"Billions" New TV Drama on Showtime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

How old are the 2 main characters, Rhodes and Axelford supposed to be. And also Dake, who when Rhodes mention Koloff, replied he was more from the Iron Sheik era. Well, that was 35-40 years ago. Was Dake alive in the Iron Sheik era? When Axe says he got pounded on like Dave The Hammer Schultz, that's 45 years ago. Is he in his 50s?

Regardless, I'm just happy to not hear references to millennial entertainers, which mean as much to me as the people they reference on the Dick Van Dyke Show mean to teenagers.

Linger63 likes this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Wow, does Paul Giamatti look different in ads for new episodes starting tonight!

forthlin likes this.
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Good season premiere. I watched it on Amazon Prime. Show has regained focus.

Shawn likes this.
  4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm still on season 2. But it's pretty damned great. A great example of what quality people can do when they really care about quality.

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was able to see tonight's episode on Amazon Prime minutes before my week trial ran out. Really good episode and cleverly sets up the final four or five episodes of this season. I will look forward to watching those sometime in the coming months.

6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"My bonus was $9 million last year." Wendy Rhodes.

7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I was able to watch free on AmazonPrime until S5E2. So I caved and signed up for the $5.49 Showtime teaser deal.

8. Really enjoyed last night’s episode. Can’t really comment further as literally anything is a spoiler!

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Even the fact that you revealed that there was an episode last night is a spoiler. I may just skip it, as a result. I mean, what's the point now?

marmalade166 likes this.
  10. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Just saw the episode that aired yesterday, (which is the next to last episode in this season). Exciting stuff and setting it up for what will be a big final episode of the season, not surprisingly. Lots of twists and turns. Did anybody see the week before with that three minute omelette scene? Wild!

dmiller458 likes this.
  11. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Heaps of time to write these so there's not an ounce of fat. I'm disappointed that they jettisoned the Julianna Margulies thread as it seemed to be headed somewhere kinky but maybe they've dropped the kink in order to streamline things. Of course David Costable is incredibly entertaining but who around here wants to watch an eccentric older guy win over an amazon model?

dmiller458 likes this.
  12. dmiller458

Unmarried men with the kind of money only date amazon models. Married men with that kind of money have amazon models as mistresses.

13. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Basically...

"A man is only as faithful as his options."
    - Chris Rock (standup)

"Ms. Johnson, the only thing you have proven is that a woman in power can be every bit as abusive as a man!" - Catherine Alvarez (character from "Disclosure")

14. mike s in nyc

Anyone else here see the season finale episode of billions? Would be curious what people thought though perhaps we have to hide it as a spoilers thing? (And I’ve just learned of the departure of a certain cast member for next season, which if you see the episode will not be a complete surprise)

Slight spoiler question though if you didn’t see it it won’t make any sense…

One specific question, what was in that package that wax got at the heliport? Look like gold pieces or something? Not sure what that means

15. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I was not a fan of it, but it fell in line with the direction the show was going (i.e., more caricatures than characters, emphasis on style over substance, etc.).

The look on Wendy and Taylor's faces in the closing minutes -- it captured the feeling of this viewer: "OK, more of the same next year? A new supervillain with the same ol', same ol' maneuvers and dramatic interactions?"

I'm sure the pandemic really affected the arc of this show -- obviously, as Damian Lewis was not even in the same country as the other actors during filming -- but this show has gone the direction of broad strokes and dramatic "supervillain" showdowns for a while now. For me, it's still entertaining, but it lost a lot of its original depth.

16. Yeah, outside of the contract I don’t know what the other stuff was. This and the last couple episodes have really been great though.

I’m worried about the future of the show with the departure of Damian Lewis. I can’t really see how it moves forward with the bald guy in charge, he just doesn’t have the same level of presence. I’m wondering if Dollar Bill and the other analyst are off the show for good too.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I'm watching now but I think I'm stopping after one season.

The considerible tallents of Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis lured me in, but I found the plot point of the wife working as a therapist for a firm that her US attorney husband is investigating is such a ridiculous conceit that I have a real hard time trusting these writers. Don't we learn that "truth is stranger than fiction" in Jr College creative writing class?

And then I saw the Metallica episode (and the "opening act" sub plot) and I wanted to throw rocks at the screen.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

We are relatively new fans of the show, binging on series' 1-4 in the past weeks, and now on to series 5.

Is it perfect? No, there are occasional plot holes that only serve to fast-forward the show, and (more than anything) the double & triple-crossing that goes on, even within a given camp, grows tiresome at this point. I mean, who would want to live in that world?

All that being said, this show is a ton of fun, not to mention very well-executed all around, mostly. The characters are obviously imperfect. Some even sociopaths. Yet somehow get you to sympathize (or at least side) with them at some point along the way - even Axe. It's a bit of a roller-coaster. The real challenge is keeping up with ALL of the historical & pop-culture references that are deftly woven into the script.

I do have doubts on series 6, as Corey Stoll does not have nearly the charisma that Damian Lewis has.

Shawn likes this.
  20. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I watched the finale and still didn't realize Lewis was done but I've always thought Corey Stoll was good in whatever. Nothing new was going to happen between Axe and his staff and now we've got a fresh dynamic. Happy Wendy would be boring Wendy so we can count on her to strike out in some ill considered fashion. Chuck and his daughter will make blueberry pancakes.

tonyc and mike s in nyc like this.
  21. mike s in nyc

ha, yes. Corey Stoll is a great actor, i've seen him on the stage a few times (title role in shakespeare's scottish play, and Iago in Othello), and he played a great Ernest Hemmingway in the film 'midnight in paris'. I think the next season all comes down to the writing, -they have great acting talent but can they stay fresh after five or six seasons? I guess we'll see, I'm in at least for now!

22. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

I started the thread but stopped at Season 4. Maybe I'll try and pick it back up. I guess I just lost interest.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He was also good at battling the undead mutants The Strain, although that series degenerated into stupidity.

dmiller458 likes this.
  24. dmiller458

Michael Prince is not a villain. The villain in this show is Chuck Rhodes.

25. Disagree. I think they’re both anti-heroes. As was Axe.

BEAThoven likes this.