection', she's totally out of her depth. No, the question is what's Axe gonna do about it. Will he swoop in and save her? Last season, I didn't care for the idea of her being a 'bad guy', she was such a star for the good guys. This season, I oddly find that I have a lot less sympathy for her. I'm almost anxious to see how Axe manages to shatter her!;)

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Nina Arianda was excellent in last evening's episode. Maybe a new foil for Axe?
    I have a hard time believing that the characters of both Taylor and Grigor are the types who would like Kid Rock.

21. ralphb

I have a feeling that Taylor's fate will be dangling in the wind until the season wind up. They are indeed very smart, but their confidence does not take into consideration the fact that the Russians are ruthless in a non-intellectual, non book learned way. Those duplicitous dealings they are using may work in the business world, but in gangster world, not so much.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They:wave:

ralphb likes this.
  23. ralphb

To quote Taylor: "my pronouns are they, theirs and them."

24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

:love: Axe needs someone who's his equal, especially in business (which is why they ended up in the sack).

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I guess I need to start watching this?

The beginning sequence of the first episode was like, “oh, okay, deeply flawed, weird dude takes on deeply flawed weird dude”. I was underwhelmed. I quit.

Any pros could get me on board. Help me.