"Billions" New TV Drama on Showtime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I had the same ho hum feeling about this show until I sat down and watched episode 3 through 6 and now I am really looking forward to the next one. I mainly enjoy the duality of the characters given their respective sides of the fence, mainly the fact that Giamatti's character may well be more unbalanced and blinded by his own motives than the bad doers he goes after.

Rufus McDufus and Juan Matus like this.
  2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

They are like two sides of the same coin (Chuck and Axe). I have to admit I didn't like it at first and thought it was a bit dumb but it has drawn me in. I will finish the season at least.

ubiknik likes this.
  3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

They used Jason Isbell's "Cover Me Up" in the beginning and end of Episode 8.

Humbuster likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

haven't missed an episode, but............................

it is starting to get very very repetitive. they really need to go somewhere, and quickly because damian lewis foiling paul giamatti's every attempt at catching him doing something wrong is getting real old, real fast.

MartinR, mwheelerk and BEAThoven like this.
  5. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I agree with this point. The last episode bordered on a "spy" thriller with the Axe character as this all-knowing superhuman augur, as it were.

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I had been following along quite well but lost interest and turned it off during episode 8.

7. My biggest surprise - the Attorney General for the southern district of New York 'only' makes $185K a year.

8. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yeah, right?

Perhaps you can clarify something for me? Was the offer Chuck received from that private firm $9 million (!) per year or as that for the term of a contract or some such? Did I hear that right?

Think about it -- If he took that job for one year and banked just 1/5th of it in some type of investment (with Axe! ha!), went back into public work, he'd never have to worry about all his other lifestyle expenses he was complaining about.

9. Yeah, from what I heard he turned down a $9 million annual salary from the law firm. And it sounded like they wanted him more as a figure-head so the job seemed relatively cushy (lots of golf playing, whatever type of vacation plan he wanted, etc.).

But he turned it all down because the other lawyer guy now seems to care more about his own job? And at the risk of jeopardizing his marriage (and allowing his wife to quit working for Axe... or anyone else for that matter)? Bizarre, to say the least.

10. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

$185,100 is the current Executive Level II of the Federal Executive pay scale.

Shawn likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Last night's episode was the best of the series! Much like The Sopranos & Breaking bad, I can't help but root for the bad guy and the bad guy (Damien Lewis) pretty much checkmated everybody last night! But I'm not counting out Giamatti's character just yet. These 2 guys are some serious game-players! Was cool seeing Anthony Edwards (a favorite from ER!), but Giamatti made quick work of him. Giamatti & Lewis seem to be playing Maggie Siff's character against each other, her position was shaky at best from the get-go. She thought she was smart enough to remain above the battle, looks like she's to become a major casualty! Good stuff!

LEONPROFF and Humbuster like this.
  12. If this gets renewed for another season, I'm curious if they will continue with the same 'villain' or will they recast and have a new bad guy for Giamatti to face?

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

This series definitely ventured into unintentional caricature territory, IMHO.

What did folks think of that last scene between Chuck Rhoades and Bobby Axelrod? To me, it played like two superheroes/supervillians having an overly dramatic standoff with a stilted, overly rehearsed dialogue. It was something right off of "SpikeTV." Man, was I disappointed. I'm guessing I won't be back for season 2.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    mmars982 likes this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I enjoyed that scene, especially when Rhodes got all up in his face, almost spitting out the words.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I also thought it was a great scene, especially Giamatti's performance!

16. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

To me the face to face meeting ruined the whole effect of that scene as Axe now knows there was never a bug. Until that point, watching him lose his mind and destroy the place looking for it was very intense. If intentional, I guess then just another example of Chuck overplaying his hand.

BEAThoven likes this.
  17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Exactly. That final scene just screamed to me: "Let's just just break everything down for the audience and explicitly set up the next season as cleanly as possible."

It's as though the writers had to leave as level of a playing field as possible... Leaving Axe looking around his "smoldering" office obsessing if there was/still is indeed a bug would have been quite powerful.

I thought the acting was exceptional -- I just had a problem with the direction and the writing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    JoeRockhead likes this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The scene with Axe ripping his office down looking for a "bug" was very reminiscent of the final scene in the film "The Conversation" with Gene Hackman. If it was intentional, it was done very nicely. The show really picked up steam as it went along and it left enough tentative plot lines and twists for another 3 seasons. Great acting all around.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Saw the pilot , looks ok ,
    had free Showtime this
    wknd , binged on Shameless ,
    may look at it again when the
    dvds come out .

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Binged it , pretty good ,
    looking fwd to S02

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We have been late to this show. We watched episode 7 last night. A very compelling question: What was the chocolate flavored whiskey that Giamatti and Siff were drinking as he tried to placate her?

22. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Just finished watching season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Damien Lewis was on top of his game, probably liking him more in Billions than in Homeland. All in all great series and can't wait for season 2!

Anyone else enjoy it?

23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Yes, looking forward to Season 2 .

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes, loved season 1. My favourite current show. Will probably rewatch soon. Lewis is great as well as many others. Love that scene where he wears the Metallica T-Shirt and jeans to the business meeting and screws over that family for hundreds of millions for revenge on their dad who humiliated Lewis as a teenager as a gold caddy:righton::righton:.

carrick doone and LEONPROFF like this.
  25. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Yes. Loved it a lot. The interaction between Damian and the guy from Breaking Bad are very good.